Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

Corvette
1988 Flame red coupe 4+3
It's that time. Need new tires. Car has 255/50-16's on it. Not a great selection in that size anymore. Looking at Falkens and Sumitomos. Any opinions would be appreciated. Will probably buy them thru tirerack or discounttire next week. Anyone have any experience with either?

I just bought 4 new falken 275/40/17 512s and they seem good. Last week I took them into the hills of So Cal and they handled really good. Don't know about the tread life since they are so new.

mark

I've used tirerack numerous times for all my vehicles, never had a problem, highly recommend them.

I don`t have any expieriance with the tires you have mentioned,but I have used Firestone Firehawks in that size which I purchased from Tire Rack awhile back,and I can honestly say that I felt that they were a great wearing and handling tire both dry and wet.

father & son

Put Falkens on thru Discount Tire $403.00 out the door price. 84 C4, P255/ 50/16's work great and look great!
vette1_15_6-14.jpg

I have had the Falken Ziex 512 for a little over a year (about 5000 miles) and they are great tires for the money. They are wearing well and handle very nicely too. I don't consider myself an aggresive driver, but I have my moments. I can recommend the Falkens.

A little late here but my 84 needs new skins and I am having 4 Falken 512's put on Thursday. Glad to see the good remarks.

TireRack has GoodYear Eagle F1 D3 my rears 285/40/17 they were just over $200.00 each. I had Falken on the TA, but after a year they were rock hard but still had 70% of the tread on them. I guess after so many heat cycles the compound hardened. My Michelin Pilot Sports were the best tire I have had but they were so soft (Great Traction) they were worn thin in 15,000 miles(even the fronts).

My size is 255-50ZR16 and it is getting to be tough finding that size in certain tires. I have Avon ZZ1's on there now and they were great but you cannot get them anymore. They cost me 150 a piece in 2002 when I only replaced the fronts. When I got the car it had fairly new Avons on back and dry rotted Yokohamas on the front which is why I only did 2. The Falkens are 97.85 each so much more reasonable and seem to get good reviews.

:beer

My size is 255-50ZR16 and it is getting to be tough finding that size in certain tires. I have Avon ZZ1's on there now and they were great but you cannot get them anymore. They cost me 150 a piece in 2002 when I only replaced the fronts. When I got the car it had fairly new Avons on back and dry rotted Yokohamas on the front which is why I only did 2. The Falkens are 97.85 each so much more reasonable and seem to get good reviews.

:beer

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=86&y=7

Click on this link. The Dunlop tires that were on my ZR1 Replic wheels from AFS on my wife's TA were great in the wet and dry for the money. I would have put them on the Vette but they were out of my size.

I wasn't having a problem with the 16" size it was the 255/50 that is not made alot.

I had the Falkens put on today and they ride real nice and seem to handle good. I am sure they will do the trick for me.

I am a big believer of OEM replacements but found myself away from home with my 96 and got a bad RF tire.(nail in sidewall at tread, no repair to be made) Bought 2 Sumitomos and alls I can say is wow!. Really good price, and good looking. The major diff from the Goodyears GS-C is that they ride much less harsh. They seem to smooth out the bumps (as much as it can on a Vette). I pushed them in corners and they haven't complained yet. I have 900 miles on them and have got caught in the rain so I can tell you they have excellent traction wet or dry. If your looking for a pic let me know and I'll try to figure out how to post one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom