Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

DC/NH

Corvette
94 Polo Green 6 Speed Coupe
I'm about to buy new shoes for my 94. I bought the car last August with the original tires. I am thinking about the BF Goodrich KDW as a good tire for the price. I can't get much of a deal on the "Pilots".

What are most of you using and the general consensus on rubber?

DC

Ah. The neverending debate.

I'm looking too. The tires on my '89 are original and so should be replaced though they have some tread.

A dealer who handles Michelins told me that they are not the tires to get if your car is not a daily driver or at least used very regularly. Michelins will dry-rot faster than some of the others.

I'm between the KDW's and Firestone Firenzas. The latter have the hichest overall ratings and guys I've talked to who own them love them. The only negative comment I got about the KDW tires is that they are very hard compared to others that are available.

Keep me posted.

Tire Rack has good feedback reviews. For me it's Dunlop on the C4. IMHO the Bridgestone tire is far away the best tire made right now but did not come in my size (S1&S2) and they are $$$$.
With tires it really depends on how you drive, where you live and the car itself. In the end buy what makes you happy for the way you drive;)

The tire rack site is a great site. That's where I got the info on the KDW. I also took their price (as well as Tires Online) and went to a local store for price matching. I don't drive in the winter and aviod the rain if I can so the dry traction and hangling rating was important for me on the KDW's. I got a price of $152 for the 255/45's and $174 each for the 285/40's.

They will also hit me with the $61 shipping and $12/tire mount/balance and throw away. I would like the Firestones but they will end up costing another $80 total. I looked into these Kumhos which were dirt cheap but got turned off by the tread, the rating were lower and I don't know anyone who owns them.

Money is an object as this is not a daily driver. I did get some decent prices on the Potenza RE 30's.

It's worth trying to negotiate with a local Discount Tire type store to match pricing and avoid the run around hassel. It's worked for me everytime.
Good luck:_rock

I'm with Carlo on that. Get the price from Tirerack+shipping. Then go to a local dealer and tell them if they can match it you're ready to buy. I did that at the local Firestone shop. I got the Firehawk SZ50s (not the new EP variant) about a year ago. The Tirerack would have charged me about $850 including shipping. And then I pay someone to mount and balance. The Firestone shop matched the price and threw in the mount/balance and free rotation for the life of the tires.
And I love the Firehawks.
Graham

Check out Dunlop

I don't have alot of experience with other brands, but...
my Dunlop SP 5000's have been great. Good traction, wet and dry, soft compound hooks up, not much tire spin, sticks well in high speed and hard driving turns. Compare the prices, they work well.
Chris N :cool

I have replaced my tires many times.
Last time I paid more for the Michelin Pilots.
Best traction and wear so far. Have 53k on them and I know they will hit 65k easy.
well worth any extra money.

for a car of this magnitude the extra cost is peanuts.
:s

Has anyone had any experience with the Dunlop 8000? I believe thats what they are called. Or any other dunlop? I was looking at the AFS wheel and tire combo deal and am wondering if they are any good.

Fulda Tires

Anyone heard of these and/or had any experience? I saw them mentioned in another thread. Possibly owned by Goodyear?

I just bought replacements for mine. Goodyear Eagle F1s from Tirerack.com. My garage mounted and balanced; and tossed out the old ones for $100. I saved over 80 bucks a tire on the best price he could give me. He was more than happy to do the work and save ME some money.
It depends on the shop as to whether they will handle someone else's tires. My guy is the owner of the shop, and did the work himself even though he's mostly the front desk guy these days.
The F1s replaced the GS-Cs that came with the car. They hold the road like they were glued there. But then I am biased when I'm not plied.
-john

DC
I also bought a Polo Green 94 last August. It had 65K on it and a set of GS-Cs that looked almost new. How many miles on your Vette? Just wondering what kind of mileage I can expect to get from my GS-Cs.
John

When I bought the car I had 21K on it. It now has about 28K. I think you got new tires.

DaveHas anyone had any experience with the Dunlop 8000? I believe thats what they are called. Or any other dunlop? I was looking at the AFS wheel and tire combo deal and am wondering if they are any good.

I'm running the 5000 because the 8000 didn't come in my size. The 8000 were my first choice. I love this tire. Sticks like glue and the best rain tire I ever owned. And best of all it's quiet;)

I still have a perfect pair of BFG 275/40 ZR 17 that came off the front of our 90 model with less than 5K miles.

Make me a decent offer and they might be yours!

Thanks but I decided to order the KDW My retire size is 285/40/17 anyway and the fronts are 255.

I think I got the best dry traction and handling I could afford we will see. My only concern is the noise. This tire get decent but not great ratings in this area.

I couldn't find a local 285 Kumho and wished that I knew more about the company and tire. The Michs are too much $ (they make BF Goddriches anyway) and if I get buyers remorse it would probably be for the firestones which sound like a great tire. I was hoping with all their bad Pub that the prices would have dropped but no dice.

DC

Thanks for the feedback c4ever. I've always liked the Dunlop, just didnt know where they stood in all around performance arena. Traction and quiet? Sounds like a good combo to me:) Ilike the 315 /40 they offer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom