Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

to cut or not to cut

silver 80

Corvette
1980 silver with blk interior 1987 blue / blue
I'm looking to make my own air duct for the tpi. You C3 guy know how it's bolted up so would I get away with removing a section and still be safe.

Don't cut!!!

You have a MAF- perhaps you should get a rubber coupling to between the TB, MAF, and a filter. You may even need a right angle elbow like the ones used on Trans Ams.

I have speed density, so the filter location was easy.

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

I guess I could try this only in fiberglass;shrug

The reason I went with a MAF system is that I have a ZZ4 and I had heard that the MAF was more forgiving.

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to get a picture to post! Anyway, if you look in my pictures, you'll see my setup. I took an air filter housing from an 85 and mounted it upside down under the rad support. I cut out the neck with a die grinder so it was about 3 1/2" diameter and pop riveted a flex hose from Pep Boys on it. I ran that up to a 60 degree elbow and on to the throttle body. I cut out the lid of the filter housing and fabbed a scoop out of sheet metal and trimmed the front spoiler so it fits right up against the valance. I drilled three little holes in the back of the scoop in case I picked up some water in the scoop. It will drain out before it hits the filter. This way I'm getting cold air from outside the engine compartment + the faster I go---the more air gets forced into the scoop! Works great and didn't cost squat.

I'm looking to make my own air duct for the tpi. You C3 guy know how it's bolted up so would I get away with removing a section and still be safe.

what about using 87-89 firebird tpi air ducts and mount the air filter can off to the side like it is in one of those cars?

pics

Art,
I would very much like to see some pics of your set up.
PM me and I'll send you my email address. Thanks
tom

Topless82,
That's an option. I really wanted to get the air from infront of the radiator though. ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom