Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toyota flexes its muscles to defend reputation

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
The detail was excruciating at times, but the message of Toyota Motor Corp.'s bought-and-paid-for dismemberment Monday of an Illinois engineering professor's testimony before Congress was clear:

The Japanese automaker won't let allegedly rigged tests devised by an expert -- cited by a national TV network and used by trial lawyers -- go unanswered, lest their actions beggar Toyota's money machine in the United States by destroying its enviable reputation for bullet-proof quality and reliability.

To be sure, Toyota has a massive problem: More than 8 million cars and trucks recalled worldwide to answer concerns over "sudden unintended acceleration;" floor mats that become entangled with accelerator pedals; brakes in hybrid cars that may not brake as expected; and concerns that the automaker's electronic throttle control system may not operate properly.

Toyota also has a massive war chest chocked with more than $30 billion in cash; a triple-A credit rating that reflects its operational prowess and the esteem it enjoys among investors; carefully cultivated political friends in the right places; and a willingness to hire the best heavyweight law firms, political consultants and crack crisis communications teams that money can buy.

The Detroit News

O'h what a feeling

As was the NBC nightly of a Cali cop out of control over 35 minutes.

Are yOu out of a job yet?

I and I am sure many others have NO sympthay for a company that has blatent age discrimination hiring practices. O'h its in print al right, you just have to be able to read Spanish. And down in tough truck Texas, simple math prevails:

20 years experience
4 year college
18 year old
= do not hire this 40 something, see how simple it is to avert the dicsrimination law!?!

As was the NBC nightly of a Cali cop out of control over 35 minutes.

Are yOu out of a job yet?

I and I am sure many others have NO sympthay for a company that has blatent age discrimination hiring practices. O'h its in print al right, you just have to be able to read Spanish. And down in tough truck Texas, simple math prevails:

20 years experience
4 year college
18 year old
= do not hire this 40 something, see how simple it is to avert the dicsrimination law!?!

I 'm not sure what you are talking about.

In commenting on the Toyota article, additionally NBC had two nights ago a nice video clip of an off duty Cali cop driving his out of control Toyota and what they did to stop it.

Further elaboration on how in-your-face "anti the US population" can be seen by their hiring practices. If you any where close to industrialzed US economy and not be in denial, you'd understand. If you think, and everyone is entitles to their oprinion, that is is perfectly OK, then you by default accept the inhumane working conditions imposed upon the people.

In commenting on the Toyota article, additionally NBC had two nights ago a nice video clip of an off duty Cali cop driving his out of control Toyota and what they did to stop it.

Further elaboration on how in-your-face "anti the US population" can be seen by their hiring practices. If you any where close to industrialzed US economy and not be in denial, you'd understand. If you think, and everyone is entitles to their oprinion, that is is perfectly OK, then you by default accept the inhumane working conditions imposed upon the people.

I still don't understand your issues, and I know I'm entitled to my opinions, I just don't understand yours - except you don't like Toyota. I don't have a problem with not liking anything, and I'm just trying to understand what "anti the US population means" to you. Being from Motown, I understand Toyota not being your favorite car company, but your post didn't make sense to me. Where are the inhumane conditions you speak of? I've been to Big Three plants and three Asian owned US plant, and didn't see anything inhumane about any of them. I'm not trying to start a war - just trying to get where you are coming from. BTW - I have 3 Chevys, and no Toyotas.

I have seen employment ads in print from Toyota that stated if you were over 35 do not apply. Only issue is they were in Spanish, I had the paper in my hand and it was a valid job offer. The photos or pps are 1mb that were forwarded to me of the working conditions in these factories. In Texas it was much simpler as I described in the simple math example. China - They basically work 18 hours a day and sleep under their machines. too large for posting here. Does not have anything to do with the perception of being from big 3 country because it is not any more nor is that completely a valid assumption.

CHINA- i may be wrong but i believe toyotas are made mostly in Japan.:D

Save The Wave :w

I have seen employment ads in print from Toyota that stated if you were over 35 do not apply. Only issue is they were in Spanish, I had the paper in my hand and it was a valid job offer. The photos or pps are 1mb that were forwarded to me of the working conditions in these factories. In Texas it was much simpler as I described in the simple math example. China - They basically work 18 hours a day and sleep under their machines. too large for posting here. Does not have anything to do with the perception of being from big 3 country because it is not any more nor is that completely a valid assumption.

OK, look before I say anything else, I really am having a hard time trying to understand you. You live or reside in Grosse Pointe, Michigan and I assume you work or worked for one of the domestic Auto manufacters. But first off, Federal law currently prohibits age discriminating by any company doing business on U.S. property or within the United States, and that law would also be extended to any newspaper written in english and or spanish.

And as far as people sleeping under the machines, or having to work 18 hours at once, Well I don't how you come about it, But Look, It's 2010, not 1910. Toyota for what's it's worth has just recently been introduced to "Automobile Manufacturing 101 in the U.S./ 2010" And they are going to do a lot of damage control by the looks of it. Each week brings new issues of Toyota based problems. They just have to deal with it like GM, Ford or Chrysler did. And I'm not chastising you, but you need to put a bridle on your emotions before you type your post. Because nobody can understand what your trying to say.

Big parts, all the small stuff is done in China and other Asian countries.

All the suspension parts are made by Brewer automotive in Brewer ,Maine .I'm not defending Toyota and I'd never buy one unless Ford bought 'em out .Japan and China are not the best of buddies but the next time I go by a Toyota dealership I'll read the window sticker for country of origin percentages.:thumb

I'm not trying to be critical but I'm also having' a little problem sightin' in on you space ship.:D

I'm not trying to be critical but I'm also having' a little problem sightin' in on you space ship.:D

I like that line! Mind if I add it to my vocabulary? :)

hiring and avoiding

Nothing shocks me and even in government I've seen them get around hiring veterans despite all of the laws and fanfare of "supporting our boys".

There was a Youtube clip a few years ago on a major employment company that gave seminars on how NOT TO HIRE AMERICANS TO AVOID THE QUOTA AND CAP LAWS. Wanna bring in illegals to fill jobs since they will work for a few bucks less an hour .. like in the computer repair industry .... they had all of these "tips" on how to advertise the job to meet the requirements of the law .. like advertise in arcane and obscure places and newspapers ... and then you can bring in someone from Pakistan since an American "wouldn't take the job". They went over lots of ways for the "Human Resources" managers to get over on the laws.

A bit off track .... but I'm not shocked .... ask what is in it for Toyota ... and who or who were they not hiring and for what kind of positions?

It's all a game with some employment agency/companies. A friend and I suspect that the TSA was only hiring temp/half time positions because it sounded like they got a bounty per head and it didn't matter if it was full or part time. Why hire 100 full timers when you can double the take by hiring 200 part timers.

I wish I knew what the guy was talking about but .... if what he is saying is true ..... and some of those vehicles are under or result from government contracts or training grants ... it's possible all kinds of laws are being broken.

Is Toyota a "Union Shop" ... this could just be the union boys doing a bit of mud slinging?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom