Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Size

R

RedChev

Can anyone tell me the modern equivelant tire size for a 1970 vette? Maybe the dimensions too. Thanks, :beer
Dave.

Can anyone tell me the modern equivelant tire size for a 1970 vette? Maybe the dimensions too. Thanks, :beer
Dave.
Trying not to be too much of a smartass here, but the modern equivalent is the same as what it was back in 1970...
Which I believe was something like a 15", 70-series tire. Such as a 215x70x15
First number is the width of the tire.
Second number is the height of the sidewall.
Third number is the rim diameter in inches.
:w

Thanks Evolution, Your reply is a start. I have 235/60/15s on now. I have experienced heaver steering than I believe should be. The power steering has been completely checked out and/or rebuilt, including putting gauges on the output of the pump to see if it was putting out spec pressure, which it is. The steering box has been adjusted to the correct ft lbs of torque, Ball joints and steering linkage moves freely when disconnected. So I don't know why the steering is so heavy. Thanks again for your reply.
(It's just an old 'Red Chevy' you know, With a few updates.) ;)

I believe that the second number is the ratio (percentage) of the height of the sidewall compared to the width of the tread. In this case it's 70%. This is part of what determines the overall height of the tire. Older cars like ours had high profile ( 60 or 70 ) tires compared to new cars low profile ( 35 or 40 ). When changing to lower profile tires you need to be careful that the overall height is still enough to fill the wheel opening in a pleasing way. Otherwise you end up with that low rider look.
Regards,
Alan

I have 235/60/15s on now. I have experienced heaver steering than I believe should be.
It could be:
A) Your alignment. If you have an alignment done like mine, it will be harder to turn especially at lower speeds, but will track in a high-speed straight line beautifully. This is the caster settings. While greater caster angles serve to improve straight-line stability, they also cause an increase in steering effort. Three to five degrees of positive caster is the typical range of settings, with lower angles being used on heavier vehicles to keep the steering effort reasonable.

B) Tire pressure too low

C) Both A and B

How old are your tires?When i bought my Vette it had some half tread 225 70 15's on it and it was a bear to steer(i don't have P/S).When i replaced the tires with the BFG 245 60 15's it made a huge difference.Technically the 60's should be harder to turn than the 70's so i'm assuming the old tires was the problem.

The 235 50 15 should be fine, it feels different than the stock size but in a good way.

Since everything checks out right, try loosening the steering box a bit. A tight box is not good in this case :dancenaughty

I'm pretty sure the original width was 7" (considered outrageous in it's day - now about the same as my minivan!).

I went with 225 width tires (BFGs). I don't have PS and the steering is a little heavy by modern standards, but nothing excessive (except when the car is standing still, but then you shouldn't be turning the wheel when the vehicle is not in motion.)

Search the forums here for advice on tires - that's what I did - there's a ton of info on the subject.

J

I'm pretty sure the original width was 7" (considered outrageous in it's day - now about the same as my minivan!).

I went with 225 width tires (BFGs). I don't have PS and the steering is a little heavy by modern standards, but nothing excessive (except when the car is standing still, but then you shouldn't be turning the wheel when the vehicle is not in motion.)

Search the forums here for advice on tires - that's what I did - there's a ton of info on the subject.

J

:boogie (You have a minivan)

But I also have a vette.

You try getting a wife, 2 kids, the dog and four bikes into a vette, then you'll be buying a van too!
:v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom