Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires price

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
I just bought 4 Michellin Pilot Sport (stock size non-EMT) for my Z06. They cost $1240 installed and balanced at Costco. Seems like a good deal to me. Does it seem like a good price to the rest of you?

sounds reasonable to me - did Costco have to special order for you or did they have them in stock? I am needing some new pavement grabbers for my 2001 Z is why I am asking.

c5vetter said:
sounds reasonable to me - did Costco have to special order for you or did they have them in stock? I am needing some new pavement grabbers for my 2001 Z is why I am asking.

They had to order them. It took less than a week. They could not order the Goodyear F1 supercar tires. I thought that Team Corvette switched to Michellin for a reason, so why not give them a try. The F1's at retail would have cost more than $1240.

Let me know how you like them, compared to the supercars.
I'll be buying some new tires this year, probably before Cruisefest. I'm not looking forward to it (the tire-buying, that is. I am looking forward to Cruisefest :D)

Tammy

MsSchroder said:
Let me know how you like them, compared to the supercars.
I'll be buying some new tires this year, probably before Cruisefest. I'm not looking forward to it (the tire-buying, that is. I am looking forward to Cruisefest :D)

Tammy

So far, I like them pretty well. It is not entirely fair, as I compare new tires to nearly bald 2 year old tires. They seem quieter; it is possible to have a conversation on the rough freeway surface through Boise. Under full throttle my tires used to break loose about 4000 RPM in first. They don't do that now. I am going to an autocross school this coming Sunday. I will get a better idea then. I will let you know. I would really like to come to the cruise-in this year, but it doesn't look like it will happen. I will aim for next year.
Jim

DRTH VTR said:
So far, I like them pretty well. It is not entirely fair, as I compare new tires to nearly bald 2 year old tires. They seem quieter; it is possible to have a conversation on the rough freeway surface through Boise. Under full throttle my tires used to break loose about 4000 RPM in first. They don't do that now. I am going to an autocross school this coming Sunday. I will get a better idea then. I will let you know. I would really like to come to the cruise-in this year, but it doesn't look like it will happen. I will aim for next year.
Jim

Jim,

How did things go at the autocross school?

Remo:cool

Remo, so Jim is supposed to be clairvoyant? Autocross is Sunday!

c5vetter said:
Remo, so Jim is supposed to be clairvoyant? Autocross is Sunday!

Rick - (good point) However, I've been practicing my "remote viewing" capabilities. And actually Jim will do very well.

I just want to learn to drive better. I read something not too long ago that made sense to me. People will mod their 'Vettes all over the place and spend lots of money doing it. But the best improvement that they could make for the dollar is to become a better driver.

I have learned to drag race reasonably well, so now it is time for autocross. I will take a high performance driving school in a while- I hope this summer some time.

I will report on the autocross class next week.

Jim

I hate non emt

I hate not having run flat tires. I am afraid to go out of town for fear of having a flat. I keep a plug kit and inflator in the trunk but still don't feel comfortable. I have a new set of BFG T/A on it now and like the tires but. I think i will dump the BFGs and get a set of Good year emts so i can enjoy the car with peace of mind.

Have a good one

Jim

Has anyone tried the firehawks run flats??

Im not a fan of Firestone but the tread pattern looks pretty interesting

OK- Here's the deal-

I took an autocross class all day today. We broke into groups to practice several elements in the morning, then we did an autocross in the afternoon.

The Michelin Pilot Sport (non EMT) performed very well. There were times that I could not believe the car stuck as well as it did. It rained for a while, so some of the runs were on wet asphault. The wet traction was very good. I am quite pleased with the Pilot Sports. I spoke with an experienced Z06 driver, and his comment was that his Goodyears felt greasy some of the time. That is exactly the language that I used to describe my old F1's. In fairness, I am comparing new tires to worn out tires.
I felt pretty good about the autocross. All three of my runs were on wet asphault. The morning practice was dry. The first run, I just wanted to get through the course, and not get lost in a sea of cones. I ran 40.1 seconds. The second run I pushed harder and ran 37.something. The third run I pushed harder yet and ran 35.something. The fastest runs were just below 32 seconds, and were run by experienced instructors in cars set up for autocross. I think I could have gotten to 33 something with some more practice. The Z06 is a great car!

Dom said:
Has anyone tried the firehawks run flats??

Im not a fan of Firestone but the tread pattern looks pretty interesting

I don't know about the Firestone runflats but I like the Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP's I put on my '95...I have the stock Goodyear Runsquats on my '04 and they are noisy little critters....(only 3500 miles so far)
BTW...I looked at the prices from the Tire Rack then went to Firestone and asked if they would match prices and they actually beat prices...:L ...Total including labor was $730.92............and no these tires were not seconds..they were brand new...they would have been $942 plus labor($28)...if I didn't ask them to match prices...:D

Ask and ye shall receive.......:L

I'm thinking about the Pilot Sport or even other "non" run flat tires for better performance and a quiter ride, but I'm slightly apprehensive about driving without a spare or without run flats.

Is there such a thing as a "quite" run flat?

sorry - Yes "Quiet"

Remo said:
Rick - (good point) However, I've been practicing my "remote viewing" capabilities. And actually Jim will do very well.

Hey Jim and Rick,

I just read Jim's remarks about how things went at his Autocross School. It sounds like he did pretty good. How about my "remote viewing" skills? Not bad hugh.

Dom said:
I'm thinking about the Pilot Sport or even other "non" run flat tires for better performance and a quiter ride, but I'm slightly apprehensive about driving without a spare or without run flats.

Is there such a thing as a "quite" run flat?

Yes and they now have "quiet" Borlas also:L

I'd rather listen to your Borlas Screaming in harmony with your engine then to my tire noise ;-)

DRTH VTR said:
I just bought 4 Michellin Pilot Sport (stock size non-EMT) for my Z06. They cost $1240 installed and balanced at Costco. Seems like a good deal to me. Does it seem like a good price to the rest of you?

I have the Pilot Sport on my BMW 540 - they are good tires but have more noise in them than I like - especially at low speed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom