Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPIS or B&B Exhaust

boldtx

Corvette
Soon
Looking for anyone that has the TPIS or B&B cat back for an L98. I want loud with performance. This winter I will be installing TPIS headers. Currently I have 2.25 flowmaster catback just doesn't have the sound I want.

The TPIS exhaust system is a reworked Flowmaster system. It's either a 2.75 or 3.00 inlet into Flowmaster mufflers. They do have the sound. They are very loud and resonance might be an issue. But like most Flowmasters, you will have to touch them up as the paint will flake off.

With re-doing the front part of the exhaust you might think about the rear. The TPIS headers come with a front Y-pipe so that gives you a start. Do you have to worry about emmissions? You can get the headers with or with out the fittings for the AIR injection/EGR. When I did mine I ran from the front Y to a Borla 3" in and out muffler from there I fabbed up a rear Y dump out. When I had the system on the L98 it sounded great. I pulled it from that car and put it behind the LT4. It sounds much like the stock LT4 exhaust at idle but louder at WOT. The GF says its quiter at idle than the LT4 exhaust so I guess its a toss up.

The real question is how much work can you do or have your exhaust shop do?

:w

:pat

I have an 85 with the TPIS catback & EM longtubes, and flowmaster front Y. The only bolt on mods I don't have are RR's, cam, & heads. Resonance is not a major issue - but the "boaty" sound is. It sounds like a boat at cruise, loud/mean at WOT, idle sounds deeper but not mean. You may have different results with your engine/mods. I would purchase it again, although you could probably just get a 3" y into some mufflers of your choice and get a more aggressive sound.

From what I have read magnaflow and B&B sound pretty aggresive. I was thinking about corsa until I saw that one of the outlets on each muffler is non working. What in your opinion wouLD have the most aggresive sound. Also should I go with 2.5" or jump to 3"

I'd go with a 3" for the L98. On other vette forums I've read threads where the B&B has resonance issues - so it must be loud too. I have a magnaflow high flow cat with the TPIS catback. I think magnaflow would be a more aggressive sounding system than the B&B

I've got Magnaflow exhaust on all my rides (2 Vettes, my dually, and even my wife's Suburban!), and recommend it highly...If they made slipons for Harleys, I'd use them there too!

Then again, I am a dealer for Magnaflow, so my opinion may be biased.:D

As far as the resonance issue goes...with any aftermarket system, they all resonate inside the cabin to one degree or another. It's all in what you're willing to accept in owning a modifed vehicle (Corvette or otherwise).

How hard would it be to mate the LT1 magnaflow 3" catback to my L98 and what would be needed. Starting this winter I will have TPIS headers with their y pipe so after that what will I need. Thanks

How hard would it be to mate the LT1 magnaflow 3" catback to my L98 and what would be needed. Starting this winter I will have TPIS headers with their y pipe so after that what will I need. Thanks
First off, the Magnaflow LT1 system is not 3", it's 2-3/4" (same size as OEM LT1). Secondly, the LTX systems are true dual exhaust systems, whereas the L98 systems are 2 into 1 into 2 systems. In addition, the 15632 Magnaflow LTX system is a muffler replacement system, not a true catback. You'll need 2-3/4" pipe (not all that common), and means to bend it, or get numerous mandrel bends to facilitate construction.

That being said... if your skillset includes fabrication ability, and you have access to the necessary tools and materials needed, it shouldn't be too bad to accomplish. If you're looking for a "bolt on" solution, you're out of luck. You're better to buy the Magnaflow L98 system and a high-flow cat for a "bolt on" type of solution. It's going to be spendy no matter what, especially throwing headers into the equation.

Good luck to you!

I have B&B on my 85 383 Super Ram, Lingenfelter 219/219 with Lingenfelter 1 &3/4 long tube headers. It sounds awesome and I sure can't sneak up on anyone. The exhaust note is definitely not a sleeper. If I idle through an underground parking lot, I generally set off a few motion sensing alarm systems on other cars without putting my foot on the throttle. I do not have a problem resonance. Plus, B&Bs look so much better! At full throttle, it sounds meaner than a junkyard dog.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom