Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Today's Sweatin' With the Oldies with VNV

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
So, I helped VNV progress a LITTLE farther with the "Carlisle or Bust" project. Hottern' hell on the floor of his garage. He FINALLY will break down and buy one of those portable AC units from the Big Orange Box.

Today's treats were finishing the side pipe covers and trim and then installing the front bumpers. We COULD have done the back bumpers also but SOMEBODY lost his shim kit :W .

Oh well, we proved the adage that doubling the number of hands working on a project allows you screw up twice as quickly but he's getting closer.

See you next weekend, Mark, and thanks for the goodies :w

Kid_Again said:
So, I helped VNV progress a LITTLE farther with the "Carlisle or Bust" project. Hottern' hell on the floor of his garage. He FINALLY will break down and buy one of those portable AC units from the Big Orange Box.

Today's treats were finishing the side cover pipes and trim and then installing the front bumpers. We COULD have done the back bumpers also but SOMEBODY lost his shim kit :W .

Oh well, we proved the adage that doubling the number of hands working on a project allows you screw up twice as quickly but he's getting closer.

See you next weekend, Mark, and thanks for the goodies :w

Yes.....The Shim kit is still lost.. But I'll be on the Phone with those very lively and Friendly folks at Long Island Corvette Supply :D in the new AM. I also need some bolts and a few other itmes.

Yes..it was hot in my Gee-Rage....and The Kid lost about 15lbs sweaten his A off..The hardest part of the day was puting that stupid clip strip on under the side pipe cover for the top trim piece to clip onto.

I was having a time trying to snap that sucker on...Finally the Kid came up with a brilliant idea.. Flat washers behind the strip to make it stick out further so the molding would catch it and ..my idea..use the KO wheel Lead hammer and a piece of wood to make sure that sucker goes down..!!!.:L

I'm in the home stretch now....got the rear bumpers to do and then a little more wiring. I did manage to test run the Vette today and managed to put on 15 miles. Man..Those Pipes are loud..!!!

Mark glad to hear that you are making more headway. 502 w/ side pipes... Naa that will never be to loud.. Whod thought that...

I am sure you guys are in the same weather as me. this week end had to have been the hotest of the year. My wifes unkel stopped by on saturday and gave me a days work helping me install the Bumpers on my car. I took 2 broiler pans one for him and one for me and I filled the pans with ice and water and I soaked small hand towels in them and wore them around the back of our necks and head.As soon as the towel got warm.I just dropped them in the pans to get cool again. We made it thru the day.If i wasnt in so much of a rush to complete this car I would have went to my shop and picked up a mini split unit to install in the garage.If I had been working alone I would have called it a day as it was just too hot, but I dont often have helpers (beside my wife and kids) and had to forge on.

Mark I can understand you working in the heat to complete the car but it says alot for the freindship between you and kid that he helped you this week end in this brutal heat. Your a luckey guy to have such a freind.

youwish2bme said:
Mark glad to hear that you are making more headway. 502 w/ side pipes... Naa that will never be to loud.. Whod thought that...

Thanks Dude....

They are louder then the stock pipes ...Big Time....:beer

IH2LOSE said:
I am sure you guys are in the same weather as me. this week end had to have been the hotest of the year. My wifes unkel stopped by on saturday and gave me a days work helping me install the Bumpers on my car. I took 2 broiler pans one for him and one for me and I filled the pans with ice and water and I soaked small hand towels in them and wore them around the back of our necks and head.As soon as the towel got warm.I just dropped them in the pans to get cool again. We made it thru the day.If i wasnt in so much of a rush to complete this car I would have went to my shop and picked up a mini split unit to install in the garage.If I had been working alone I would have called it a day as it was just too hot, but I dont often have helpers (beside my wife and kids) and had to forge on.

Mark I can understand you working in the heat to complete the car but it says alot for the freindship between you and kid that he helped you this week end in this brutal heat. Your a luckey guy to have such a freind.

Yeah..Both John Lolli And Kid_Again are the best... Both came out and have helped me... Also Barry K and his Wife also showed and helped a few weeks back.

Yep..the heat was a rela pain. But I have know choice but to keep going if I want to drive the vette to Carlisle. I only have 5 working days left to finish the car.

Now I can't find the freaken shim pack or the (Bumper to frame Center Brackets).. I might have to order new brackets.... F..!!

Heh... How many 1/16" shims shouls I order for the Bumper brackets..?????

Viet Nam Vett said:
Heh... How many 1/16" shims should I order for the Bumper brackets..?????

Mark,

If you're talking about the double-width shims, I'd order three for each position just to be sure -- since you're up against a schedule.

I've begun using my giant fan again in the garage. What an amazing difference.
NewFrontSusp1.jpg

(bottom left)

67HEAVEN said:
Mark,

If you're talking about the double-width shims, I'd order three for each position just to be sure -- since you're up against a schedule.

I've begun using my giant fan again in the garage. What an amazing difference.

(bottom left)

Thanks Bob,

I'm going to order 4 per side just to be sure..... When I get back from Carlise..I'm going to the Big Orange Box and get me one of them there KId_Again Portable A/C Unit's... In Fact I Might have one delivered Wendsday..Instead..!!

Viet Nam Vett said:
Yeah..Both John Lolli And Kid_Again are the best... Both came out and have helped me... Also Barry K and his Wife also showed and helped a few weeks back.

I agree on the first part.......
but as for my Linda and myself I'm sure we were more in the way than helpful.
Was great to see and hear that monster motor though :beer

Viet Nam Vett said:
Thanks Dude....

They are louder then the stock pipes ...Big Time....:beer

LOUD seems to be a common theme in this forum. Keep it up.

Best regards,
Gerry

Viet Nam Vett said:
I did manage to test run the Vette today and managed to put on 15 miles. Man..Those Pipes are loud..!!!

You think its loud now....Just wait until you spend a few hours in it. I finaly changed my black car back to GM pipes after a few road trips. I could not hardly hear for 20-30 minutes after getting out of the car.

Dennis

Mark - There is no way I would work on the vette in the garage without AC. You guys are brave. I have an 8000 btu unit in the side window of the garage. When I get home from work, I put in on the medium setting and by the time I am done eating and getting changed the temp is very reasonable. I have a 30' X 24' garage with lots of insullation. Keep up the 'Carlise or Bust' reports

Steve

midyear said:
You think its loud now....Just wait until you spend a few hours in it. I finaly changed my black car back to GM pipes after a few road trips. I could not hardly hear for 20-30 minutes after getting out of the car.

Dennis

I didn't know you were running Sweet Thunder Pipes...:confused

And..I have the Keisler ..so at Road speed (65-70 Mph) I'm only 2150 RPM's..
Plus...I plan on using the 67-Heaven Approved Method of noise control...
ep.gif

4WDVETTE said:
Mark - There is no way I would work on the vette in the garage without AC. You guys are brave. I have an 8000 btu unit in the side window of the garage. When I get home from work, I put in on the medium setting and by the time I am done eating and getting changed the temp is very reasonable. I have a 30' X 24' garage with lots of insullation. Keep up the 'Carlise or Bust' reports

Steve

The Big Orang Box is getting a call to day.....Can you say..Frosty Go-Nads...:L

We were down at the Surf City house two weeks ago and it was so hot we went to the Big Orange Box in Manahawkin to get a small AC - all sold out. Finally got a 5200 btu unit at Anchor Appliance on Route 9. It was $159. It works so, what the heck. Good luck on the search.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
We were down at the Surf City house two weeks ago and it was so hot we went to the Big Orange Box in Manahawkin to get a small AC - all sold out. Finally got a 5200 btu unit at Anchor Appliance on Route 9. It was $159. It works so, what the heck. Good luck on the search.

Steve

Just got off the phone with the "O" Box.....the guy laughed when I asked for that unit.... They are sold out of everything.... he said ..(In Josey slang) ....

Fo-get-about -it....:L

NOT TO WORRY

My garage AC is on wheels. I'll tow it to your home. As it is, my POS CR-V air conditioning STILL doesn't work well so I need to tow the box behind me anyway. POS. LAST freakin' Honda. '02 was NOT a good year for CR-V's. Could be worse, I hear the '03s suffer from oil fires after you change the oil filter. :cool

At least the VA in the coupe works really well.

Kid_Again said:
NOT TO WORRY

My garage AC is on wheels. I'll tow it to your home. As it is, my POS CR-V air conditioning STILL doesn't work well so I need to tow the box behind me anyway. POS. LAST freakin' Honda. '02 was NOT a good year for CR-V's. Could be worse, I hear the '03s suffer from oil fires after you change the oil filter. :cool

At least the VA in the coupe works really well.

That would be Cool.....:L

Screw it.. It's almost winter anyway.... I'll wait till the first snow fall to buy an A/C unit. Better pricing then.

And what's up with POS Honda...??? Why is the charge going away... Sounds like you need the same stuff I do ..that colored Gas Die so you can see where it's leaking. If you do get some ..pick me up a can so I can find my leak.
With my luck it'll be n
in the Evaporator behind the dash....Rats.....!!!!!

I'm wimping out. Taking it to a place on the Island. They'll charge the system with dye. ---- IT! You would THINK that with the rate of gas escaping, I would hear a damn whistle when I charged it. I think I have defective Schraeder valves, just letting the charge leak back out. But why in the heck did it just happen?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom