Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire size compatablility for a 77

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I am eventually going to replace my tires, maybe next spring. Anyway I have 225/70/15's on the rims now. Will 255/60/15's work, or fit on a 77, and will the speedo read the same with out replacing the driven gear if I made the switch?

The difference in OD is not enough to worry about the speedo, but the tread is about 1.1"ish wider. Not sure if that will cause a rubbing problem on the front fender or frame.

The difference in OD is not enough to worry about the speedo, but the tread is about 1.1"ish wider. Not sure if that will cause a rubbing problem on the front fender or frame.

Yes, the potential of rubbing crossed my mind. I like the looks of the wider tire. It doesn't sound like much, but it is visible.

The original tire that came on your '77 Corvette was a GR70-15, which crosses over to a P225-70R15 in the p-metric sizes on a 8" wide wheel. In 1978, the stock tire for the '78 Corvette was the P225-70R15 and the optional tire was a P255-60R15 on a 8" wide wheel. On the '78's with the optional FE-7 Gymkhana Suspension, GM cut the inner fender well lip off on the front fenders to add clearance with the P255 size tire. The FE-7 suspension lowered the car sightly and I'm guessing tire clearance was a concern to the General. To answer your question, yes, the P255's will fit your '77 on a stock 8" wheel without clearance problems. Even if you have the optional FE7 suspension, I would not expect there to be a clearance problem on the front. A lot of Corvettes out there running the P255's on stock rims with no problems.

On the transmission - speedo question, I do not know. If the P225 has the same or close to same diameter as the P255, your speedo should read the same.

I do know that on my '72, a P245-50R15 on a stock rim will not fit in the rear due to a interference fit with the trailing arm. There are some who call BS on that, saying it should fit with no problems. But it is a '72, not a '77.

The original tire that came on your '77 Corvette was a GR70-15, which crosses over to a P225-70R15 in the p-metric sizes on a 8" wide wheel. In 1978, the stock tire for the '78 Corvette was the P225-70R15 and the optional tire was a P255-60R15 on a 8" wide wheel. On the '78's with the optional FE-7 Gymkhana Suspension, GM cut the inner fender well lip off on the front fenders to add clearance with the P255 size tire. The FE-7 suspension lowered the car sightly and I'm guessing tire clearance was a concern to the General. To answer your question, yes, the P255's will fit your '77 on a stock 8" wheel without clearance problems. Even if you have the optional FE7 suspension, I would not expect there to be a clearance problem on the front. A lot of Corvettes out there running the P255's on stock rims with no problems.

On the transmission - speedo question, I do not know. If the P225 has the same or close to same diameter as the P255, your speedo should read the same.

I do know that on my '72, a P245-50R15 on a stock rim will not fit in the rear due to a interference fit with the trailing arm. There are some who call BS on that, saying it should fit with no problems. But it is a '72, not a '77.
I don't know for sure if I had the FE-7 option, and I'm not sure with out looking it up if it was available in 77, but that being said, I doubt it. There is nothing "lower than usual" looking about it, and it's a base L48. The previous owner rebuilt the front end, and put a composite spring on the rear, but nothing else. He even rebuilt the engine a little over 10,000 miles ago, but rebuilt it to stock specs. YUC! Who the heck would do that?? So it stands to reason that the suspension was not modified either. I can't check right now cause it's sleeping in a barn with other antique cars, but in the spring I can have a closer look at the suspension. If nothings in the way I just may go ahead and go with 255's.

Yes, the potential of rubbing crossed my mind. I like the looks of the wider tire. It doesn't sound like much, but it is visible.

Here's a pretty good side by side comparison.
DSC03772.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom