Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

too cold to start ?

Corvette
76 Coupe
My daughter has a 96 Pontiac Sunfire with 2.2l engine. Recently as the weather got cold it will not start if temp is below about 15 degrees. This problem has just surfaced in the last month or so. Today a mechanic looked at it. He got underneath and tapped o the gas tank then got in the thing and it started. He said fuel pump is bad. could this be correct or is he just fishin. He wants over $500 to change the fuel pump. It just don't sound like that is the problem. The car would start when the outsided temperature warmed up. Need help guys

Yes the fuel pump is probly bad!!! But $500.00 sounds like a Wad to pay for a $50.00 pump!!! It can be changed out easily in a couple hr's or less!!! Heck I can change a C4 pump in about a hr!!!:upthumbs :lou :cool PS Put some HEET (Fuel system De-Icier)in it,it may just have water in it freezing the pump up!!

she put Heet in it about a month ago. How often should it get this stuff? I take it the pump is in the tank. I resemble Bubba in some things, do you think I could change that pump? I have above average ability and good set of tools.

My 87 LeSabre does the same thing. 12 degrees seems to be the magic number in my case. Hot water bottles on the fuel rails and and an electric heater under the engine does the trick for me. One half bottle of Heet per tankful keeps her running after the first freezup. Seems like it all started after they started putting 10% Ethanol in the gas and removing MTBE around here 3 years ago.
Get the red bottle. That is Isopropyl Alcohol based HEET.

she put Heet in it about a month ago. How often should it get this stuff? I take it the pump is in the tank. I resemble Bubba in some things, do you think I could change that pump? I have above average ability and good set of tools.
Depends on what kind of gas she runs!!! Cheep Cut Rate fuels,I'd run a can every Full Tank!! And I would try to keep the Tank full as much as possible in the winter months!! And Yes, I think you can change the pump!! It's no Biggy,But don't do it with a full tank!! Get a Book on it at Auto Zone or Advance about $15-$20,I don't have one for a Sunfire or I'd Post the Instructions!!:upthumbs

My 87 LeSabre does the same thing. 12 degrees seems to be the magic number in my case. Hot water bottles on the fuel rails and and an electric heater under the engine does the trick for me. One half bottle of Heet per tankful keeps her running after the first freezup. Seems like it all started after they started putting 10% Ethanol in the gas and removing MTBE around here 3 years ago.
Get the red bottle. That is Isopropyl Alcohol based HEET.
I agree with Pete 100% on the red bottle!!!

Thanks for the reminder too. It's 17 degrees out right now, so I added a bottle so I can get going in the morning.:)

thanks you guys. We will try to fix it ourselves tomorrow. And we will definately put inthe red bottles. Any other ideas, let me know.

Well things didn't go so good. I gave up on the fuel pump thing when I went to Advance auto and they wanted $300 just for the pump( i don't have a job and can not afford that). Tried to change the fuel filter, but when I tried to squeeze the plastic retainer thing to release the line from the filter, everything crumbled. The little clippy things (garbage) that hold the line on the filter are stuck inside the metal end on the fuel line (and broke offf flush) and Now there is no way to get the filter loose from the fuel line. Looked at a repair line thing so could just cut the old line and filter off, but tried to bend the new vinly tubing to where it was going to hook back up and it kinked off. That surely wasn't going to work right so took it back to the parts store. What a cheese ball way for GM to install a gas filter. Why the hell couldn't they just put fittings on each end of the filter that you take apart with wrenches? I am glad it wasn't my car or it would have been beat to death and then burned for that 3 hours I wasted out in the cold. I did get the spark plugs changed (the old ones had a gap burned to over .100 )and Heet and fuel injection cleaner put in the gas tank. I would much rather work on my vette. There has never been anything on it that I started and could not finish. I am totally frustrated and frozen and I give up. Told my daughter to keep her insurance up so we can burn the POS if it ever quits again.

We are spoiled on the Vettes. They were designed to be worked on.
Clamp up the old hoses on the filter and keep your fingers crossed.
I had to fix my door latch today in 15 degree weather and I know how you feel about now.

Well things didn't go so good. I gave up on the fuel pump thing when I went to Advance auto and they wanted $300 just for the pump( i don't have a job and can not afford that). Tried to change the fuel filter, but when I tried to squeeze the plastic retainer thing to release the line from the filter, everything crumbled. The little clippy things (garbage) that hold the line on the filter are stuck inside the metal end on the fuel line (and broke offf flush) and Now there is no way to get the filter loose from the fuel line. Looked at a repair line thing so could just cut the old line and filter off, but tried to bend the new vinly tubing to where it was going to hook back up and it kinked off. That surely wasn't going to work right so took it back to the parts store. What a cheese ball way for GM to install a gas filter. Why the hell couldn't they just put fittings on each end of the filter that you take apart with wrenches? I am glad it wasn't my car or it would have been beat to death and then burned for that 3 hours I wasted out in the cold. I did get the spark plugs changed (the old ones had a gap burned to over .100 )and Heet and fuel injection cleaner put in the gas tank. I would much rather work on my vette. There has never been anything on it that I started and could not finish. I am totally frustrated and frozen and I give up. Told my daughter to keep her insurance up so we can burn the POS if it ever quits again.
What Clippy Things??If there the kind I thinking they should be and Crumbled,there may not be anything holding the line on the filter except stuck O-rings!!! I think NAPA & Parts Pulse both carries the Clippy things here in the hill's!!
And I think there trying to sell you a complete Sending unit & pump assy, You just want the Pump!!! Auto Zone and Advance carries them here,I just got one last week $54. and some change with a new sock!!:upthumbs

The clippy things would be what is left of that plastic latch crap that locks the tube on the end of the filter to the fuel line. The filter is definately locked onto the line and I cannot pull it off. Advance here only offered the entire pump assembly. It resembled an octopus. sure wish there was someone here in town that had some experience in this and would help me out. Obviously that won't happen, so I will leave things as they are and get the hot dogs ready for the fire.

The clippys are $8.00/10 clips. Get some, and save the marshmallows for summertime. NAPA has complete pumps for $308.00. But try the HEET for a while and see if it work for you.
ADVANCE HAS AFTERMARKET PUMPS FOR $77.00 BUT SHIPPING TIME IS 5 DAYS.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom