Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Top Tier Gasolines w/techron additive

R

Rufus1050

There was a thread on the forum i believe that listed the top tier gasolines and those that contained the vette preferred if not required additive for optimum operation of the engine. I have not been able to track this down and was wondering if someone could advise...does conoco gas have techron???? Thanks for the help...
Rufus:)

There was a thread on the forum i believe that listed the top tier gasolines and those that contained the vette preferred if not required additive for optimum operation of the engine. I have not been able to track this down and was wondering if someone could advise...does conoco gas have techron???? Thanks for the help...
Rufus:)
Chevron and Texaco!! You can buy Techron at about any auto parts store!!I keep a few bottles in my car when I'm on trips,some states have methanol in all there gas,and my gas gage quits almost immediately!!:thumb

Are ther still Texacos near you? They switched all of ours over to Shell in NorthEast (PA) when they merged. I wonder if its the same fuel!

[[some states have methanol in all there gas,and my gas guage quits almost immediately]]

Hmmm I wonder why methanol would foul the gas guage?
I can't find any ethanol-free gas here at all. the last holdout was Gulf but they've surrendered too.

Tell me about the bad effect and how technol would help.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's a link to the site http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html which includes an updated list of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Retailers.

Personally, I prefer Chevron with Techron, Texaco with Techron (which in Mississippi is the same as Chevron) or Shell as a last resort. If I couldn't get one of my first choices, I'd follow Junkie's advice and use another Top Tier gasoline, then add a bottle of Techron to the tank.

:wJane Ann

"Top tier detergent" gasoline is mostly car company and oil industry spin. Since 1995 some refiners have reduced detergents in gasoline by as much as 50%. The "top tier" gasoline being marketed of late simply moved the detergent level back to where it was before. While some pump gasolines contain detergents in high enough strength to prevent high levels of contaminants from developing on injector nozzles, in carburetors and on intake valves, the level of detergents can be inconsistent from one gasoline brand to the next and from one area of the country to the next.

If you don't want to be worrying about whether or not the gas you buy has enough detergents to be "top tier", to keep injectors and carburetors as clean as possible, regular use of a detergent-based injector cleaner may be necessary. I have used Red Line SI-1 for more than 15 years in a number of different port injected engines, some in Corvettes and some in other vehicles. Visual inspection and flow testing of injectors from fuel systems regularly treated with SI-1 has proved the injectors stay clean as new and actually can flow slightly better than when new. The "maintenance dose" of Red Line SI-1 is 4-oz. per 10 gallons of gas at every third or fourth fill-up. Chevron Techron is also a very good detergent-based injector cleaner and can be used in the same manner.

Detergent-based injector cleaners sometimes are effective in solving modest cases of injector and intake valve fouling. In that case use the "shock treatment" which is a 16-oz bottle of a detergent-based cleaner per tankful of fuel for three fill-ups. If that doesn't fix the problem, the injector fouling cannot be removed with a pour-in additive and other methods, typically, off-car, ultrasonic cleaning, will be required.

Verrry interesting. Thanks.
I always add Lucas injector cleaner about every 3rd tankful, or if I hear any tapping. It does stop the tapping.
Do you think this actually benefits the engine?

I forgot to mention that the Lucas injector cleaner is also a detergent-based product.

As for "any tapping", I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by that. Can you describe this noise a little more in detail?

I forgot to mention that the Lucas injector cleaner is also a detergent-based product.

As for "any tapping", I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by that. Can you describe this noise a little more in detail?

The "tapping" is a metal on metal sound. Not too loud or alarming. I've suspected is was valve-related, but it could be injectors also. It's engine-rpm based, most noticeable after a drive, not during, when car is in garage and all sounds are more apparent. Sound goes away on application of Lucas, I also have used Marvel also, and sometimes Seafoam. The Lucas is the most effective at quieting the noise. Car runs fine, no odd smells, decent mileage 16 - 18 mpg, little roughness on ethanol, but Exxon/Shell are best even with ethanol (10%). Other readings are normal press, volts, temp, coolant. I've been using Hess because they don't use Arab oil. I think Hess may overstate their octane rating on Premium, but my Jeep does great on Hess regular. I may try Exxon/Shell again just to see of the roughness goes away, it takes a tankful to see the difference.

The "tapping" is a metal on metal sound. Not too loud or alarming. I've suspected is was valve-related, but it could be injectors also. It's engine-rpm based, most noticeable after a drive, not during, when car is in garage and all sounds are more apparent.

I had a similar sound in my 89. Same symptoms. Turned out to be piston slap.
I'd get that checked.

Scott

Wow! QuikTrip, where I buy my gas is on that list! Although it seems like everyone else in MO buys their gas there too though....plus, they're the cheapest!

Wow! QuikTrip, where I buy my gas is on that list! Although it seems like everyone else in MO buys their gas there too though....plus, they're the cheapest!
Yeah,and Phillips 66 is on there too!! But the Phillips66 in Macon Mo at the junction of US 63 and US 36 every time I've bought there my gas gauge quits before I get to La Plata on North US 63!!:hb:hb
;shrug :L:L:L

At least you guys can get gas ! In Atlanta I would be happy with some second tier gas ... even third. :upthumbs

My vette has been parked for 2 weeks with no sign of relief in sight.

:W

At least you guys can get gas ! In Atlanta I would be happy with some second tier gas ... even third. :upthumbs

My vette has been parked for 2 weeks with no sign of relief in sight.

:W
There hasn't been any gas here in 2 weeks!!We was able to buy $20.00 worth 2 weeks ago,but thats Long Gone!! I'm glad I filled both 70 gallon tanks on my car hauler just before Ike,or we would have been "SOL"!!:thumb

I guess we're lucky here in upstate PA. The crisis hasn't hit us yet. Things go more slowly up here in the Mountains. Less air. he he
One of townfolk has converted his old clunker to burn coal. Lotsa that here, you can hike out and pick it yourself. It's only $100 / ton delivered.
I don't mean his car is a steamer, it cooks the coal into releasing methane and feeds into the engine directly. I haven't looked at it yet. It would be different to drag a coal tender behind a Corvette. Maybe I could find a bikini babe to be the fireman.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom