Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Tire pressure

rch105

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe
Having recently traded our '87 in on a Y2K, part of the deal was that the Dealer replace all four tires with new ones. This morning they installed 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS EMT's. My sensors show they put in 30 lbs of air pressure while cold.

To get the maximum life from these tires, I'd appreciate some input as to what the rest of you have your's at.

Thanks!
:confused

Rick

30 PSI is the recommended cold pressure and that's what I've always used on my previous C5s and current C6s. 30,000 miles is what you ought to get in tire wear if you drive it 'normally' for a regular car. If you're like my wife and let traction control limit how hard you accelerate from every stop, 22 to 23 thousand on the rear is about it. ;)

Rick,
I am experimenting with tire pressures right now. I'm running Kumho ASX's and at 28 psi cold, the pressure goes up to 32 psi after several miles. The center of the tread on the rear tires is wearing while the outside edges are less worn. This indicates that there is too much pressure. I let the pressure down to 25 psi cold two weeks ago and will report in after several more tanks of gas. The 25 psi cold pressure right now goes up to 28 or 29psi. I'm trying to see if the outside edges start to wear more evenly but that may have to be revisited in July or August when new sneakers are installed.

The last set of front tires lasted approximately 50k miles (could have run another 10k if it were summer) and wore a bit more in the center as well. The rear tires made it to 30k miles. I have to watch pressure during season changes. In spring and summer, the pressure goes up so I let some out.

FYI, I drive 30k miles per year in sun, rain, sleet and snow.

Tire Pressure

Looks like the general concensus is 30lbs. cold! And that's good enough for me! Thanks, Gang!

:beer

I run 31 PSI, but that's because the wheels leak about 2 pounds in 60 days. Other wise 30 PSI is the right pressure.

Are you guys racking up the miles or just driving occasionaly? What tires are you running and how many miles per year do you drive your vette? How is the tread wearing at 30 psi?

I drive my 'vette occasionally. Mainly on weekends when the weather is nice. I'd say less than 6,000/year. I'll be able to give a better figure when I've owned this C5 longer. I just got it a little over a week ago. But if I drive it like I did my C4, that number should stay the same.

Are you guys racking up the miles or just driving occasionaly? What tires are you running and how many miles per year do you drive your vette? How is the tread wearing at 30 psi?

In 4.5 yrs and 30k my non runflat Goodyears in front wore perfectly even across the tread at 30 psi cold, my rears wore the center out slightly by an additional 2mm (2mm center tread, 4mm outer tread) at 30 psi cold. I am trying 28 psi cold in the rears this time with the new tires and seeing how they wear.

Rick,
I am experimenting with tire pressures right now. I'm running Kumho ASX's and at 28 psi cold, the pressure goes up to 32 psi after several miles. The center of the tread on the rear tires is wearing while the outside edges are less worn. This indicates that there is too much pressure. I let the pressure down to 25 psi cold two weeks ago and will report in after several more tanks of gas. The 25 psi cold pressure right now goes up to 28 or 29psi. I'm trying to see if the outside edges start to wear more evenly but that may have to be revisited in July or August when new sneakers are installed.

The last set of front tires lasted approximately 50k miles (could have run another 10k if it were summer) and wore a bit more in the center as well. The rear tires made it to 30k miles. I have to watch pressure during season changes. In spring and summer, the pressure goes up so I let some out.

FYI, I drive 30k miles per year in sun, rain, sleet and snow.
Thats to low,they'll start to scallop on the edges!!:thumb I'm running Kumho AXS's too,I run 33-35 psi in mine in the front,30-32 in the rear!!Yeah,the rears look like there wearing more in the center,but they've looked that way for the last 20,000 miles there kinda deceiving!!:thumb:thumbI changed my alignment settings to my own spec's when I put them on almost 4 years ago!! They'll have over 50,000 mi. on them this summer and I'll probly buy a new set of AXS's before winter,still purdy stable on wet pavement and standing water!! :thumb:thumb:thumbThere still purdy smooth,quiet and responsive in the twisties,and I can still hear my stereo!!:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Thats more than I can say for the rough riding OEM RumbleCraps!:D:D:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom