Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tips or tricks related to C2 carpet remove/replace

S

Sams '66

Thinking that I may tackle the job soon.......just looking for some insight....from the masters....

thanks!

Sams '66 said:
Thinking that I may tackle the job soon.......just looking for some insight....from the masters....

thanks!
Until the masters show up, I'll offer a suggestion. Invest in the heat/sound deadener kits for under the carpet. They are already cut-to-fit. I've heard great reports on their effectiveness.

I'll soon be able to test mine out too.
heat-barrier-350.jpg

(Colour is off due to camera flash.)

I also purchased floor mats that match the carpet material and colour exactly. Added protection without changing the appearance.

Thanks.....I plan on using the heat sheilding stuff......Do you know where I can get step by step instructions for the job??

Additional thoughts.

Replacing the carpet is not a particularly hard job. However, some areas are glued in place, such as the covering over the luggage-stop and the storage area board. The carpet on the rear wall of the coupe is also glued in place, but I'm not sure about convertibles like yours.

New carpet is a good cost/benefit expense for these cars.

Sams '66 said:
Thanks.....I plan on using the heat sheilding stuff......Do you know where I can get step by step instructions for the job??
Basic information comes with the kits in the form of piece-diagrams, but since they're pre-cut, it's pretty much like putting a large 10 or 12 piece puzzle together.

You may have more trouble removing the seats than actually replacing the carpet.

67HEAVEN said:
Basic information comes with the kits in the form of piece-diagrams, but since they're pre-cut, it's pretty much like putting a large 10 or 12 piece puzzle together.

You may have more trouble removing the seats than actually replacing the carpet.
Where did you buy your carpet??

Sams '66 said:

thanks!
I did mine 2 to 3 year ago.It was not a hard job just a time consuming project that for sure be relaxed going into it.Yo dont have to be smart to do this just paitenent.if your going to be doing this project soon right now you should be cleaning the bolts under the car that hold in the seats and gas pedal and seat belts.So they come out easy

Material and tools on hand should be

carpet glue (I used a 3M spray on product I forgot the name of it But the can was tall) 2 cans was supposed to do it But I came up short by about a 1/4 of a can that I had to run out and purchase.

Along with the glue 3M had a glue remover that I needed badly to clean up my mess.

I also used surgical gloves because I got the glue all over me and my car and hands even with masking things off.And instead of always having to clean your hands just peel off the gloves throw them out and put a new set on

Sharp razor knife blades and plenty of them.

Childrens driveway chalk

I test fitted every thing several times long before the glue or the knife came out.I then marked every thing with chalk with refrence lines to where it all lines up

The best trick I can share is get a set of long bolts the same size as the gas pedal bolts/screws ,Sharpen the end of them and cut the head of them off and install them in the floor boss for the gas pedal.Use this to set the carpet in its correct posistion on the driver side.I also pre drilles the molded section of the carpet where the bolts go thru.Once its set mark it with the chalk.

Cut and trim the minimum you have to pull it out then spray it with glue let it tac up and then install it.

Have fun and take your time.

The only thing I can add to the above is be very careful around the console. There is not a lot of room for error here. Before you make cuts where the carpet goes under the console, bolt the seats back in because the carpet and pad will be compressed and pull the carpet down away from the console. If you are not careful here, you will have a gap that will ruin the project.

Firemist1 said:
The only thing I can add to the above is be very careful around the console. There is not a lot of room for error here. Before you make cuts where the carpet goes under the console, bolt the seats back in because the carpet and pad will be compressed and pull the carpet down away from the console. If you are not careful here, you will have a gap that will ruin the project.
Excellent advice. Why didn't I think of that? :D

67HEAVEN said:
Excellent advice. Why didn't I think of that? :D

Great advice!.....I am getting the carpet kit for my birthday!!! :beer

Sams '66 said:
Where did you buy your carpet??
Does anybody have any info on the number of different manufacturers/suppliers for carpets? And any recommendations on which manufacturer to use? I'm not sure how many sources there may be, but I've had some aftermarket carpet that faded pretty quickly in the past (don't remember where I got it). Don't believe it met the General's OEM specs for colorfastness, etc.:(

Ron Miller said:
Does anybody have any info on the number of different manufacturers/suppliers for carpets? And any recommendations on which manufacturer to use? I'm not sure how many sources there may be, but I've had some aftermarket carpet that faded pretty quickly in the past (don't remember where I got it). Don't believe it met the General's OEM specs for colorfastness, etc.:(
Ron I used Al Knoch I cant answer on how well it stands up to fade because mine is not left in the sun to fade except for shows and cruises.

I do know about color fade because the carpet in my Deville looks horribly faded and is due for another replacement.

IH2LOSE said:
Ron I used Al Knoch I cant answer on how well it stands up to fade because mine is not left in the sun to fade except for shows and cruises.

I do know about color fade because the carpet in my Deville looks horribly faded and is due for another replacement.
I had some black that faded pretty badly and also was not left in the sun except for cruises and shows. Otherwise, car was garaged daily. How long has yours been installed?

I don't believe mine came from Knoch (would have to look up the receipt), but I've always had good luck with products I did get from Al. Been doing business with him since he was in Michigan, before moving to El Paso!!:)

Ron Miller said:
I had some black that faded pretty badly and also was not left in the sun except for cruises and shows. Otherwise, car was garaged daily. How long has yours been installed?

I don't believe mine came from Knoch (would have to look up the receipt), but I've always had good luck with products I did get from Al. Been doing business with him since he was in Michigan, before moving to El Paso!!:)
I put a tan carpet in the caddy in about in 1996 or it looks deploreable.I have had the black capet in the 66 since 2001 and loosk as it did the day I installed it

The only other tip I would have is to take the carpet out on a hot day and let it warm up, I never found the pieces wanted to take the right shape out of the box.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom