Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire???

king80vette

Corvette
1980 Blue Coupe
My car has the original type of tire on it (Goodyear Polysteel 225 70 15). One of them needs to be replaced because the belts are bad. Can I put BFGoodrich 255 60 15 on it and not get a deduction, if I decide to have it judged? Or should I look for another Goodyear Polysteel tire.
Steve

Here's a thought... Get whatever tire you need to replace the bad one, purchase a spare rim and mount that driving tire on the driving rim. Save the original rim and the Goodyear tire for shows/ judging. Mount it after arrivinal at the show.
Just a thought.
vettepilot

There are only two "non-deduct" tires for a 1980 Corvette for NCRS/Bloomington type judging. One is the one you mentioned, the P225/70 "PolySteel" OR the "Outline White Letter" P255/60 Eagle GT tire. Both are "Goodyear" brand. Since the BFGoodrich tire was a "non-available" tire on the '80 Corvette, a set of these would be a full 60 point deduct(out of 4510). These "PolySteel" tires are not that hard to find. Matter of fact, there are usually two or three sets in the NCRS DriveLine at any given time for sale.

so they are going to judge 84 now. they don,t make gatorbacks anymore do they 225 50vr 16 . how much do they count off for wrong tires

The NCRS "Judging Reference Manual" (available at the NCRS On-Line Store at www.ncrs.org) lists a sliding scale of six different standard deductions for tires, depending on how much and in what characteristics they deviate from the OEM tires. The original-type tires for C1-C2-C3 Corvettes haven't been made for many years either, but many very similar reproduction tires are available from places like Coker Tire.
:beer

so a coker tire would count off a litte and an orginal tire in fair or good shape wouldN't ?i have a set of orginal 68 redstirpe non dot and spare. they look new, its unreal how well the man took care of them over the years .he has a set of orginal gatorback with the stickers still on them in prefect shape for 84-86, i think were the same not sure . what would they be worth?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom