Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Throttle sick at shifting

D

Don Strausburg

I have a 64 327 4 spd. Starting out cold the car runs great. After a few minutes of running my accelerator sticks for just a few seconds while shifting. Checked carb linkage and spring, all seems OK. It is really getting worse. When I shift (Not at real low speed) it will stick and rev up just a little while shifting. Any ideas of what could cause this?;shrug

It's either binding somewhere in the throttle linkage between the pedal and the carb, or a bent or binding primary throttle shaft in the carb. Make sure the throttle lever isn't hanging up on the top ignition shield.

I don't know your expertise on engines, so please forgive me if my reply doesn't reflect your level of knowledge.

Do you really mean you can feel resistance on the pedal, or feel that the pedal doesn't return immediately when you remove foot pressure, which could be caused by the linkage rubbing against something.

Or do you mean the rpm just doesn't fall off as quickly as it should upon shifting, so you assume the linkage might be sticking?

Or do you mean the car "stumbles" when you feed it gas right after shifting? What about if you just press down firmly on the pedal (without shifting) while cruising in second or third gear?

If the first, then it could be a bad motor mount allowing the engine to roll too much on clutch engagement and bind the linkage, or an air cleaner that was put on slightly off it's correct orientation/position and it's binding the carb linkage (throttle or choke), or bad throttle linkage bushings (or just a need for linkage lubrication), or even the gas pedal hanging up on the rug or floor mat.

If the second, it could be the clutch going bad and slipping on initial engagement.

If the third (hesitation before the engine picks up speed), that's called a "stumble", and it could be a bad accelerator pump (in the carburetor). But that's an under-rev on shifting, not an over-rev. With the car idling in neutral and the air cleaner removed, jazz the throttle to quickly increase the rpm while looking down the carb throat... you should see a very strong extra stream of fuel shoot into the throat while you are opening the throttle.

The strange thing is that you said the problem doesn't occur when the engine is cold. What color is the coating on the inside of your tailpipe after a brisk drive (black & oily, or powdery grey)?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom