Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Too much Crankcase Oil???

Florida Guy

Corvette
'96 Torch Red LT4
About 7 years ago I gave up doing my own oil changes and began taking my '96 LT4 to a Chevrolet dealer for service. I have always babied it and figured they would service my car right. Who knows Corvettes better? Last year I discovered that they had put 6 quarts of Mobil 1 in the car when I had it serviced. I called them about it. The service manager said I should have the excess drained in a nearby garage and send them the bill. (I live about 35 miles from the dealership.) I drained 1 1/2 quarts out in my garage once it had cooled. I had it service yesterday and told them to be sure to put the correct amount of oil in the car. They put in 5 1/2 quarts, one quart too much. I didn't check it until I got home. I dug out all of my receipts where they serviced my car over the past 6 years only to find that they have been putting in 6 quarts of oil every time. That's 1 1/2 quarts too much!! My question for you experienced mechanics is: Do you think I have ruined my engine? I know that foamy oil does not lubricate and a crankshaft will definitely whip up the crankcase oil if the level is high enough. I've taken excellent care of this car for the past 15 years and I hate to think I have ruined it by taking it to a Corvette dealer for service.

1.5 qt overfull will not damage the engine in a car which sees normal driving duty cycles.

Quart and a half is alot, but I don't think it did any damage to the engine. You may have noticed a slight reduction in normal
performance due to the crank being submerged in oil, but if you didn't notice blue smoke out the exhaust I think you should be fine.

This is a classic example of why I try to do all the work my Corvettes need on my own.

I brought my wifes brand new Volvo in to the dealer I purchased the car from for it's first oil change a few years ago. Drove the thing
home about 5 miles, and noticed a large pool of oil under the car, in the driveway. Turns out the mechanic put the oil filter on with a broken
gasket, and the car was 3 quarts low when I checked it after seeing the pool of oil on the driveway. The dealer towed the car back and fixed
it but whatever happened to starting the car and checking your work to see if the thing is leaking. I could have easily lost the engine in
a few more miles. This same dealer charged me $25 to reset the oil change light.

I don't visit this dealer anymore.:mad

About 7 years ago I gave up doing my own oil changes and began taking my '96 LT4 to a Chevrolet dealer for service. I have always babied it and figured they would service my car right. Who knows Corvettes better? Last year I discovered that they had put 6 quarts of Mobil 1 in the car when I had it serviced. I called them about it. The service manager said I should have the excess drained in a nearby garage and send them the bill. (I live about 35 miles from the dealership.) I drained 1 1/2 quarts out in my garage once it had cooled. I had it service yesterday and told them to be sure to put the correct amount of oil in the car. They put in 5 1/2 quarts, one quart too much. I didn't check it until I got home. I dug out all of my receipts where they serviced my car over the past 6 years only to find that they have been putting in 6 quarts of oil every time. That's 1 1/2 quarts too much!! My question for you experienced mechanics is: Do you think I have ruined my engine? I know that foamy oil does not lubricate and a crankshaft will definitely whip up the crankcase oil if the level is high enough. I've taken excellent care of this car for the past 15 years and I hate to think I have ruined it by taking it to a Corvette dealer for service.

If your oil pressure readings are normal for your vehicle and there are no external oil leaks, you will be fine. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom