Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Touch-Up Paint Question

A

AntneeD

Hi, I want to get some Touch up paint for some paint chips/stone chips on the front of my C-5. I was going to order a bottle of touch up paint from Ecklers or my local Chevy dealer, but then I read that there are other touch up paint kits that have a clear coat type solution you put on top of the paint.

Just wondering what other people have used and their experiences with touch up paint kits etc.
Has anyone ever used any type of these kits?
Just wondering what to purchase?

Thanks as always,
Ant

slighty helpful?

AntneeD,

I've never done clear coat.. but on "regular" paint the trick is to dap it on. If you brush it on you get brush marks. If you dap it on you get a little bubble of paint. ( which is better )

I read instructions on the 'net once on how to properly apply and sand touch up. I just don't have the skills or guts to take sandpaper to my car!

Often a body shop or the dealer will do it for $50 or so... might be worth it.

The other problem is washing and waxing the car takes off touch up paint! So you have to try to work around it.

-Gooney0

Also use masking tape if the chip is not too big and tape off around the chip or ding and touch-up and when the paint
is dry ,,, take the tape off. be sure not to leave it on too long or have your car in the sun when you do this.

I might also suggest you follow up the touch up paint with a product called Langka. It dissolves the the paint that is above the original paint surface. Will not harm paint at all.

I had no luck with Lanka. Its like expensive watered down lacquer thinner.

If you use masking tape learn how to "back tape" and it will blend in better. this is just basically applying the tape to the masking paper and then folding it back - half sticky side of tape on car and half sticky side folded back and facing up. don't ask me why this works it just does. It doesn't leave a big line where you pull the tape off the car so it is not so much work trying to blend the touch upped area in. Leave the center of the tape in a gentle roll like postion when you stick it on the car. Hope this helps. :cool

fins4284 said:
i'm about to find out -- my order just arrived. waiting on hurricane lili to blow by.

Please let us know how it works out.

Fast Red Vette said:
Please let us know how it works out.

here's my report. had a 1" gash on my hatch. touched up 1 week ago. when i applied Langka saturday morning and got through wiping off the remaining residue, i literally lost where i touched up. i'm liking this stuff.

immediately went to work on small chips on the hood. applied touchup, let dry for 3 hours and applied langka. i did notice that the paint didn't hold on the "shallower" chips. maybe i'll try letting the paint dry a few days on these types. worked excellent on the "deeper" chips.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom