Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Pressure

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello,

Does anyone know what the proper tire pressure is for a the 225-60-15 tires on the 1982 Corvette?
My owner's manual tells me to see the sticker, but the sticker faded away long before i bought the car.

THANK YOU!

If you still have the original tires on the car I sure hope you are not driving on them. They are not safe. Tires have a useful life of about 5 years even if they are not driven on. The fact that the sticker is faded away should be telling you it is time for new rubber. Old tires like that will fail at speed. You should not drive them at more than 5-10MPH.

If you don't know how old the tires are assume the worst.

tire pressure

Hi all, , John Z is right on, 32 psi cold, nearly all tires sold in the last 15 years have the reccommended max pressure on the tire smaller print, example both my vette, and 65 riviera tires recommend max is 35 psi, cold marked on tire,
i put 30 psi in the vette, and 32 psi in the riv ,because the riv is alot smoother and softer than the vette, thats what i prefer, regards.

Here is my method and tire pressure finding running BFG 255/60/15 T/A:
Tire inflation pressure may increase as much as six (6) PSI when hot. Cold tire inflation pressure should be recorded after vehicle has been inoperative for three (3) hours or more, or driven less the one (1) mile. Hot tire inflation pressure should be recorded after vehicle has been driven ten (10) miles or more at 60-70 MPH. If running at speeds over 75 MPH add 4psig to each tire. This is right out of the Chevrolet Service Manual.
I would test both hot and cold tire inflation pressures and record both. My 77 suggests 20psig front and 26psig rear. I test them cold and inflate to 24psig front and 30psig rear and after running them for more then 10 miles at highway speeds the pressure is 28psig front and 32psig rear.
Inflating my tires cold at 24 & 30 the ride is considerably quieter and more comfortable. Your fuel mileage may drop a little using this method but it does ride much better. The BFG sales Representative told me to run tires 4 or 5psig over vehicle manufacture inflation pressure.
Brian

That's maximum pressure which has zero to do with what pressure you should be running.

Could be, but that was his advice, and he sells the tires. I run 35 lbs based on my tire gauge which may not be exactly on the mark but is close.

:)

That, IMO, sounds like way too high for normal driving. I run 30 and I thought that was alot. I remember when radials first came out and guys were replacing their Goodyear Polyglass tires. IIRC (and that was a long time ago;LOL) the article in Corvette Owner said to run something like 24 lbs. I never agree with that and always ran at least 28.

But whatever works for you:cool

The original tires are long gone. I was just hoping that someone with an 82 would be able to look at the sticker on the car and let me know what i should use. My sticker has faded with time, and looks like someone cleaned it with lacquer thinner and took the writing off. Different cars need different pressures (even when using the same tire).

The number on the side is the Maximum pressure. I.E. DON"T GO HIGHER THAN THIS!

That means that when you drive, the air in the wheel expands and actually goes above the value printed on the tire.

Did you ever think that the tire guy told you that so that you would buy more tires?

...Did you ever think that the tire guy told you that so that you would buy more tires?...

Nope. I get very good tire wear out of them and they have never showed signs of being over inflated.

Recommended tire pressure is probably in your owner's manual.

:)

for better gas mileage use higher inflations, for better handling use lower inflations. You have to experiment with what 'feels' best.
But whatever you do, be sure to have a good spare, inflated high enough to use, and a working jack with you, so you're ready for possible problems while yore experimenting.

The pressure on the sidewall is for max rated load. But per the manufacturer, using the max pressure makes the tire last longer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom