Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire options

C_Dogg

Corvette
'07 Vert Triple Black
The noise from these run flats is driving me nuts! Are there any other options for tires without sacrificing performance?;help

Yep, you can get the non run flat Goodyear F1 from Tirerack.com for about $150 per tire. Just bought a pair for our 2000, and she likes them very much. We plan on doing the same on the front of the car when they go bad.

C Dogg
Read the other thread "I Love my EMT's". I think it's a big mistake to change from the run-flats especially when your wife (my mom) does most of the driving. You wouldn't want her stranded somewhere trying to get a tire repaired/replaced. Either you have very sensitive ears or your stereo isn't cranked up enough. Next time you come over, I want to take yours out on the highway. I can't imagine it being that bad! :drink BURRRRRRRP!
Talk to you later,
Scott

I've hit short sections of road where the noise was unbelieveable but for the most part I just hear a nice tire hum no worse than in my 87 .

C_Dogg said:
The noise from these run flats is driving me nuts! Are there any other options for tires without sacrificing performance?;help

C Dogg, the Firestone Firehawk run-flat is a nice choice, it is
alot, alot more quiet than the GY and handles damm well too. It's pretty good in the rain and on sunny days it has excellent grip.
It's also cheaper than the GY EMT's. You can see them at:
www.tirerack.com
Hope this helps....
Herbie

The more run-flats wear the louder the noise is because of the stiff side wall. they are supposed to take you out of harms way with out having to stop where you do not want to stop . If you go to non- run flats you will need to carry a elect. portable air compressor a plug repair kit and a small sizzer jack. Fix-a-flat will not work with the tire pressure sensors, you will ruin the sensors. A cell phone would also be handy. If you do change over to non run flats you will really love them, but is the trade of worth it !!! Only you can decide !!! :beer

You ned to look at it both ways. There are + and - for both options. It is basically a matter of preference. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I would agree with both of you gentlemen. There are pro's and con's with changing over to non-run flats. Most flat tire issues are generally slow leaks that go undetected. If you get a major sidewall blowout, then you would be screwed no matter what tire youn were using. With non-runflats, the car will run alot better. The feel is better, and the softer tires absorb more energy from the bumps etc. I changed over to Michelin Pilot Sports and would never go back to run-flats. I have a small compressor, tire hole plug kit I picked up from Discount Auto Parts. the goop, a cell phone AND AAA. That should cover me. Since I live in Miami, it's pretty easy to get to a tire repair place or dealer as there are quite a few. If I decide to take a long drive through the country,
(which in my case is rare) I could always put the run-flats back on
as I kept them for that reason when I bought the Michelins. I feel comfortable with my decision. It would depend on your drivinh habits and proximity to a qualified repair facility in case of a problem. If you decide to stay with the run-flats, Michelin makes
one I was told that is very much better than the GY. It's only available in the all season. Pilot Zero Pressures I beleive there called and some of the folks at corvette forum swear by them...
Herbie

Giving the Eagle F1's a try.....

Decided to give the non-run flats a try, bought them from tirerack.com for under $600 for set of 4. I am having them mounted this week and will post my thoughts on them once I've run them for a while. Guess I will be purchasing a small compressor and repair kit to go with them too.

Later,

Rick

Rick G, there is a member (Torchy2000) who did exactly that and he Loved them tires!! Good luck and keep us posted
Herbie

Rick,

I di the same thing about 7 mos. ago. I love the f-1's. It's a great value too.

Eagle F1's

Glad to hear some positive replies, I was a little hesitant to purchase the non-EMT tires and even more so when one of the sales reps from Tirerack called me to inquire if I really wanted the regulars F1's instead of the EMT's.

Time will tell.

Rick

I never expected such great response! Thank you for the insight. I'm upgrading to chrome wheels in the next month, at that time I guess I will have to make a decision. So far, I think I will stay with the run flats! The thought of carrying around more stuff "Just in case" with limited cargo space now is a real consideration. So, I will just turn up the jamms and enjoy!:cool

Non-run flats

We just went to Michelin Pilot Sports on our Convertible, and the difference over the stock run flat tires is really remarkable! MUCH quieter, smoother, and seems to handle better, although I haven't really "wrung it out" with these tires, yet. Even the little bumps are way smoother and easier to deal with. Put a can of flat fix in the trunk and let mom ride!
Joe

Put a can of flat fix in .... and let Mom ride.

I'm guessing that is a reference to the pressurized goo in the can for tire inflation/flat repair. This stuff is great for lawn tractors, bicycles, etc. However, if you use it on an automobile/truck tire, you'll need to have the tire removed and all the goo cleaned out asap after use. Otherwise, you will likely end up with a tire that's out of balance and unbalanceable. I found this out the hard way on a Buick with no tire pressure monitors. I can't imagine using it again on another vehicle except in a dire emergency with no spare, and I wouldn't put a can in any vehicle with tire pressure monitors. I keep it around for the lawn mower/bike though. It works best if you use it and then use your mower/bike immediately to get it spread around and hopefully cover the leak.

The only noise I get out of my run flat Goodyears is on a scrabble road. I have no problem with the asphalt and concrete pavements. (I do play the stereo. Once I purchase a vehicle, the stereo is never turned off again. Love that music!)
:Roll

Non-Run Flats

Ok here's the verdict, at least for me anyway. I put the non-run flat F1's on about a week ago and the difference is very noticable. The vette now has a smoother ride and seems to handle a lot better. It doesn't seem to be any quiter, but then again maybe I didn't pay much attention before.

I think it was a good choice, however, the wife is a little concerned about getting a flat now, but she says she likes them better as well, at least as far as ride and handling.

This week we begin "How to fix a flat 101", I don't know how that will go over, but if I have to buy a set of EMT F1's in the near future, I guess we'll have the answer.

Also, on the issue of using "Fix-a-flat", I seem to remember reading somewhere that that will ruin the tire pressure sensors, anyone care to comment on that one? Having one bad sensor is enough, especially when the dealer wants over $300.00 for a replacement. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement cheaper, I would like to hear from you.

Talk to you later,

Rick

Costs you either way

Yes the run-flats are louder
Yes they are rougher
But...
The fix-a-flat goop will gum up (read as destroy) the pressure sensors, and since GM in its infinite wisdom decided it was more cost/weight effective to eliminate the Spare tire, jack and lug wrench on the C5, my choice was made. I think we have all read enough "EMTs saved me" stories to believe that having them and not needing them is better than needing them and not having them (sounds like my gun argument--but I digress). What are you going to do when one blows out in a remote area with no cell service? I hope you never have to find out...just keep your feet and shoes in good shape.
--Drew:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom