Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Choice Help Needed

C4Tom

Corvette
1993 Black & Silver LT1 A4 Coupe
I am due for a new set of tires on my '93. I currently have Runflats and not going to use them again because the compound is too hard.

I took it to the track last fall and spun the tires 30-40 feet off the line on 5 passes. Still ran a 13.98 though. When on the street, I can spin them through 3 gears on my auto tranny. I have some mods on the motor so the HP is up.

Anyway, I am looking for tire suggestions. What are you guys using and are you totally satisfied with the traction AND longevity of the tires?

I won't touch Firestone tires so those are off the list. :)

Thanks,

I have Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 and you won't spin them through 3 gears. For some strange reason the rears are wearing faster then the fronts though (he he). You are running a decent time with basically a stock setup, similar to mine. I hope I can duplicate your times this summer.Fred

If want to save some bucks on a Z rated tire, run a comparison on Kumho Ecsta, Hankook Ventus, and Bridgestone Fuzion.

JCS44
LT4 Vert

I'll second the vote for the GoodYear F1 D3.

Probably what I'll switch to when the Pilot Sports are done.

I found Kumho tires on the 'net and thought they were worth looking into. From what I've seen so far, they are decent tires. One of the sites I found had these tires for sale at $119 each. They are suppose to have great traction too. AND...they look good! :)

Anyone have these on a Vette?

I looked at the Eagle F1 GS-D3...too much money for me.

The Cooper ZEON 2XS looked like a decent tire too.

Well Kumho makes a very good race tire. I suppose that ought to translate into a decent street tire. I haven't tried them yet.

I have tried Michilen Pilot Sports and many of the GoodYears that fit. I like the F1 SC's on my CTS-V - they really hook up and they are runflats. I'm ready to get rid of the F1 GS EMT's on my 2003 as they are getting harder and noisier than I care to live with. If GoodYear would hurry up and release an F1 SC EMT in C5 size, I'd be interested. In the meantime, I'm leaning toward the Michilen PS AS ZP for the 2003.

As for my old 92, it has Pilot Sports right now and they look like they are going to last another year or so. They are great in the dry and pretty good in the wet. Pricy but worth it. The only problem with Michilen is they stopped making the 315/35/17 so I've got to switch brands in a year or so. The only street tires currently made in my size are by GoodYear, Yokohama and Dunlop. No Kumho's, so I probably will not be trying them.

Good luck with your choice. Please let the rest of us know what you decide and how they work out.

I just put a set of Dunlop SP Sport 8000s on mine. The price was reasonable and I like the footing I'm getting. The main reason though was they have the 335/35/ZR17 available for the rear. I run 275/40/17s on the front on chromed 92 ZR-1 rims. 17 X 9.5 front, 17 X 11.5 rear. I have always run Goodyear up till now, but I have been mildly suprised by the Dunlop. Good luck on your purchase whatever you decide.:lou

1Bad86 said:
Dunlop SP Sport 8000s
I have not had good luck with past Dunlops and would like to know how they age. Are they a rather soft compound, with limited life?

All the Goodyears I have had get noisy with age, but deliver great handling and life. They are my initial choice, being US made. (Besides, I got to fly the Blimp:D , as did my then 9, son):upthumbs .

I just have a hard time thinking of putting Korean made (Kumho) anything on my Vette. Having travelled and bought stuff there for many years (The Land of Almost-Right), I believe in that phrase (modded the national motto: Land of Morning Calm).

Dunlop SP Sport 8000

I think they will be fairly sticky, but with limited life. They have a 200 wear rating and A's on traction and temp. My brother-in-law managed a Corporate-owned Goodyear Service Center here in Hot Springs until they closed it two years ago. He opened his own independent shop and has access to all brands now.:D We are just kinda testing the water on some other high performance tires. I test the tires for him, he gives them to me. A fairly sweet deal, especially if you own a vette. I'll be sure to post some updates on the wear and handling. Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of clutch, wheel bearing and Hydraulic system replacement, I really haven't driven but about a fifty miles since I got them. And with a sick clutch... well you get the picture.

Just let me know if you need help with the tire testing.:D

I'll be right here..................Near the other L.A.------------------- mike

I forgot to mention...I have Y2K Corvette rims on my '93. I believe they are 17x9 up front and 18x10(maybe 11) out back. Anyone want to correct me?

I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT's - P245/45ZR17 front & P275/40ZR18 on the rear. The ride is like a rock and they won't hook up unless I am light on the pedal. Cornering isn't too bad but feels like they are about to let go at any moment. If the road is wet...it's like ice to my Vette. The rear tires almost look like slicks now! LOL

Didn't realize Kumho's were Korean made...well...that puts an end to that idea. :)

I am going for American made so that pretty much leaves me with Cooper, Goodyear, or BFG. How about an opinion between these brands?

No one seems to be mentioning BFG's. Any reason behind that? BFG not making an ultra high performance tire? I know that BFG tends to make a soft tire that hooks up well but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to longevity.

I really like the tread pattern on the Kumho's and the new Eagle F1's. Does anyone make that style tread pattern(v-groove)? I am hoping to keep cost to around $100-120 per tire.

Thanks again guys!

BFG Comp T/As

I forget which foreign tire company owns BFG now.

I have BFG 315-35x17s all around on Epsilon 11"ers. These tires replaced the G/Years I had always run, in an attempt to save a few bucks and check out the competition. The car has spent much of the past 4 years being built and/or refined/repaired so a good comparison is unrealistic. Besides, this engine makes the car a whole different animal! I know they once stuck okay, but now that I have spun them in pairs so much, they are hard and slippery, even with decent tread remaining.

I can attest to their reluctance to smoke until the second or third burnout.:D

WhalePirot said:
I forget which foreign tire company owns BFG now.
Unless it changed recently, Michelin owns the tire ("rubber compounding") portion of BFGoodrich.

Tom,
I have had experience with the following:
Good Year GSCs, GSC run-flats, F1 Steels, F1 GS D3s.
The run-flats were a waste of time. Hard ride and no cornering. :cry
The F1 GS D3s are great. :D Best tire I have ever seen. Stick like glue, in dry OR wet, won't break loose and have a really aggressive and good-looking tread. I have had some vette owners ask me if they are a custom made tire. :)
You can get them thru the Tire Rack and the price is incredibly affordable. :D

Save The Wave! :w

Gregory

I'm running BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWs 285/40ZR/17s front and rear. They aren't the prettiest tire around or run-flats, but they're dependable, quiet, all-weather z-rated rubber for my '93. Plus, I can pick 'em up at the local Wally-World muuuuuuch cheaper than anywhere I've priced them.
:Steer

C4Tom said:
I found Kumho tires on the 'net and thought they were worth looking into. From what I've seen so far, they are decent tires. One of the sites I found had these tires for sale at $119 each. They are suppose to have great traction too. AND...they look good! :)

Anyone have these on a Vette?

I looked at the Eagle F1 GS-D3...too much money for me.

The Cooper ZEON 2XS looked like a decent tire too.

a GREAT deal usually means they get rock hard after a few times you "Smoke" em up.

my D3's pulled 1.81 60' times and had more left in them :D

DSC00450-1.jpg

even like that they were pulling 1.8x 60' times :_rock

i got 9 months of racing/street/racing out of them :D

200 a tire i think from tire rack in the 285/40/17" not sure about the 18" check'em out best street tire on the market!

Geez...this is like buying a wedding ring!
Way more than you want to spend, but you have to get it and if you get the wrong one...you'll regret it. :(

After all the reading and 'net searching I really want the Eagle F1 GS-D3's.
$200 each for the front and $270 each for the rear is just more than I have right now. I may just get them for the back for now and get the fronts later this summer.

I'm wondering, after all this reading, if some of the guys that don't have the new Eagle's didn't have that kind of money to spend just like me??? The Pilot Sports seem to be a really great tire as well.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

The GS-D3's are probably best for you.

I Have experience with the F1 supercar tires but they are more money.

I have some Nitto road racing tires, but they are 100 rated for tread so that's not what you want either. $150 each.

Consider replacing only your 2 rear tires, as that will help your drag racing and cornering (oversteer) but keep the price down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom