Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire/Rim Size

MR. T.

Corvette
1977 Light Blue
I am looking to replace the tires on my 77. It has aftermarket rims that appear to be about 7 3/4", it presently has 255/60/15 on the back and 235/60/15 on the front, I think this looks a little goofy, but that is what I got. I am wondering if it would be better to go to a 225/70/15 which appears to be what would have been original, but not sure if they will fit on that rim. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also what brand of tires are going to give a good ride and durability?

Thanks

Are the rims all 15x7 3/4" (I'm guessing rounded up to 15x8")? you shoud be fine with a 235 or 245 depending on how much sidewall bulge you want.
225 may be a tad small but will give you an upright or streched sidewall if you want aesthetics. I personally think it's too small though and like the 235 or 245 look whcih seems to fit the wheel and look better.

What is it that you don't like? Is the sidewall bulge too much for your tastes on the 255? How about the 235? If the rims are all the same size, go with the same size tires all around

We've got the BFG Radial T/As and they have a decent ride.

Oh, please post pictures for a better opinion :)

The biggest single improvement i have made to my Corvette was taking the skinny 225/70-15's off and replacing them with BFG 245/60-15's. The car sits so much better with the wider tires on it and also drives and handles better.

The biggest problem with the set up now is I don't like the look of the two different size tires, heighth wise, but I do like the width. I will look at going with 235 or 245 all around. How did you find this size affecting the speedo?

It did affect the speedometer a little.Not much,maybe 2-3 mph.I'm going to borrow my fathers Tomtom navigation some day and check it to be sure.

I guess I could do the same as I have a TomTom as well. Do you have any pics of the 245's?

Regards

Here's the 245's
DSC00573.jpg

They look good, I think that is the way I am going to go. BTW that is a beautiful car!

Thank you for the kind comment.That bottom picture is my favorite picture of my car. I think the angle the picture was taken shows off the Shark curves perfectly.Someday i'm going to try to find somebody to photoshop the hood closed so i can blow it up.I think it would be a nice picture with the World Golf Hall Of Fame tower in the background.

Well I have run into a snag! I have tried to snag a set of 245/60- 15's but BFG has temporarily halted production and there are none to be had in Canada, and apparently the only company that makes that size is BFG. I have had a number of dealers looking, thought I had a set today, but no. I am likely going to have to go with a 225 or 235/70 15. Firestone doesn't list that size, only other manufacturer of that size is Cooper with their Cobra GT but I have never been a fan of Cooper tires. I am not sure what I am going to do.

Well I have run into a snag! I have tried to snag a set of 245/60- 15's but BFG has temporarily halted production and there are none to be had in Canada, and apparently the only company that makes that size is BFG. I have had a number of dealers looking, thought I had a set today, but no. I am likely going to have to go with a 225 or 235/70 15. Firestone doesn't list that size, only other manufacturer of that size is Cooper with their Cobra GT but I have never been a fan of Cooper tires. I am not sure what I am going to do.
TireRack shows them in stock for $88 each

My 69 coupe is running BFG T/A's 255 on the front and 275 would you believe on the back , my son loves the look but to me its over done im thinking of swapping to 255 on the rear and 235's on the front especially as i dont have power steering on the car , i feel like im going to end up looking like Arnold Swarzenager [ not sure of the spelling ] You guys are spoilt with the cost of tires in the states , if you can get t/a radials here they are about 300 + dollars , cheeper to have them imported with someones car import ??

Welcome to the CAC forum. Have you tried tirerack.com? Don't know if they ship to Australia or how much if they do.

hoso

Welcome to the CAC forum. Have you tried tirerack.com? Don't know if they ship to Australia or how much if they do.
No i havent tried that company , my best option when the time comes is to get one of the importers to add them to his container , just takes a little longer to get here , im in the middle of trying to sort my wiper problem it seems someone in the past has wired the over ride switch as a ignition kill switch because thats what happens if i turn it to the left ??? headache i could say some choice words at this time hahah

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom