Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI swap with stock harness

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I just started on my TPI swap. Thouhgt I had everything figured out ahead of time but as I figured poblems always find their way into the plan.

Problem 1: Im using a stock 1986 camaro z28 harness and I'm not sure how to hook up the fuel pump to it. If anyone has ever used a stock harness you know there is 4 plug connectors after the bulkhead. 2 for the ecu, 1 for the fuel injector lead to fuse, and 1 plug to hook everything to the dash/ignition switch crap. Now on that plug there is a "main power" wire for the fuel pump. what i cant figure out is how should i hook it up so that it runs (presurizes the system) when the key is turned to the "ON" position but then it has to shut off until the motor is running. How is this done???? does the ecu and relay control this?

Problem 2: Anyone know where i can get a decent sized roll of high pressure steel fuel line? And should the return line also be high pressure? I know that it usually is, but does it need to be?

thanx guys

You can use the original supply as your return line, I ran a 1/2" SS braided line for the supply with aeroquip fittings. I'm running a Holley external tank fuel pump mounted to the frame just in front of the tank above the spare tire... Worked like a trained pig.

I currently have an accel DFI that I want to switch over to regular Camaro style TPI. I have the small diameter camaro distributor that I want to reuse.
Do you know if there's any special requirement for the harness or can I just buy any GM TPI harness off of E-Bay or whatever and plug in a Camaro ECM?
I don't know what to look for.
thanks
David

Im also using the camaro distributor. Right now I'm trying to figure out which wires are which on the distributor. It has a pink wire and a white wire that I assume is for the coil but I dont know which is POS and which is NEG.

I know for a fact that the 80's harnesses differ from one to the other. I have 2 that are said to be 1986 Z28 harnesses. but they are both different. Also the 1985 harness and computer are diff from the 86-89 harness/computers.

Your best bet is to buy the painless harness kit. Also there are some cheaper verisons of the painless harness that some guy sells on ebay, not sure of the quality. The only reason I'm even trying to use the z28 harness is cause I got two of them.

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll try to remember to take a pic of my harness tomorrow evening and send (or post) it. Mine is Accel but the wire colors are most likely the same.

Your best bet is to buy the painless harness kit. Also there are some cheaper verisons of the painless harness that some guy sells on ebay, not sure of the quality. The only reason I'm even trying to use the z28 harness is cause I got two of them.

Just my $.02, but Mike Noonan makes a really awesome harness. Better than painless too.

EFI Connection, LLC - Welcome to www.eficonnection.com

He's also got a kit that runs an LS1 ECM and coil packs on an SBC. That's right- you can run an LS1 ECM on TPI. :happyanim:

FWIW- you could run steel hard line for the return or aluminum. There's no pressure on the return line.

Also... if you want to reuse the Camaro harness, you'll need to do some re-pinning to make it a stand alone. Contact Street & Performance in Mena AR. They could help steer you in the right direction. Or, contact Mike Noonan at EFI connection.

It sounds like you have a Mass Airflow car's harness (TPI from 1985-1989)... so don't forget about the MAF sensor and ducting.

Hope that helps!

update

So today I tried it out. I have spark and fuel pressure but the injectors do not spray.

Possible problems: does the fuel rail have to be grounded? I just had the fuel rail laying on top of the engine just to see if everyhing was working.

The vss is not hooked up or looped, but should it still start up?

Wire for the gear select is not gounded yet, that also shouldnt stop it from starting.

The factory z28 harness has an injector plug (hooks up inside car) with 3 wires, the two pink wires are to be hooked to a fuse and i assume they should just go to the "on" power source from the key.

This is why I like carburetors

OK nevermind all that, I think the problem is a ground to the injectors. Is it common to ground the injectors through the ignition control module in the distributor? Or could the pick-up coil be bad? I know the injectors will fail to fire if the pickup coil is bad...........but I have spark..

Might be worth it to buy a copy of a Haynes repair manual for an '86 camaro. Probably get one cheap on ebay.
good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom