Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toyota to race Cup, Busch beginning in '07

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
camry.384.jpg

A model of the 2007 Toyota Camry.
Credit: Toyota Motorsports Media

Official Release
January 23, 2006
02:41 PM EST (19:41 GMT)

NASCAR and Toyota announced Monday the manufacturer's plans to expand its racing program by competing in the Nextel Cup and Busch series starting in 2007, fielding the Camry model.

The expansion will follow three years of Toyota competing in the Craftsman Truck Series, and will result in all three of NASCAR's national series having four manufacturers competing, as Toyota will join Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford.

"NASCAR welcomes Toyota to the greatest auto racing in the world," said NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France, who made the announcement at NASCAR's Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C.

"Toyota's entry into the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series and the NASCAR Busch Series is good for drivers, teams and the fans. This move provides for even more intense competition on the track between drivers and manufacturers, which will provide more excitement and fan interest. Toyota's entry also provides more options for drivers and teams, which will increase the competition between manufacturers."

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/01/23/toyota.cup/index.html

Yeah! Thats really good! I will be watching NASCAR now!

Totally sad situation. I will refuse to watch any NASCAR event now. I had already stopped watching NASCAR truck.

NASCAR is(was) an American event, why soil it with foreign crap???

Who is gonna be the first to jump in one of those?? G*d knows they got enuff money to throw at this.....there will be all kind of factory backing on this one.
You thought Ryan Newman got good gas mileage!

camry.384.jpg

I'd like to see a street-version of a Camry that is even-CLOSE to what this shape is:
the sport has been 'circling-the-drain' since late the afternoon of 18 February 2001.....
:mad

Glug, glug, glug.....:w

Glensgages [B said:
I'd like to see a street-version of a Camry that is even-CLOSE to what this shape is:[/B]
the sport has been 'circling-the-drain' since late the afternoon of 18 February 2001.....
:mad

Glug, glug, glug.....:w

been circling the drain since they went to templates instead of an actual stock car.I give nascar about 5 yrs.Then we start seeing the same thing as the indy cars.
Glenn
:w

I miss NASCAR not using templates, and Pontiac being a manufacturer, and races at Darlington, and Toyota not being the richest auto company in the world. :cry

I wish ALMS would have more races.

vett boy said:
There goes the neighborhood .

There is not much the almighty dollar won't buy from the "Bill France" Nascar mafia. I guess they'll get the Japanese baseball players to help recruit the driver for this deep pocket. I, too, will quit watching NASCAR when these ricers. I wonder how it would sound with one of those "fartcan" mufflers on it?

Pass the Saki...........

I'm with you guys-this sucks. Deep pockets? Ohhh, yeah. NASCAR's days are numbered.

Ditto on the consumer Camry looking like THAT one. Yeah, I already know they don't put a V-8 in the Monte Carlo or the Ford (Taurus/whatever) for the public. This Camry is playing that tune, I bet...:ugh

They are about to ruin yet another great thing at one time. I can hear the gurgle, too...

Rick

:w

C4Tom said:
NASCAR is(was) an American event, why soil it with foreign crap???

NASCAR is a business, who has a price just like everyone/everything else, and their fanbase grows every year.

Camry foreign? Maybe by name, but they're built in, and support many who work in their plant in Kentucky.

And is it that different from watching a motor in a "Taurus" or a "Monte Carlo" push 9000 rpm?

Rumor has it that Civics with special exhast templates are due in '08. :ugh

Glensgages[B said:
the sport has been 'circling-the-drain' since late the afternoon of 18 February 2001.....[/B]

I could not agree more.

P.T. Barnum once said that the public is never happier than when it is being deceived - this explains both the WWF and NASCAR to me...not my taste but hey, loads of people love to pony up and spend, and someone is just taking their money.

I belive it got way out of controll in the late 80s GM and Ford went to front wheel drive garbage and nascar let em cut and carve on them so now this is what we have.

1stiff84 said:
Camry foreign? Maybe by name, but they're built in, and support many who work in their plant in Kentucky.

YES! All foreign. Only assembled in the USA so that toyota can call them American made and steal more of the US market. Payed less than worker for the big three, less taxes paid. I suppose you believe that the jobs they are creating will make up for the higher paying jobs they are stealing from the big three??? 'Nuff said... if you haven't totally fallen for their marketing tactics, read about it.

C4Tom said:
I suppose you believe that the jobs they are creating will make up for the higher paying jobs they are stealing from the big three???

I believe that if I was an American auto worker today, I would count my blessings that I was not part of a 30k workforce reduction.

crzyvette said:
I, too, will quit watching NASCAR when these ricers. I wonder how it would sound with one of those "fartcan" mufflers on it?
" yo-yo-yo-yo-YOH!!!!! Wazz-UP????? ..... A-whooga-whooga-isk " :_rock

The next thing you know, NASCAR will be putting deck-mounted Top Fuel-style wings on the cars.....
:W

oh-wait..... they're already DOING that?????
:ugh

Great, just great

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom