Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toe In??

BrianG

Corvette
What does it mean when I turn the wheel all the way to to the right and right front wheel has major toe in?

How is this fixed?

The toe-in shouldn't be checked with the wheels fully turned, the wheels should be pointing straight forward.
Measure the difference between the distance between the front of the left-and right wheel, and the rear of the left- and right wheel, that is toe.

You adjust the toe by loosening the tie-rod sleeves and turning them (to make the tie-rod linkage shorter or longer).

In a turn the Outside wheel has to turn more for the Radius of the Curve!!:upthumbs :lou

The inside wheel while turning has a tighter radius to follow and if anything should look like 'toe out', not 'in'
Your right!!!! I was Thinking back-wards for some reason,Dah!!:D Is it possible that someone has got the Center link upside down??? depending on the bends in it that could make it Back wards to what it should be!!! But I wouldn't think that the Idler Arm would seat in the tapers right!!!:upthumbs

I think Brian isn't familiar with the terminology.

Brian, can you describe in more detail what you're seeing with the steering wheel turned fully to the right that looks unusual?

I think Brian isn't familiar with the terminology.

Brian, can you describe in more detail what you're seeing with the steering wheel turned fully to the right that looks unusual?

The passneger wheel looks like the top is close to the car and bottom of the wheel is further from the car. The more the wheel is turned to the right the more it looks tilted.

Brian,
That is an effect of Camber and Caster.

Camber (positive camber) is when the top of the wheel is closer to the car than the bottom, when driving straight forward.

Caster is the angle of the steering axis, when looking from the side. Think of a chopper motorcycle. When you are driving straight, the front wheel is vertical but when you turn, the wheel is tilted.

Toe (toe in) is when looking from above the car, the front left wheel is steering to the right, and the front right wheel is steering to the left.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Brian,
That is an effect of Camber and Caster.

Camber (positive camber) is when the top of the wheel is closer to the car than the bottom, when driving straight forward.

Caster is the angle of the steering axis, when looking from the side. Think of a chopper motorcycle. When you are driving straight, the front wheel is vertical but when you turn, the wheel is tilted.

Toe (toe in) is when looking from above the car, the front left wheel is steering to the right, and the front right wheel is steering to the left.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Johan,Now your think'n backwards like I was the other day!!

Pos Camber: is Out at top in at bottom!!

Neg Camber: is in at top out at bottom!!:upthumbs

junk!!

:duh

:beer

Can negative camber be caused by bad wheel bearings or ball joints?

Can negative camber be caused by bad wheel bearings or ball joints?
Certainly, Loose w/b's, bad ball joints,bad control arm bushings,bent control arm, bent spindle,bent frame or just bad alignment!!:upthumbs

junk!!

Brian,
Does the steering feel odd when you drive the car?
If the front end is so out of alignment that it looks strange with the eye, then I think you would notice this when you drive the car.

...Does the steering feel odd when you drive the car?
If the front end is so out of alignment that it looks strange with the eye, then I think you would notice this when you drive the car.

I agree. If you're too far out, you'd feel it. Take the car to any competent alignment shop and let them have a look at it. They'll be able to answer all your questions in no time and do the alignment if it's needed.
:)

I agree. If you're too far out, you'd feel it. Take the car to any competent alignment shop and let them have a look at it. They'll be able to answer all your questions in no time and do the alignment if it's needed.
:)

Will do

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom