Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Tire pressure

TOMGIBSON

Corvette
2000 c-5
I BOUGHT NEW TIRES AND THEY ARE MARKED FOR 51 psi, THE DOOR POST IS MARKED FOR 35psi,
THE TIRE DEALER DOES NOT KNOW WHICH ONE IS COIRRECT AND NEITHER DO I .
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

If they are stock size go for the door spec. The higher figure sounds like a max inflation number. What kind of dealer didn't know this?

^
|
What he said!

The number on the side of the tire is the maximum inflation pressure and should never be used.
Unless the new tires are dramatically different in size, use the recommended pressure on the door sticker.

I BOUGHT NEW TIRES AND THEY ARE MARKED FOR 51 psi, THE DOOR POST IS MARKED FOR 35psi,
THE TIRE DEALER DOES NOT KNOW WHICH ONE IS COIRRECT AND NEITHER DO I .
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Actually, I think the proper tire inflation for a 2000 Corvette is 30 psi COLD. :thumb

The pressure on the side wall is the maximum safe pressure for that tire when it supports its load range

The pressure on the door post is the pressure necessary to safely inflate the tires such that all four will support the car at GVW. Keep in mind that in the case of a Corvette GVW is two people, full fuel and little or no cargo. On long road trips the typical Corvette with two people in it is usually quite a bit over GVW.

The pressure you should run in your tires depends on, the tire, how you drive it, how much a load you carry in the car and the outside air temperature.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom