Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
What is everyone running for tires on their ZR?

I need to start shopping around for tires and I'm leaning towards Goodyear Eagle GSD3s (although I'm not sure if they are discountinued) or Michelin Pilots?

Rob, I put Sumitomo HTRZ's on my 90 towards the end of last summer. I don't drive the car very aggressively, just around town and a few highway trips. I like them. There are a couple of threads on the zr1netregistry forum dealing with tires, you might want to check there. Here is one dealing with the rear tires, but is about tires in general. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2255
The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are still out there, I found them on tirerack.com

Good luck!

Jim

The GS-D3's are great, IMO. Enough grip that they hook well from a start when the weather was warm. 1st gear can break 'em loose in winter though. And they are a good rain tire, if you need to worry about that. And the car was noticeably quieter after putting them on.

I was going from 5-6 year old GS-C's though.

Tire choices for ZR-1s...at least good ones...are slowling becoming limited.

Goodyear no longer makes the F1 Supercar in ZR-1 sizes. GY still has the F1 GS-D3 in ZR-1 sizes and, while the D3 isn't the killer dry traction tire that the Supercar is, it's one of the 2 or 3 best, all-round, ultra-performance tires on the market. The Pilot Sport is another.

While my normal tire on my ZR-1 is the F1 Supercar (I have one set on the car now and a second set bagged and stored in a cool/dry place) I have, on occasion, used F1 GS-D3s. In fact, I put the D3s on for the 03 Corvette Caravan on which we saw a days worth of bad weather. They are a great all weather tire!!

If I were you, I'd go with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s.

I'm in the same boat needing to replace the original GY's on "The Beast" as they're all checked and cracking. I saw these on eBay (Vredestein Sessanta Tires). I asked the seller about front tires as well and they do have them available. $695 + shipping for a full set.

GREAT looking tire.
design.jpg
ultrac_sessanta.gif

Anyone know anything about them? Here's the website.

*** Update ***
Another reply from the seller states that the tires are made in Holland. They also stated that they have had some very good reviews on the tires.

Before ordering, go to E Bay - AFS Corvette Z06 chrome wheels & tires. (I would have written the link, but I don't know how.) In that ad there is a comparison of a Vredestein 275 width vs a Toyo 295 width. The Vredestein 275 is the same width as the Toyo 295. I don't know anymore about the Vredestein tires, but they look good.
Just wanted you to order the proper width tire.

When I replaced the GY EMTs on my 98 I went to the non run flat GS-D3s; I really liked them-quieter and hugged the road better in my opinion then the stock tire. I recommended them to a friend who is a very picky car owner. He put them on his 2002 and told me later that everything I said about them being a great tire was true. I put a small compressor in my trunk so if I had a flat I could air it up and travel on for a repair. Had to use this one time and it worked well.
Now my 99 rears are looking a little worn so I am looking at GS-D3s again. Price is right and tires are great!
Bill in TN

Vredestein Tires

Got this off the web site....

Mr. R. Oudshoorn, CEO of Vredestein continues: “The number of fast cars is growing apace, particularly in Europe. Partly because drivers are using official tuning programmes to improve their car's performance still further, demand for 'fast tyres' to handle speeds of up to 300 km/hour has increased. The Ultrac Sessanta meets all the requirements of these demanding drivers, who want to get the utmost from their car and tyres. Performance and optimum safety are of primary importance for them."

Giugiaro
Vredestein has built up a completely unique position at the top of the tyre segment, partly thanks to its successful collaborative partnership with Giugiaro Design. Innovative features of the Ultrac Sessanta include the wide longitudinal groove and the curved grooves branching off towards the outer edge of the tread. This gives the Ultrac Sessanta a totally unique footprint. The footprint actually has four longitudinal grooves, three of them running at a slight angle.
Vredestein calls this its Sophisticated Longitudinal Design (SLD). Thanks to this ingenious design, the Ultrac Sessanta is asymmetrical, but does not behave like a directional tyre: so separate left and right tyres are not needed. This tread design also makes the Ultrac Sessanta exceptionally quiet. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:

<o:p></o:p>
<!-- / message -->
Sent them an E-Mail...reply below

This is the answer from our Tyre Information Centre to your question:

The Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta is an non-directional tyre, different left and right tyres are not needed. The picture in the attachment will clarify it. The tread design is asymmetric, one circumferential groove next to grooves with a small angle (α) compared to the driving direction. The single circumferential groove should be on the inside when mounted under the car. This is aslo indicated by the words ''inner side'' on the sidewall of the tyre. The surface of the footprint on the left and the right side is equal to each other. So this has no effect concerning traction.

<!-- / message -->The outcome..

have about 250 miles on them now.. First impression is they have a stiffer sidewall than the GY-SC’s. Cornering is great , interstate driving very smooth even into 3 digits (on the track) . Took very little weight to balance them only .50 on the rears and just a bit more on the fronts.

<!-- / message -->

I ended up ordering a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 from Discount Tire. Should be in early next week. Going to bag-n-save the originals incase a future "caretaker" would want them for showing.

*** Update ***
The new GY Eagles went on "The Beast" Friday night after work. Drives like a totally different car now. LOTS of grip and a major reduction in road noise. Well worth the extra dollars IMO.

I've got Perellis on my 90. But now that I see a Dutch tire, well that's it I want some. The saying in my family is "If you aint Dutch- You aint much" My family was one of the original Dutch settlers in New York. Sure wish I had that land now.

Rob, I put Sumitomo HTRZ's on my 90 towards the end of last summer. I don't drive the car very aggressively, just around town and a few highway trips. I like them. There are a couple of threads on the zr1netregistry forum dealing with tires, you might want to check there. Here is one dealing with the rear tires, but is about tires in general. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2255
The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are still out there, I found them on tirerack.com

Good luck!

Jim

Sumitomo's on sale at the tire rack. I just paid $225 shipped for two rear ones. All four would have been $420 shipped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom