Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Rub?

H

Hijinx

OK, pulled the tires to install the shocks and rear leaf tonight and found something interesting. On the Driver side front, it looks like the tire has been rubbing the frame near the rear of the fender well. However, that is where the steering rack lines run, just below it. They are not rubbed. It seems almost impossible for the frame to be rubbed and these lines not. There is no rub on the passenger side. If ya'll remember I have the 255's on order from Goodyear. Now I am worried that I will have problems with them on front. Also, I am a bit troubled that the front end is out of wack. Any thoughts?:confused

I have seen that before, but can't give you any guaranteed answer on why. My 74 always showed signs of rubbing there with 255 60 15 on the front, but never had any problems.

I don't think it is going to be any big deal.

We have a 95 Chevy 3500 series truck. The right front frame rail in just about the same spot and inner fender well is rubbed shinny, but for the life of me I can't figure out why or how.

Yea, the weirdest part is that I inspected the tire closely and it not dark like it should be from rubbing. OH, well. Guess I'll get the 255's and see what happens.

Could it be that the rubbing occurred prior to you having the car and you just never noticed it until you got in there and started looking around, just a thought? Believe it or not, even the much narrower 225/70/15's I run will rub if I'm turning on a really unlevel surface like a grass show field. If the lines aren't rubbed, sounds like you're okay. With all of the flexing these old sharks do, I don't worry about it on mine because it is so minimal and you can't get much skinnier than my tires. I'd go for it and just keep an occasional eye on it.

Maybe it isn't a rub at all?

Could it just be "buffed" from road debris and rain kicked up while driving?
Silver

Problem is that I have the 255's on order. I will test fit them at the Goodyear tire place first. I'll let you know what I find out.

Re: Maybe it isn't a rub at all?

78SilvAnniv said:
Could it just be "buffed" from road debris and rain kicked up while driving?
Silver

Now Heidi, what's all this talk about rain and road debris. I thought Sharks were always in the garage when it rains and we never drive over even the smallest pebble on the road. ;) Actually, I chipped the paint on mine the day I took it home when I pulled off to let Kelly catch up and let a crazy minivan pass me. :eyerole

Hijinx - Another thing that I've seen is trimmed wheel well lips on pre-78 sharks to allow slightly wider tires. This just mirrors the change that Chevy made in 78 for tire clearance.

- Eric

rain & road debris

I'm not afraid to drive my vette, and do so everyday since she is my primary vehicle.

Chip happens. ;)
Heidi

Re: rain & road debris

78SilvAnniv said:
I'm not afraid to drive my vette, and do so everyday since she is my primary vehicle. Chip happens. ;)
Heidi

You go girl :upthumbs! If mine weren't a ragtop, I'd probably drive it more but then the traffic here is a nightmare anyway - just ask Len.

- Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom