Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

Hey, Pedro. :) I sent ya an private message - felt like I was hijacking the thread otherwise.

DocAcumen said:
Yeah, I picked up a set.
Tire%20edit2.JPG

And I may have even gotten them for.....FREE!:)

We shall see over the next few days I guess? ;)
So with the choice I went with on tires, I ask this. Will there be a problem with the sensors? Will they have to be reset? And if so, can I do it myself?

TIA

Doc,

I'm no expert as I've only done this once - but here's what I do know.

The sensors are built into the valve stems, and they don't know what kind of rubber you're running, so yes, they will work. When the tires are installed, make sure the wheels go back in the same place they came off. If you switch left to right, you'll need to get the system reprogramed (or the tires re-mounted).

When my tires were newly installed, the car had to run for a few minutes before the new pressure registered. One took longer than the others, but after less than 10 minutes they were all fine. As a matter of fact, the sensors saved me some aggrevation, as one tire hadn't sealed properly to the rim (in the area where a new weight had neen installed), and the sensors alerted me that there was 5psi lower in the right front tire the next morning. The shop fixed it immediately, but I can only wonder how loing it might have taken me to notice low pressure in a low-profile tire! The guy at the Goodyear Tire Center advised me that there had been occasions when the wheel sensors didn't reset on their own, which woud require a trip to the dealer to get them reset.

As you may know, Z-06s don't come with runflats, nor, I believe, do export cars. GM's solution is no tire pressure sensors, a can of "fix a flat" and a 12v compressor. I decided to leave the wheel sensors intact, and I carry a puncture repair kit and a 12v compressor, and always have a cell phone. A can of goo will ruin the wheel sensors...

Craig-o

Craig-o said:
When I bought tires about 4 months ago, Tire Rack had the GS D3s for $1,004 for OEM sizes, including shipping. Mounting and balancing was extra. When I called my local Goodyear center (in Campbel, CA, who was also the TireRack preferred installer), they quoted me $823 - installed, including CA sales tax. America's Tire Company/Discount Tire quoted me $1,044. That decision was easy.

Craig-o
that is a great price ;)

VETTEX2 said:
that is a great price ;)
Umm, $823 does sound like a good deal!

So far.....:beer Mine are still FREE!;LOL Minus the installation fee? :(

Y'all got to love Wally World! ;) :L :upthumbs

DocAcumen said:
Yeah, I picked up a set.
Tire%20edit2.JPG

How? I want in on this deal!

I got 33K on the factory tires. By that time camber wear on the fronts was getting close to exposing the steel on the inside edges. As someone in this thread has said, at the expense of handling, the fronts can be set to zero camber thus increasing the tire life for a daily driver. I haven't done this because I push my 2000 into 70 MPH 90 degrees when I like.

I got a new set of OEM tires for $1,400 installed when the 1st to 2nd shift activated the traction control. The rears weren't down to the markers, but the tires became 'greasy'.

I hope that this helps you.

Well, I finally got my tires installed today.:D I had them mounted by a local shop. Not driven much since then, but, they do seem to be quieter!

The local shop I delt with, had only once before, or from what I got from them, delt with EMT tires on a Corvette! There first experince seemed to be a bad one! Is there some special way to dismount them EMT's? They told me that the sidewall is so stiff that they are near impossible to get off with standard tire machines? As the story goes, they said that they had delt with once and that they scratched the rims, on the rears only? As I took it, the rears was the only ones that they was replaceing? It ended up costing them like $2400 in rims to replace the ones they scratched!

So, they hand cut the tires sidewall on mine. So to just have to remove the bead on them? Seems that it worked, as I see no scratches. Well, not none! LOL! There does seem to be what looks like scrathes? Where the old Weights where.

Is there an easy , and effective way to get rid of those? This is on 2000 chrome rims.

As of today...... The whole replacement of the set of 4...... Has cost me $107! ;LOL

As I have said, you got to LOVE Wally World! :upthumbs ;LOL

DocAcumen said:
They told me that the sidewall is so stiff that they are near impossible to get off with standard tire machines?
I thought that it required special equipment, and that standard tire machines were not appropriate tools.

DRTH VTR said:
I thought that it required special equipment, and that standard tire machines were not appropriate tools.
I think your right. I went to a local tire place and they sent me to "Just Tires" (used to be the Goodyear Stores) because he didn't have the correct machine to handle the tires. Just Tires had no problem with the EMT's.

DRTH VTR said:
The local Chevy dealer uses an independent tire dealer for the rear wheels on C5's. Maybe also the fronts, but I don't know this.

I've watched the independent dealer's people dismount two of my rear tires to remove a decking screw on two different occasions. It was no big deal. It looked easy with their equipment. They told me that the the critical factor was the tire machine. They (independent dealer) have to invest in a more costly set of machines because this is what they do. The Chevy dealer avoids this cost and outsources the few Corvette jobs.

I have also seen them, purely by coincidence, dismount and mount Viper tires. I believe, as they say, it is a matter of having the more expensive equipment.

DRTH VTR said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAcumen
Yeah, I picked up a set.
Tire%20edit2.JPG

How? I want in on this deal!
For the rest of the story!

As some of you know I asked about buying some tires a few days back. I looked at the places that where suggested, and others, including local shops. I found that I could get what I wanted as cheap as anywhere at Wally World!
whatever.gif

Being a special order deal, I just placed the order online! You order them and they are shipped to you local store. During the order they ask for a CC#, But states that your card will not be charged. You will pay when you pick them up.

Anyway the tires arrive, I get a call, and go to pick them up. I get there see them setting there , and tell the guy I am here to pick up that set of tires. So he gets a couple women to come over as he does not know how to deal with this? (guess it was the first time any of them had delt with a order like this?) They him haw around for a few min. scan the tires, start reading the ship info on them, mumbeliing to each other the whole time. LOL! Then they all turn to me and ask did you allready pay for these?

Seeing where this was going, I just replied that I had to give a CC# to place the order.
wink.gif

OHHH they all say, guess you are good to go then!
grin.gif

Me and the guy carry them out, throw them in the back of my Jeep and I leave....
cool.gif

No reciept, no money trades hands? NAADAA!! NOTHING!!

DocAcumen said:
For the rest of the story!

As some of you know I asked about buying some tires a few days back. I looked at the places that where suggested, and others, including local shops. I found that I could get what I wanted as cheap as anywhere at Wally World!
whatever.gif

Being a special order deal, I just placed the order online! You order them and they are shipped to you local store. During the order they ask for a CC#, But states that your card will not be charged. You will pay when you pick them up.

Anyway the tires arrive, I get a call, and go to pick them up. I get there see them setting there , and tell the guy I am here to pick up that set of tires. So he gets a couple women to come over as he does not know how to deal with this? (guess it was the first time any of them had delt with a order like this?) They him haw around for a few min. scan the tires, start reading the ship info on them, mumbeliing to each other the whole time. LOL! Then they all turn to me and ask did you allready pay for these?

Seeing where this was going, I just replied that I had to give a CC# to place the order.
wink.gif

OHHH they all say, guess you are good to go then!
grin.gif

Me and the guy carry them out, throw them in the back of my Jeep and I leave....
cool.gif

No reciept, no money trades hands? NAADAA!! NOTHING!!
What did it cost you to get the new tires mounted and the old tires disposed? Who did this?

Did the pressure sensors all work?

If the answers are acceptible, Wally World will get my business on the next set.

doylede,

I had my tires mounted by a local GateWay tire center. They are not equiped to do EMT tires, as they found this out the hard way! LOL! They had attempted to change the rears on a Vette once before, and cost them $2400 in the way of new rims that they scratched!:(

But, as I had no desire to keep the old EMT's ;) , they were worn out no need for them! ;LOL There is an easy solution for any shop that is not EMT equiped.
Simply use a utillity knife to cut the sidewall away from the bead. The bead is then simply to break loose from the rim. The stiff sidewall is the sticking point with standard tire equipment.

My sensors work fine! Just be sure that they know not to replace the valve stems, and that they put the wheels back on the same location they came off. I made that very clear to them, and mine work fine!

They mounted and balanced my set for $107. Pretty cheap I would say, considering that they spent all that time, and what must be work to cut all 4 sidewalls out! ;LOL :upthumbs
But, I would not hold my breath on getting as lucky as I did on the Wally World deal! It could happen I guess? Just have to find the right bunch of BOZO's working when you pick them up!;LOL

DocAcumen,

Great story! Inspires me to try to save a few bucks. Enjoy your ride!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom