Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: tire sizes on a 79

zachh

Corvette
1979 black 'n' silver L82 1978 Trans Am Y88
hay,
I'm thinking about putting some new tires on my 79 Corvette. I'd like to put some BFGoodrich radial ta 225 70 r15 in the front, i know they will fit fine. But my question is, will 275 60 r15 fit in the rear without rubbing or should i be safe and drop a size put a set of 255 70 r15 in the rear instead? The car has alot of power and looks agressive and ive always liked the look of the wider tires in the rear. The car has stock wheelwells and the rear suspension is a stock (rideheight, diff, all that stuff). If the 275s will fit thatd be great, but i dont want to hurt my car.... so any input and suggestions from y'll would be highly appreciated!

zachh
www.myspace.com/zaxsouthern79

I am looking at tires and wheels for my 1980 vette. i have thought of 255/60/15 all the way around, or 255/60 on the front and 275/60 on the rear, to get a nice rake?

I have been told to go with a set of 17x8 wheels with 4" Backspace. There are better tire sizes available for the 17" wheels. Also better quality tires in 17"

Will let you kow what i come up with.

Tell me about your headers and sidepipes please, i am considering a set.

thanx
id like to keep my stock mags...they are my favorite rims ever!

The sidepipes are Hooker Sidepipes...i bought mine about 2 years ago from midamerica motorworks, but you can buy them at almost every vette parts store. I've put them on several other cars for people that i know...they are awesome and i love them!
heres a link -
C2 & C3 Corvette Hooker Header Side Exhaust - Mid America Motorworks

I run 255/60/15's all the way around my 81. They fill up the wheel wells and don't rub (that size was an option for the car) and I like the way the feel on the road.

id like to keep my stock mags...they are my favorite rims ever!

..... for-what-it's-worth.....

this '77 Corvette was in-Competition last Saturday evening at Lakeland Motorsports Park, an 1/8-mile drag strip near my home

WldVetOnTrailerLMP12-06-08.jpg

WldVetTires.jpg

it had 28" x 12.5" slicks, mounted on the N90 rims, and the owner claims they barely rub the stock trailing arms on-launch:
because they are on such a narrow rim, the slicks are actually narrower & taller than usual, and measure 12.75" sidewall width at a diameter of 22"

So, basically, if a 275 60 is 28 x 10.8 , they should fit?...Does anybody on here have a vette with 275s on the rear with stock rims and stock suspension?

So, basically, if a 275 60 is 28 x 10.8 , they should fit?...Does anybody on here have a vette with 275s on the rear with stock rims and stock suspension?

I should probably clarify my earlier post..... the owner of the '77 said he had to relocate the E-brake cable, but other than that, everything fitted fine.

Sorry for the confusion
;shrug

I don't belive there's room in the wheel wells of an 81 to allow 275/60's in them and still allow space for turning, or hitting any kind of bump in the road. I don't think the 79 is that much different. If you do go that route and they fit well, it would be great to see some pics posted! By the way, if you can, I'd highly recommend having the tires filled with nitrogen vs. air. I've done that on my vehicles and it really does make a difference in the life of the tires!

I don't belive there's room in the wheel wells of an 81 to allow 275/60's in them and still allow space for turning, or hitting any kind of bump in the road.
Im positive they wont fit in the front, but its the rear that i want to put the 275s on. Im just curious if anyone has done it or seen it done. Im thinking about being safe and putting in 255s in the rear, but i would like the extra width of the 275s...
thanx
zachh

Tire Size:

Im positive they wont fit in the front, but its the rear that i want to put the 275s on. Im just curious if anyone has done it or seen it done. Im thinking about being safe and putting in 255s in the rear, but i would like the extra width of the 275s...
thanx
zachh

Did you ever get your tires? I want do basically the same thing. I have 225/70R15's on my stock rims now, but I want go with something wider in the rear. So for, I've been told that the 255/60 is about my only option.
What do you think? ;shrug
Thanks,
Glenn

Tires!

I use 255-60-15 on 15 by 10 Western Wheels ( Circa 1975 ) on the rear and they fit fine and I've never seen another Vette with them so I'm happy with them since they are different from all the other Vettes. On the fronts I use 235 70 15. PG.

Wheels:

I use 255-60-15 on 15 by 10 Western Wheels ( Circa 1975 ) on the rear and they fit fine and I've never seen another Vette with them so I'm happy with them since they are different from all the other Vettes. On the fronts I use 235 70 15. PG.
Looks Great! :thumb

As a point of reference 225-70's were the stock tires with 255-60's being an option on the late 70's early 80's C-3's. Road tests of the day showed that the car handled better with the 225's!! Also, since each Corvette is different, the factory would have to sometimes shave some fiberglass from the inside of the fenders--usually on the front. Hope this helps.:)

As a point of reference 225-70's were the stock tires with 255-60's being an option on the late 70's early 80's C-3's. Road tests of the day showed that the car handled better with the 225's!! Also, since each Corvette is different, the factory would have to sometimes shave some fiberglass from the inside of the fenders--usually on the front. Hope this helps.:)
I have the 225/70's/15" on the front and rear now. I'm wanting to go with something wider on the rear. So for, I'm finding out that the 255/60's will probably be my only option. I think they are about 1" wider and just a hair lower.
Thanks, :cool

The width of the 275/60/15 is almost 11inches wide. The 255/60/15 is a little over 10 inches wide.
The tire height on the 275 is almost 1inch taller ( 27.99 vs 27.04) . With the numbers here looks like it would be close.

The width of the 275/60/15 is almost 11inches wide. The 255/60/15 is a little over 10 inches wide.
The tire height on the 275 is almost 1inch taller ( 27.99 vs 27.04) . With the numbers here looks like it would be close.
So the 255 would be about 1 inch wider than the 270 and the 275 would be about 2,inches wider than the 270, right?

Thanks,

I dont think any tire company makes a 270. The difference between the 255 and the 275 is about 1 inch in width and 1 inch in height. Being the 275 is wider and taller than the 255.

I dont think any tire company makes a 270. The difference between the 255 and the 275 is about 1 inch in width and 1 inch in height. Being the 275 is wider and taller than the 255.
I'm sorry. I meant the 255 would be about 1 inch wider than a 225, and the 275 would be 2 inches wider than the 225, which is what I have on the front and rear now. :bash

Do you think the 275/60/15 would fit on a 1980 Vette with a 8" rim without rubbing or trouble?

I just went out and checked the distance between tire and trailing arm on my car, ( I have 255/60/15s) and there is about 3/4s to 1inch of clearance. I would suggest you have one mounted on a wheel and then see if it fits.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom