Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires for '81...What do you recommend?

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I need new tires for my '81. I am not buying until beginning of next season but I figured that I would ask for opinions on what type to get. I am more concerned with appearance and ride than performance. I like white letters and am leaning towards Firehawk Indy 500's.
What do you all think?

Not sure what tires to recommend. i prefer white letters as you do. but i like the lettering to be on the small size. goodyear eagles or bfgoodrich look nice.

Run these on the red one, good tire, looks good, handles nice, no complaints.
These are 295x50x15

5z77dib.jpg

Research until you are blue in the face.

Firestone Indy 500's are the best for ride, control, mpg and total mileage.

Alot of people will say BFG, Dunlop, etc.

After 200K miles on my 82, nothing but the 500's compare. Have had them all.

I need new tires for my '81. I am not buying until beginning of next season but I figured that I would ask for opinions on what type to get. I am more concerned with appearance and ride than performance. I like white letters and am leaning towards Firehawk Indy 500's.
What do you all think?

I think the size matters the most. Most tires from the big names are on par with each other these days. Most tires from Firestone and BF Goodrich are more like Coke & Pepsi than in years ago.

:drink

I'd run 255/60/15s on the OEM wheels. Go with white letters on the outside- they are more "period" correct. Stay away from off label tires as they may be more of a stigma than a cost savings.

Not really on topic.... but as for me- I run 255/50/17. I'm running BF G's.
DSCF0255.jpg

My '82 came with Firehawk Indy 500's.
I've put 15,000 miles on it in 1 year and the tires show no sign of wear.
Driving on wet roads is as easy as driving on dry roads.

I liked them so much, i put them on my other car.

Good Luck!

None of the WLR tires available today are "performance" tires. In the 15" size, they are all just for show. Go with whatever ya like, beit in price or looks. Since you're just cruising, it's not really going to matter.

My 2¢ on the BFG's, which I've had on the car since I bought it 14 years ago is that they've never been good tires in the rain. But that could be due in part to the way my car is setup. The Firehawks could potentially act the same way on my car; I don't know. ;shrug

I'm still awaiting the day BFG (now Michelin) comes back out with the Comp T/A's in WLR. They prototyped 'em in 17" on the new mustang before it's release a few years back, but apparently those tires never made it to production. :(

I've got the firehawks on my 77 and I love them. They handle great and look good to boot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom