Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ticking noise

don7790

Corvette
2013 vy 427 vert
I have an 03 vert and once in awhile I get a ticking noise sound from the engine.It sounds like a lifter type noise.After looking at the TSBs there is one for that type of ticking.It is a bad o-ring on the oil pump pick-up causing aireation of the oil. My question is what is causing the ticking.The oil pressure is good at all times.It seems to me if noise is due to low oil pressure it would show a drop on the guage.I am not sure it is a lifter noise but it sounds like one.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi there,
You might want to try a bottle of Techron to a full tank of gas and reevaluate the noise after.
That is if your noise is only for a few minutes at start up and then goes away.
Allthebest, c4c5

just a guess on my part, but it could also be an exhaust leak. it could present itself EITHER when the engine is cold and the spacing between whatever parts might be leaking is at it's maximum (It will expand when heated and seal under this scenario). it could also be the opposite and the expansion through increased heat will cause the parts to seperate. I REPEAT IT IS ONLY A GUESS, but the exhaust leak could sound exactly like a valve tap or hung lifter tap if that is what it is. if you ever looked at the torque specs for your exhaust manifold you will see that all bolts are not torqued the same. that is to allow for the heat expansion (and therefore better sealing) of the manifold as it "reshapes" when heated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom