Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPMS "issues"

leadfoot4

Corvette
2001 black coupe
Hello from a new member!!

I've been having some issues with my '01's tire pressure monitoring system lately, and I'm looking for some advice. I bought the car new, in June of 2001. The following spring, I put a set of CCW street classic wheels on the car. Mistake #1 was going to a GoodYear store to have the swap-over done.

They managed to put a couple of small mars in one of the wheels, but the biggest problem was that they knocked loose one of the "banded" sensors. I found this out, after I took the wheels to another shop for a re-balance, as GY didn't do this too well either. The tech at the second shop heard the sensor flopping around inside the RF tire and reattached it. I was good for a couple of years after that.

More recently, I was getting error codes from the RF pressure sensor. 99.9% of the time, it was while on my way to work, and roughly in the same place. I could reset the codes, and I'd be OK for a couple of days, but then if I drove the car to work again, more than lkely, I'd get the "service tire monitor" message on the DIC, and it would be the RF tire.

I recently got tired of dealing with this deal, so assumng that the sensor was probably damaged when it got knocked loose, I replaced it, and did the other side as well, just for good measure. After doing this, I did the "relearn" process for the sensors, and was good for a few days. Then I once again lost the RF reading, and once again, while on the way to work. Then, I couldn't get it to reset, and then, I couldn't get it to do the "relearn" at all, as the receiver wouldn't acknowledge the RF sensor.

At that point, I felt that it must be the receiver, so I eplaced that. Again, I was good for a while, but when I drove it to work, I got the Rf error. has anyone else experienced this? Any other ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

leadfoot4,
Welcome to the CAC.
I am a newbie to the TPMS (went from a 2002 Z06 to a 99 FRC this year), so I won't even try to guess what might be the problem.

Hopefully someone with experience here will come along and offer some suggestions.

Tammy

HI there,
Im a bit confused.
C5 never had banded tire pressure warning sensors.
These sensors were made integral with the valve stems.
If there was a band inside, that means that they are broken and someone tried to patch the problem.
You will have to replace the right front sensor and relearn them.
GM parts have a 12/12000 mile warranty on them, so you can return them if they are NOT IMPACT damaged.
Allthebest, c4c5

Pressure sensor

There was a change in the tire pressure sensors in 2001 to a new part number 25773946. The number before that was 10438853 which cost more than twice the one you have with the 2001. These are both mounted as an assembly integral to the valve stem, not banded as you stated or were told. Make sure you have had the proper sensor installed and there are some issues that have been traced back to using the wrong valve core or cap.

The best service I've had was from a Goodyear dealer and the least costly. Then again at a different Goodyear dealer I got good service and a bill that was outrageous. They should replace the parts they damaged and backup their service with some compensation for the problems they caused. There is no reason to pay for sub standard service from a company like Goodyear.

http://www.goodyear.com/email/faq.html

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1144 East Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44316-0001
(330) 796-2121
Fax: (330) 796-2222

Guys, thanks for your replies, HOWEVER, keep in mind that I have aftermarket wheels. This particular set up requires that the valve stems be cut off the OE sensors, and the sensors then are epoxied in place, with the bands used as an extra means of retention. The tires are filled with air through regular metal valve stems. The real problem, at this point, is why the RF sensor is acting erratically.

On one hand, I was tempted to go after the GoodYear store for their screw ups, but the manager started with the "It's not original equipment" line of crap, and his "technician" seemed to be a surly, jealous of Corvette owners, type of guy. Therefore, applying the "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me" principle, I decided to cut my losses, and find a better shop to deal with.

The TPM sensors are potted and have no moving parts. If they can be trained, I really don't see how they could be the problem. This place where it often happens (on the way to work)... is there anything unusual there (e.g., sharp turn, pothole, speed bump, etc.)? If so, it might suggest an electrical or mechanical intermittent. Since the TPM system interfaces to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), your best bet is to get a service manual and systematically follow the flow. Alternatively, try to narrow down the occurance "trigger" so that a technician could duplicate the problem, and bring it in for service. As a last resort, you could have the TPM system deprogrammed with a Tech2 (via the Remote Function Actuation menu).

GL!

There I go again, forgetting about something you didn't tell us. Aftermarket wheels made for a C5 Corvette are made to use the C5 sensors. That's what I ran on the '98 and the '04 without shade tree alterations. Now if you bought wheels to jury rig onto a C5, then jury rig the sensors to them I can't see where there should be a problem. The end result should be a jury rigged TPMS and that's what you have.

By the way, the Goodyear dealer may not be the problem.

:confused

Guys, thanks for your replies, HOWEVER, keep in mind that I have aftermarket wheels. This particular set up requires that the valve stems be cut off the OE sensors, and the sensors then are epoxied in place, with the bands used as an extra means of retention. The tires are filled with air through regular metal valve stems. The real problem, at this point, is why the RF sensor is acting erratically.

On one hand, I was tempted to go after the GoodYear store for their screw ups, but the manager started with the "It's not original equipment" line of crap, and his "technician" seemed to be a surly, jealous of Corvette owners, type of guy. Therefore, applying the "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me" principle, I decided to cut my losses, and find a better shop to deal with.

Valve stems cut off the sensors, epoxied in place and banded on the wheel?? Not sure who would warrantee that set up.

Valve stems cut off the sensors, epoxied in place and banded on the wheel?? Not sure who would warrantee that set up.

Ah, thanks, but I wasn't looking for a warranty repair. I was hoping to get some insight on why one sensor would drop out of communication with the car....

Mr. Lucky, I was thinking along the same line as you, but I couldn't pin it down as to exactly what caused the problem to occur. It occurred in roughly the same place, give or take a quarter mile, same time of day, but not in the afternoon, or on the same way back home from work. It's just plain weird....

My tire pressure sensor does the same thing, and from what I can tell (bought the car used), it is the original wheels and tires. When I drive on the freeway, after about a half hour the "service tire pressure monitoring system" warning comes on and the right rear tire presure reads "XXX" (literally - 3 x's). Since I can never get it to duplicate around town when I am near the dealership, I just hit "reset" and ignore it. The tire pressure returns to normal readout until the next time the warning light goes on.

Since my car is 8 years old (actually just turned 9 on 10/03/06!) I figure it might be the sensor battery - but it doesn't happen often enough for me to shell out $100 for a new one - yet.

Since the wheels are after market do you know if they are made of ferirous metal. If they are the RF signal may have a problem penetrating the wheel. The RF can penetrate the tire, but I'm not sure of the signal strength.

Since the wheels are after market do you know if they are made of ferirous metal. If they are the RF signal may have a problem penetrating the wheel. The RF can penetrate the tire, but I'm not sure of the signal strength.

Interesting thought, however the wheels are aluminum, same as original equipment.

Pinky, your car is doing the exact same thing as mine, only the wheel that stops communicating with the car is the RR for you, and RF for me. I just can't figure it.

Leadfoot, my TPMS must've heard us talking about it because I've gotten the warning message 3 times in the last 2 days - all times while driving around town. It's GOT to be either a loose connection or failing battery (hope hope hope).

Pinky, sorry to hear of your car's worsening condition. Just out of curiosity, are you getting the error message anywhere near the same place, or is it random, with respect to location?

What the heck happened to my reply from yesterday? Have I been banned?

If not, I'll repeat myself: the error messages are random, including one that came on when starting the car first thing in the morning.

Pinky, it sounds like your battery(s) are fading on you, especially considering they're possibly 8 years old. Fichtner Chevrolet, 800-234-5284 was running a special on them in October for $34 each. Don't know if the sale is still on....

Good luck...

I just replaced the two rear sensors on my '99 and reprogrammed the system. The car STILL doesn't read them. What now? Also, what's the difference betweer the display saying
LrXXX and Lr___(Blanks)

tire sensors

Im sorry you are having such a problem. I wonder if there is a way of disableling these sensors. Who needs them anyway? I have had many cars but quite frankly I would rather not have them. I can check my own tires without being told its low or something. I think its just added technology that does little and can cause major headaches. So far my 2000 a/4 has not given me any error codes but if it does I will try to eliminate this (tire sensor) electrical gadget. food for thought. edram454

Im sorry you are having such a problem. I wonder if there is a way of disableling these sensors. Who needs them anyway? I have had many cars but quite frankly I would rather not have them. I can check my own tires without being told its low or something. I think its just added technology that does little and can cause major headaches. So far my 2000 a/4 has not given me any error codes but if it does I will try to eliminate this (tire sensor) electrical gadget. food for thought. edram454
I should just ignore them but I am so compulsive they HAVE to work. Besides, at this point I have amost $300 invested in "the cure."

i hear you

Jay I understand and at this point you must forge on but if there was a way to eliminate these sensors from the computer, in my case, I would. I am also very picky and would not be able to ignore error codes so I would figure out how to eliminate or fool the computer to think the tires had proper inflation. I wish you lots of luck and will be eager to find out the outcome. ed ramos.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom