Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires: Need help on sizes

• Thread starter Thread starter barticus
  • Start date Start date
B

barticus

__
I'm shopping for replacement tires for a 1980 with approx 330 hp, and seeking a little advice on sizing. The car has 255/60R15 front, 275/50R15 rear, with Goodyear Eagles up front, BFG Drag Radial in rear. Tires are in great shape, but I want matching tires and the Drag Radial is risky for the Caravan. (Useless in rain.) For now, I'm sticking with the stock wheels.

After research and consulting with a friend who is a tire engineer and sports car driving school instructor, I've honed in on the Yokohama Avid S/T. I'm told they out-perform the traditional BFG Radial T/A, Goodyear, and Dunlops often fit to C3s.

However, they don't come in my rear size. Closest is: 275/60R15 and 295/50R15.

Using the Corvette Action Center tire calculator ( http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/tools/tirecalc.html), give fitment insights in plain language than the size codes.

The stock fitment (255/60R15) stands 27.0 inches tall, with a 10 inch width.
My current rear (275/50R15) stands 25.8 inches tall at 10.8 inches wide.

The alternative Yokohama fitments:
275/60R15 at 27.99 in. tall, 10.83 wide
295/50R15 at 26.61 in. tall, 11.61 wide

The car does have offset trailing arms, but the 275/50R15 do stick out a bit from the fenders. Width and wheel fit, the 275/60R15 sounds better, but the additional inch in height has me concerned about clearance.

Right now the car has track-firm Bilsteins on the rear. I'd like to eventually install a less jarring strut.

Anyone with experience with these fitments or additional insights? Trying to get the recently purchased car prepped in time for Caravan. As I'm discovering with every aspect that warrants attention, the Corvette is more challenging than expected. Sure wish I had a couple more months...

Easy answer seems to be just stick with 255/60R15 on all corners, but I love the appearance with wider rears and feel the additional traction may be important given the horsepower.

Any insights/advice would be appreciated.

I put a set of fireHawk Indy500 255/60R15 on my vette and I love them. See Tire Rack website for specs and reviews. Great tire for the price. Also see forum Goodyear or Goodrich discussion

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom