Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To Buy or Not to Buy 1997vs2001

R

Rufus1050

I'm presently looking to move up from a C4 to C5 vette. It has been tuff wrestling with the huge difference in technology between the two classes and I'd appreciate some advice from those of you, particular those that are technically savvy to lend a hand. I've driven a 1997 and 2001 and am currently looking at another 1997. I debating whether or not I should go with the 97 that has 74 M and is 10 yrs old or the 2001 that has 67K. There's 2 grand difference the asking prices ( $19 for the 97; 21,5 for the 01) but a world of difference in the manner in which each has been serviced. The 97 has been serviced by the dealer when there have been code issues and its owner seems somewhat knowledgedable about mechanics while the newer car has mostly been serviced by other than a corvette specialty mechanic. Granted neither owner has stated that much maintenance has been required other than tire sensors on one and anti-knock sensors on the other. Neither have had any maintenance on the transmissions, I believe...
Now here's the issue...I believe that I could basically buy the older one and simply shine it up and drive it . Good tires, new brakes and good to go. On the other hand, the 01, although nice needs rotors and brakes, 12 disc cd changer needs repair, the illumination lights in the center consol area only permit viewing at night, needs at least new run flats on the front ( I think that was the issue with the tire sensors; wrong tires) and their are about a half a dozen paint dings on the door edges, fenderwells and the rear spoiler. There is also a dime size starburst crack in the far left corner of the windshield. While I haven't tried to negotiate on the 97 yet since we haven't driven this one, I have on the 01. The owner realizes the needs for these but is only willing (at this time anyway) to come off five hundred. I've priced most of the items that I thought needed replacing except for the touch up painting for the dings and the cd changer. With these factors facing me in this decision between the two which in your opinion should I favor in my quest to move up?

Personally, I would pass on the '01. It appears as if the owner didn't care for it cosmetically. No telling what maintenance was or was not performed. On the other hand, the '97 is (in my opinion, based on prices I've seen) is priced a bit on the high side. High seventeens, 18k is in the ballpark. Just my .02.

I paid $20,000 for my 97 in 04, it has been the most trouble free car I own or have owned, there was previous maintenance done by other owners and I feel that all issues were dealt with before I bought it. Don't be put off by the old wives tale about first year cars. If the 97 is a buy it and drive deal it sounds better then the newer car needing work to bring it up to where you want it.
BTW there were only @ 9700 97s produced the lowest production number since 67 and my mileage is just under 105,000

Rufus,

Though I'd normally recommend a buyer go with the newer of the two - I think the '97 is the better Corvette in this instance. It sounds as though it is the better cared for of the two.

JMO
Good luck. Let us know what you decide and post pix when you buy it.
:w Jane Ann

Rufus,

I agree with the others. Normally, I'd recommend buying a newer Corvette because of the technology advances, etc., but in this case, it's obvious the better buy for you is the '97!

Let us know how you make out.

Elaine

To buy or not to Buy

Thanks everyone for your comments...I went by a paint & body shop to see what I would be looking at to fix the dings on the 01...$300.-$400 a panel. Can't just touch these up, the bodyman said. Sooooooooooooo I could easily add another Grand to the repairs needed on the 01. Looks like my decision is becoming plainer all the time. You guys are a biggggggggg help.

Rufus

Personally I'd keep looking on all accounts. Price is too high for the '97 and the '01 needs too much repair. You should have no problem finding a car for the price you are looking to spend just don't make the mistake of buying one of the first ones you look at. I wish you luck on your search and ask any questions that you like here. There's always someone to help.

Good luck!

Leon

To buy or....

Personally I'd keep looking on all accounts. Price is too high for the '97 and the '01 needs too much repair. You should have no problem finding a car for the price you are looking to spend just don't make the mistake of guying one of the first ones you look at. I wish you luck on your search and ask any questions that you like here. There's always someone to help.

Good luck!

Leon

Thanks Leon for your thoughts...I missed a car like yours last weekend. Two tops and only 54 K miles with new tires. Hope that you're enjoying yours. I'm really not in a big rush...my 85 will satisfy me for the time being. I'll keep looking...later...

Rufus

I'd keep looking

I would also pull the trouble codes on any car you are thinking about.

Just keep looking. Something will turn up better than those two.

To buy or not to buy

Well gang, I took all of your wonderful advice and bought the 97 about an hour ago...boy this was one of the toughfest decisions I've had to make in some time. I'll pick up my metalic silver hatchback tomorrow morning. Got a really swell deal on this beautiful car...I'll try and figure out how to post a picture on here and I'll gladly share this acquisition. The wonderful thing about this purchase is that all I need to do is drive it...no repairs outside of replacing the glass top (it was figured into the deal) I'm very excited about moving up to the awesome C5's. Even had a call on my C4...might just sell it tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who took time to assist me in this decision. You're the best...

Great choice!

The difference between the C5 and the C4 is vast but l miss my 96 for some reasons but not enough to regret the move up to a C5.

All the luck in the world

Alan

Rufus,

Congrats on your purchase! Let me know if I can help when you get ready to post pix. Send me a PM or post a thread in the Site Help and Feedback Forum here.

Enjoy the C5!
:w Jane Ann

Congratz!! You will thoroughly enjoy the C5. I'm sure there will be plenty other questions as you get accustomed to the car so ask away!

Get us pictures when you can.

Leon

Well gang, I took all of your wonderful advice and bought the 97 about an hour ago...boy this was one of the toughfest decisions I've had to make in some time. I'll pick up my metalic silver hatchback tomorrow morning. Got a really swell deal on this beautiful car...I'll try and figure out how to post a picture on here and I'll gladly share this acquisition. The wonderful thing about this purchase is that all I need to do is drive it...no repairs outside of replacing the glass top (it was figured into the deal) I'm very excited about moving up to the awesome C5's. Even had a call on my C4...might just sell it tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who took time to assist me in this decision. You're the best...

Great that you are happy with your purchase of the 97, you probably would not have been with the 01. I hope you do not have withdrawl pains about your C4, but surely someone else will enjoy it as much as you. When I lost my 91 to a concrete highway divider, I purchased a 2002 Coupe that I truly LOVE. But I also missed the C4, so I purchased a 94 roadster. I have the best of both now. The C4 is my daily driver during the spring-summer-fall, with the top down most of the time. But driving the C5 - as you say, it's awesome!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom