Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire recommendations?

X

xtremejimmy

Looking to buy tires in the next month or so, any suggestions on a nice set of tires for my car that arent gonna kill my wallet at the same time?

I have Michelin Pilot Sports. They are not cheap. About $1300 installed at Costco. They are a nice tire. However, I will probably get a softer compound the next time.

It depends on what you are looking for in tire performance. I have heard that the firestone firehawk wideovals are good for a cheap (I think around $700 for all four) set of tires that should last you a long time. I personally run nitto 555RII's in 275 up front and 305 out back. They have a treadwear rating of 100, but hook! If I jump on the throttle from a roll in first I won't spin anymore! I don't think I could go back to a tire that isn't super grippy now, I am spoiled! I have put 4000 miles on my rears so far and they still look good, but I avoid burnouts ect unless I am at the track.

There is a lot of guidance on the Tire Rack sponsors page.I ended up with Michelin run flats because they fit my driving habbits best.I hated like everyone to spend the $1200 but most RF's are in that area.

I have a 2000 coupe not Z06, but decided to go with Z06 size tires.

I went with Toyo Proxes T1-S....
They are awesome and cheap. Had mine installed for $750.

Front: 265/40/17 on a 17 x 8.5 rim
Rear: 295/35/18 on a 18 x 9.5 rim

Rick
rickgrebner@comcast.net

injuner said:
It depends on what you are looking for in tire performance. I have heard that the firestone firehawk wideovals are good for a cheap (I think around $700 for all four) set of tires that should last you a long time. I personally run nitto 555RII's in 275 up front and 305 out back. They have a treadwear rating of 100, but hook! If I jump on the throttle from a roll in first I won't spin anymore! I don't think I could go back to a tire that isn't super grippy now, I am spoiled! I have put 4000 miles on my rears so far and they still look good, but I avoid burnouts ect unless I am at the track.

Nitto's ;) very sticky.

Michelin Pilot Sports here. Noticable improvement from the original Goodyear F1's. Smoother and softer. $1665.00, Costco Hawaii. Haven't taken them to a track days session but I don't anticipate any problems going in either. Very grippy.

xtremejimmy said:
Looking to buy tires in the next month or so, any suggestions on a nice set of tires for my car that arent gonna kill my wallet at the same time?
How many mile do you expect them to last?
If it's not too many The Michelin or Goodyear F1 super cars.
although it sounds to me like you want something more economical, in that case the way to go is the Firestone wide ovals.
I've had mine for about 11,000 miles and 500 of that on the track.
They still have as much tread as the others come with when new!
The cost is considerably less. check them out at the tirerack.com

Do Nitto's come in 19 or 20's.? I would sure like to get a set but I hate to have to buy another set of wheels. I stupidly gave my stock Z-06 wheels in for a credit, when I purchased my new wheels. Didn't know any better and they GOT me!

just put Toyo Proxes 1-R's on my 2001 Z06 - talk about quiet, and they hook up just great on the drag strip! had Z at the last day ever for MD 75/80 dragway, and then just did a quick run from Baltimore to Columbus, OH - have about 1000 miles on the Toyo's and NO COMPLAINTS!

GY SC's

Good years the SiiT, for me, sticky and handle wet well.
A little pricey but you get what you pay for, theres a reason GM puts em on. Beyond the fact that they arent French or Japanese products

BUY AMERICAN!!!

e-hodges said:
Good years the SiiT, for me, sticky and handle wet well.
A little pricey but you get what you pay for, theres a reason GM puts em on. Beyond the fact that they arent French or Japanese products

BUY AMERICAN!!!

Few people know that NONE of the four aftermarket, replacement run-flat tires on the market meet the specifications for run-flats set by GM for the Corvette. For details, see http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=515

Hib Halverson said:
Few people know that NONE of the four aftermarket, replacement run-flat tires on the market meet the specifications for run-flats set by GM for the Corvette. For details, see http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=515

Nor do they care. In the end all the OEM run-flats offer is run flat capability. They don't hook up well in corners or straight aways. They're hard as a rock,- they're ride poorly and they're loud.

Replace them with Goodyear F1-GS-D3's, buy an inflation kit, save a pile of money and have some real performance tires on the car.

Remo:cool

Remo said:
They're hard as a rock,- they're ride poorly and they're load.

Psst: Remo, I think you meant "loud." And I agree.

Rob posted an article recently about about how new materials are being used in runflats (Kevlar, in particular) which make them quieter. Perhaps in a few years this new material tire will be available. I don't know if it means anything in terms of better performance for the tire, so I'm with you on this: that use those performance tires and get a Triple-A membership in case you get a flat. Enjoy the Corvette like it was meant to be enjoyed.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:
Psst: Remo, I think you meant "loud.:w
-Patrick

Thanks - fixed - Remo:cool

I'll assume, since you posted to a Z06 forum, that you're talking about tires for an 01-04 Z06.

From a performance standpoint, the ONLY tire to use on a C5 Z06 is the Goodyear F1 Supercar. It's the only extreme try traction tire which fits the car. Most of the other tires named in this thread, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Nitto 555R2s, Toyo Proxies IR, are all-round ultraperformance tires (and some are quite good) but none are extreme dry traction tires.

You may save money buying Toyos or Nittos, but you'll give away lateral grip and steering response and with those two the deficiency may be quite noticeable. That's penny-wise but pound-foolish because you'll get passed on the inside by cars with good tires. The F1 GS-D3 and the Pilot Sport, while both are better performers than the Toyo or the Nitto, still will not equal the F1 Supercar's combination of reduced tread depth, stiff aggressive outside tread blocks and special compounding.

You want your Z06 to handle right, use nothing other than the Supercar.

Now, there are other extreme dry traction tires which rival the F1 Supercar, namely the Goodrich T/A KD and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R but neither of those are made in Z06 sizes.

Hib Halverson said:
I'll assume, since you posted to a Z06 forum, that you're talking about tires for an 01-04 Z06.

You may save money buying Toyos or Nittos, but you'll give away lateral grip and steering response and with those two the deficiency may be quite noticeable. That's penny-wise but pound-foolish because you'll get passed on the inside by cars with good tires. The F1 GS-D3 and the Pilot Sport, while both are better performers than the Toyo or the Nitto, still will not equal the F1 Supercar's combination of reduced tread depth, stiff aggressive outside tread blocks and special compounding.

Now, there are other extreme dry traction tires which rival the F1 Supercar, namely the Goodrich T/A KD and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R but neither of those are made in Z06 sizes.

Hib,

Give it up - I think Jimmie probably already made his choice - sense he started the thread last October. Gosh I sure hope he bought those F1 Supercar tires. Just for my own edification - how many guys do you suppose actually drive their Z06's right to the edge of it's envelope?:L

F1-GS-D3

Remo said:
Hib,

Give it up - I think Jimmie probably already made his choice - sense he started the thread last October. Gosh I sure hope he bought those F1 Supercar tires. Just for my own edification - how many guys do you suppose actually drive their Z06's right to the edge of it's envelope?:L

F1-GS-D3
If you have been to the track...........you would be amazed, seems like almost everyone is moving up to a Z06. They are amazing compared to a standard coup! even with out track tires or Supercars!

ErnieN85 said:
If you have been to the track...........you would be amazed, seems like almost everyone is moving up to a Z06. They are amazing compared to a standard coup! even with out track tires or Supercars!

Ernie,

I have no doubt that the Z06 is popular at the track. I haven't been to a "road race" track in some time. But if autocrossing counts - I agree, the Z06 is very popular in that venue. They are also pretty prevalent at the drag strip as well. It's just a great all around fast car.

Hib Halverson said:

From a performance standpoint, the ONLY tire to use on a C5 Z06 is the Goodyear F1 Supercar. It's the only extreme try traction tire which fits the car. Most of the other tires named in this thread, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Nitto 555R2s, Toyo Proxies IR, are all-round ultraperformance tires (and some are quite good) but none are extreme dry traction tires.

Thats good enough for me..!

When hib says get Goodyear F1 supercar tires...for the best dry performance....thats the ticket..

Thanks Hib!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom