Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toyed with a C6 the other day

Fullback32

Corvette
2004 Magnetic Red Metallic II Convertible
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted, but thought I'd relay this story.

This past Friday I had the day off and one of our local Chevy dealers had a 2006 C6 convertible for sale. It was a LT3 with all the goodies, essentially the same exterior color as my C5 (maybe a shade darker than Magnetic Red), interior and rag top was the same color and it had 15,333 miles on it. The price was $38,000 and some change. I thought, what the hell, and went down to look at it.

I did the test drive and liked the keyless start, powered roof and the stereo. The extra horses were nice as well. I didn't really get the feel of the paddle shifters, but figured that would come in time if I bought it. So we go back to the dealer and I parked it right next to my C5 'vert.

The guy asks me what I wanted for mine and what I wanted to pay for the C6. I gave him my numbers, and he said, "That's reasonable." So he goes back to do his thing with the sale manager. In the meantime, I back outside and am looking at the two cars next to each other. I go back and forth, back and forth and realized, I still loved my C5, couldn't part with it (especially since it's totally paid for :thumb), and still don't really care for the styling of the C6 compared to the C5.

I go back inside and he show me the numbers. The number for the trade in was pretty much spot on, but the residual was $2000 more than I stated ($15000 residual instead of $12,000) and I told the guy "no." I said that the C6 just wasn't doing a whole lot for me and besides, that's $2,000 more residual than I wanted. He, of course, said that he would go back to the sales manager and see what they could do. I said, "Don't bother. I want to keep my C5."

So the sales manager come over and says, "I CAN GET YOU TO $12,000!" I said, "so why didn't you do that in the first place instead of playing this stupid game? No sale. I'm keeping my C5."

I don't know. When I sold my 1989 C4 for my 2004 C5, that C5 just screamed "BUY ME!" and I had to do it. I didn't even think twice about it. But, that C6 just didn't grab me for some reason. Have any of you guys toyed with the idea of getting a C6, drove one, and said, "meh"? Am I weird for loving my C5 this much? :L

I wouldnt trade or sell my c5 coupe for a base c6 at all. A c6z or GS? perhaps.

The "Paid For" feature of my C5 definately keeps me from buying a C6.

Doesn't seem to stop me but buying newer cars keeps me working instead of retiring.

Technically and mechanically the C6 is superior in a number of ways to the C5, but not hugely so. There are a number of vehicles that talk to my soul including some used Ferraris and Aston Martins that we could afford, but the long term overall costs of those cars compared to my C5 makes it a no brainier to stick with the C5 platform. I went through my Porsche phase in the mid 80's and still long for the 78 930 Turbo I later sold, but that too fades when I remember the maintenance costs of that little beast.

The only C6 that talks to me is the new 427 Vert which is essentially a ZO6 Vert. However, it doesn't talk to me enough to sell my C5 Vert. Also, for about 12 to maybe 15 grand, I can put a supercharger package on my car along with a few suspension components and coilovers, and have a Vert that performs about the same and looks much better to my eye at a net savings of maybe $65 to 70 grand.

For me, the exterior lines and interior styling of the C6 platform are cold and emotionless. They just don't have the styling and flow of a classic high end sports car. The C5 is a little bulbous in the front end from an ideal styling standpoint, but for me the overall styling still stands head and shoulders above the C6.

C7? We'll see...

Thoughts in the back of our minds. . .

First off I'd NEVER sell my 2003 50th. Anniversary coupe. Nothing, save for a 2013 60th. Anniversary convertible has any draw for me. Now as to buying a 2013, I'd like to, but the garages are all rented out except for my one for the 50th. and I'm not paying that kind of money ever again. Maybe after they've been out for awhile, but the 50th has my heart. There's no going backwards. :rotfl

Glad to know I'm not the only one! The C6 just doesn't hit me, even less so than the C4 and I owned a C4. The lines and styling of the C5 have the same effect on me that the C3 does....I simply love them. Thanks for making realize I'm not nuts. :D

My 02 C5 is the best Corvette I have ever owned and I have had seven others. My C2's and C3's back in the day were great for that time of my life and the C4's were ok....but I can find no faults with the C5 I own.....Ok the drivers seat needs rebuilt after 87K miles. I appreciate the input I got from Toms01 when I was wavering whether to buy it or keep my pristeen 90......he said...You will never regret it......and I sure haven't. Thanks for the heads up Tom.....:thumb

I am waiting to see what the next gen will bring. I do plan on having a newer faster Vette some day but plan on keeping the C5. C6.......only a ZR1 or a Z06.......out of my price range. Don't they call the C6 the C5.5..........?

Don't they call the C6 the C5.5..........?

True, the chassis is very similar between the C5 and C6 but the C6 chassis is slightly longer and with a slightly narrower tread but with more suspension travel. If you look to the chassis as the reason to change "generations" labels and use body changes for subsets, you would get something like this:

53-55 would be C1.00
56-57 would be C1.25
58-60 would be C1.50
61-62 would be C1.75
63-67 would be C2
68-73 would be C2.50
74-82 would be C2.75
84-90 would be C3.0
91-96 would be C3.5
97-04 would be C4 and
05-13 would be C4.5

If you looked at body changes as the reason for "generation" changes, you get this:

53-55 would be C1
56-57 would be C2
58-62 would be C3
63-67 would be C4
68-82 would be C5
84-96 would be C6
97-04 would be C7
05-13 would be C8

If you let the media control how this works then have GM jump on the "generation" label, you get what we have today.

I've also toyed with the idea but could not do it either. To me the C5 just has a special look like no other car and is my favorite of all the generations. I just can't part with it. Never say never though.

picture.php

IMG_2080.jpg

I told the wife the other night (of the big lottery drawing for $560 million), that if I win the drawing (which I didn't), that I would buy a new Corvette (Z06, ZR1 is overkill :L ). That's the only way I see me buying a C6, but like Mike said "Never say Never!"

I wasn't sure that I wanted to trade my 94 for the 01, but it was such a different car after driving the C5 that it really was not an issue.

I have always been just a bit off and sometimes just wrong, so take this as just another opinion :D

I have owned every generation with the exception of the C6 and I still have one that I feel is the BEST of the bunch.... My 1981 4-Speed :dance Oh the C5 is a nice highway cruiser. I think it rides and drivers nicer than the 02 Lincoln LS we had, but another story.. As far as enjoyable and FUN to drive I will take my 1981 any time over all the others..

Just something about an OLD Fashioned 4-Speed and there is nothing like a set of FlowMaster 40's and going through the gears... The 81 is nice ride and everything works (Air Conditioning ;) ) great ... it actually is a very sweet ride.. plus it is easier to get in and out of..

Just my $.02... No offense ABBY, but I would miss the 1981 more than the 03 should a tornado hit or someone steal one of them :cry...

Bud

I prefer to buy new cars but the C5 speaks to me. I like the look, less electronics. If anything happened to my car I would find another C5, I like my Lemans blue but Millenium Yellow grabs me also. If I had to get a new car the GS would be my choice.
Also the color choices on the new cars suck. I liked 4 of the colors in 2004. For 2012 I could only tolerate one and I don't really like it.
The first weeks that I owned it I spent time with the manual and turned off all automatic features.
Headlights, security, installed cags eliminator. Love the C5 and plan on keeping it forever or as long as possible.;)

I have always been just a bit off and sometimes just wrong, so take this as just another opinion :D

I have owned every generation with the exception of the C6 and I still have one that I feel is the BEST of the bunch.... My 1981 4-Speed :dance Oh the C5 is a nice highway cruiser. I think it rides and drivers nicer than the 02 Lincoln LS we had, but another story.. As far as enjoyable and FUN to drive I will take my 1981 any time over all the others..

Just something about an OLD Fashioned 4-Speed and there is nothing like a set of FlowMaster 40's and going through the gears... The 81 is nice ride and everything works (Air Conditioning ;) ) great ... it actually is a very sweet ride.. plus it is easier to get in and out of..

Just my $.02... No offense ABBY, but I would miss the 1981 more than the 03 should a tornado hit or someone steal one of them :cry...

Bud

I am really trying to figure out how to justify getting a C3 to go with my C5. I do love them! :D

I have owned a C3, a C4, a C5, and now a C6. Each generation was an emprovement over the one before. I know everyone has their favorite generation, but for me I like the C6 and I'm glad I bought it. :thumb

I'm pretty-well hooked on the C5 as well; although better technically than the C5, the C6 styling has never really grabbed me. To some extent, it's the same story for me with the C4 styling.

Of the C1's, I like the '56-'57 best. With the C3's, I like the early styling (pre-1973) better than the later styling; it just seemed over-done to me by the time 1982 rolled around. Plus the performance was there with the early big-block C3's... :lou

But my all-time favorite of the classic Corvettes is the C2; I've always wanted a '63 split-window coupe! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom