Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! "Ticking" sound under the hood

Kimmers

Corvette
2000 Bright Yellow Convertable and 2000 Black Coup
My 2000 C5 suddenly began making a ticking sound under the hood on the driver's side. It seemed to only "tick" once I reached 1,800 to 2,000 rpms and continued to "tick" whether I accelerated or idled down. Thinking it might be a faulty A/C compressor, I tried turning it off but that wasn't it.
I immediately took my vette over to my mechanic who first thought it was an exhaust leak but when checking, he didn't see a problem there.
After spending quite a while searching for the problem, he called in three reinforcements. All four gentlemen literally repair and/or buy and rebuild Corvettes from the bottom up so I was in excellent hands.
While the guys went through many theories, one discovered a lifter which was "going bad" and worked on that while the other three continued to search of my original problem.
After several more hours with no success, my mechanic went back to his original thought of an exhaust leak and discovered that one of the 16 valve train rockers had all but fallen apart. Once the rocker was replaced, the "ticking" stopped.
In summary, if the valve train rocker didn't basically deteriorate, the lifter would not have been found and could have caused major damage to my engine.
I'm sharing my story as for the past three days, I have been reviewing every link on this forum that had anything to do with chirps, squeaks, squeals and ticking under the hood that I could find and in doing so, I realized that there are many issues that could cause these problems but perhaps someone has not thought to check the valve train rockers...
I'm very pleased to have a Guardian Angel that likes my vette.
:happyanim:

Rocker Arm

I had the exact same problem.There are trunion reinforce kits made by Comp Cams that will stop that problem from ever happening again.

I had the exact same problem.There are trunion reinforce kits made by Comp Cams that will stop that problem from ever happening again.

Thanks for the information. I will run the Trunnion Reinforce Kits by my mechanic as I'm sure he'd be interested in a "heads up" on this issue. :thumb

Thank you for posting your findings. It will be a treasure trove for someone in the future.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom