Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires for '90 C4

DonB

Corvette
2019 ZO6 in Elkhart Lake Blue
I'm considering getting new rubber for my C4. I'm using the 9.5" x 17" wheels and want 275/40r17's. I've narrowed it down to 3 tires. The Firestone Wide Oval Indy, The Bridgestone Potenza RE760Sport or the BFG g-force Comp2. I have Kuhmo Ecsta XS's on it now and they stick like glue, but they are worn and new ones are pretty much unavailable right now. The Mechelin's are expensive and don't rate as high as the 3 choices mentioned. I'm not interested in all-weather tires since the car only comes out on nice days.

I'm leaning toward the Potenza. Any comments?

I have the BFG's on my 86, came on it when I bought it. No complaints on them though it's a 100% street car. Unfortunately I can't speak to either of the other ones.

Looks like you're looking in the $150~ per tire price range and there are several on TireRack.com in and around $150.
Most are "W" speed rating - 168 MPH which is probably good for you and I see you're not worried about driving in the rain.
The only tires I've used on my C4 and newer Vettes are Goodyear and Michelin but several people I know have used the Potenza and have been happy with it.
Ditto the BFG.

As for me, all my cars have Michelin tires and they get a workout in the dry and are driven in the rain. I like them and will buy them again.

The only Goodyear I'd consider is the F1 D3 as it has great dry traction and works great in the rain. Then it appears to be out of your price range and not immediately available.

Later,

Thanks for the input. I found out the Bridgestone Potenza, my first choice, is being discontinued in the 275/40R17 and they are hard to get should I ever need a replacement. Plus believe it or not, there are only 2 available in Chicago from Firestone/Bridgestone. So I'd need to have 2 shipped in and I don't want old stock.
I've opted for the BFG's. I've decided to celebrate further and have a new set of Z06 Chrome dual 5 spoke Mags to be shod with the new skins.

My wife's gonna kill me, but, I've found it's better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission! LOL!

:mad>>>>>>>>>>:happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom