Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To rechrome or buy new?

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I would like to hear some feedback ..

I have a 60 and need to decide what to do with the chrome. All the exterior chrome should be going on in the next few weeks.. or so.....

I have checked out the purchase of new chrome from Paragon, Zip, Corvette Central, and Corvette America..

It seems that i could save money by buying new.. some are reproduction parts, while others are imports..

I am not sure if I want to go for NCRS status, but would like a great car as original as possible.

SO.., I guess I am loooking for some advice on how to proceed, to buy new or to rechrome...

;shrug

Thanks..
J:confusede

I would like to hear some feedback ..

I have a 60 and need to decide what to do with the chrome. All the exterior chrome should be going on in the next few weeks.. or so.....

I have checked out the purchase of new chrome from Paragon, Zip, Corvette Central, and Corvette America..

It seems that i could save money by buying new.. some are reproduction parts, while others are imports..

I am not sure if I want to go for NCRS status, but would like a great car as original as possible.

SO.., I guess I am loooking for some advice on how to proceed, to buy new or to rechrome...

;shrug

Thanks..
J:confusede
I initially thought like you did, but the repor stuff and sell my other stuff and perhaps be even or possible ahead.

I bought repro parking lights...YUCK. Ended up sending them back and decided to send my originals to Pauls chrome and rebuild them myself.

I bought side molding kit, most of them were ok, but the long fender moldings (look like hockey sticks) were not bent right, and I had to send them back and get my originals redone.

On the other hand, I bought repro top fender spears and they worked out ok
as well as head light trim rings, but in this case we matched them all up during the build of the body, so they would be fine.

Nothing will ever fit as good as the originals.......

good luck......

Stuff I rechromed
Windshield post
bumpers
licence plate surround
door window post

stuff I polished

windsheild and all door trim and console trim

Stuff I purchased reproduction

rear tail lights
front marker lights
fender top spears
headlamp surrounds
grille surrounds
grill
emblems

All of my repro stuff came from Paragon.

I also had the parts fit to the body while we were rebuilding the car

Stuff I rechromed
Windshield post
bumpers
licence plate surround
door window post

stuff I polished

windsheild and all door trim and console trim

Stuff I purchased reproduction

rear tail lights
front marker lights
fender top spears
headlamp surrounds
grille surrounds
grill
emblems

All of my repro stuff came from Paragon.

I also had the parts fit to the body while we were rebuilding the car

Thanks.. How was the repro stuff that you got from Paragon.. Were you pleased with the grill and surround, and the front marker lights..

I polished all my stainless and was able to make use of the rear taillights, but all else should be rechromed or purchased..

I am having the windshield posts and door posted rechromed by a local shop, who specialized in white metal.. so they should be excellent quality.

:beer
Joe

I initially thought like you did, but the repor stuff and sell my other stuff and perhaps be even or possible ahead.

I bought repro parking lights...YUCK. Ended up sending them back and decided to send my originals to Pauls chrome and rebuild them myself.

I bought side molding kit, most of them were ok, but the long fender moldings (look like hockey sticks) were not bent right, and I had to send them back and get my originals redone.

On the other hand, I bought repro top fender spears and they worked out ok
as well as head light trim rings, but in this case we matched them all up during the build of the body, so they would be fine.

Nothing will ever fit as good as the originals.......

good luck......

Where did you buy your parts?

I restored a 61 and rechromed as much of the original stuff as possible. The pot metal or (white metal) parts are the parts I mostly replaced with repro. I felt like I had to fight with many of the repro parts to get them to fit. I would put the new repro part in and bad fit, put the old original part back in to test and it fit fine. The front directional chromed housings fit pretty well as I remember. Having a local chrome shop, especially one that does pot metal, should make life a lot easier. Good luck.

REPLATE!

I would recommend that you replate your originals. My only experience with repo parts was with the center grillbar on my 62 and it was a piece of junk. I wouldn`t even consider to put in on the Vette. I sent my original stuff out and it came back like new. Also I knew I wouldn`t have a fit issue and it went back together as easy as I took it apart. :upthumbs

Where did you buy your parts?
the majority at Paragon, the hard to find originals from Mary Jo (and you pay through the nose for those)

I know this is an old thread but I recently ordered some tail lights and convertible/hardtop latches for my 62. I was not impressed at all with the quality of the latches. The tail lights look pretty good but did have some surface imperfections. I was told that it's not even close to cost effective to have the original tail light housings replated so I'm sticking with the new ones that I was sent. I haven't tried fitting them on the car yet, so I have no idea of how that will turn out.

Herb,

What was so bad on the parking light housings? Mine look great that I got from paragon which are trim parts pieces. I haven't tried fitting them to the car yet. I don't have originals to rechrome though, all I have is some motorcyle turn signals that were rigged up by the previous owner.

-Scott

Replate the big stuff, bumpers, etc. Maybe the smaller pot metal parts you can by repro. Corvette Specialties of Maryland makes a real nice set of grill teeth, eyebrow mouldings, etc. that they sell for less than it would cost to have these pot metal parts rechromed.

I know this is an old thread but I recently ordered some tail lights and convertible/hardtop latches for my 62. I was not impressed at all with the quality of the latches. The tail lights look pretty good but did have some surface imperfections. I was told that it's not even close to cost effective to have the original tail light housings replated so I'm sticking with the new ones that I was sent. I haven't tried fitting them on the car yet, so I have no idea of how that will turn out.

Herb,

What was so bad on the parking light housings? Mine look great that I got from paragon which are trim parts pieces. I haven't tried fitting them to the car yet. I don't have originals to rechrome though, all I have is some motorcyle turn signals that were rigged up by the previous owner.

-Scott
they didnt fit tightly to the car body, there were gaps....and I did pay through the nose to get them replated but they fit great

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom