Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Timing an 84

• Thread starter Thread starter brimis
  • Start date Start date
B

brimis

I installed a new timing gear set in my 84 and need to set the timing, I hope its the timing. When I installed the set I made certain the markings on the cam and crank gear lined up and piston one was TDC on the compression stroke. The car will start right up and idle fine, but when I increase throttle the engine "pops" and "pops" again when I release the throttle, at idle all is fine.
My helms states to follow the vehicle emissions control information on the label on the radiator, only problem is the label is gone. What is the proper setting for the L83?
The helms also reads on vehicles with electronic spark timing to disconnect the EST connector at the distributor to cause the engine to operate in the bypass timing mode. Does the 84 have this EST?

Distributor timing

Not sure about your 84 but my 89 does have the EST connector.It is not at the distributor as the helms says. It is a pigtail "connector" at the brake booster. Unplug it,set timing, shut car off and reconnect. I had an 84 and never had to set the timing but I remember the distributor setup being the same. I hope this helps. 89 red/red roadster.

brimis said:
Does the 84 have this EST?
Yes. I am sending pics from the applicable pages in the factory service manual. I hope you can read them okay. I sent a PM, asking for your e-mail.

Essentiallly, the above info is correct; the pigtail is a 4-wire job, at the booster. It recommends checking the timing at 2000rpm w/ and w/o the ALDL connector un, then grounded, for timing changes. This confirms the EST is working.
:w mike

The '84 EST bypass is NOT a 4-wire connector! It's only one (tan) wire, but it is near the brake booster. Factory timing spec is 6 degrees BTDC. When you start it up with the EST disconnected, the CEL should turn on. When you reconnect the EST bypass and start it up, the CEL should go out and your timing mark should be well advanced (almost to the point you can't see it).

Was your timing set one of those with three "keys" cut into the crank gear? Those can get confusing.

I did locate the EST connector and timed the car to 6 degrees. The engine was popping because I crossed # 1 and # 3 wires. When I installed the timing gear kit I removed the plugs to spin the crank freely. When I put the wires back on I crossed 1 and 3. The car is now running fine.
The crank gear had just one key cut into it. I also replaced the damper because the original seperated. I also took the liberty and replaced the wire conduit, it makes under the hood and under the car cleaner, not to mention the additional 10 HP!
I thank all who replied and........ Happy New Year to all!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom