Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tps

jstkrsn

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Conv.
This isn't on my vet, but my other GM car, an Olds Aurora. It idles OK, revs OK when on WOT to 6200. but when doing 30-40 and give it a little gas it hesitates, stumbles, surges like its running out of gas. I changed the O2 senser. I barely pased my HC and the smog guyu thought it was the O2 senser going out. It has 56K on it. Now I'm thinking it is the TPS. I give it a little throttle, it gets more air but the TPS doesn't tell the ECM that it needs gas also. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Try this

Did u change your gas filter,, most the time hesatation is do to cloged filter,, i own a 1985, i have replaced my tps,, i used to have heitation, im not sure what i did to fix it.. but all i knwo is every sensor on my car has been replaced, u might want to try your egr valve, maybe its cloged,,, i dont' think its your tps,, those rarely go out, at least someone told me that,

one mor ething

tps sensors only cost 20 bucks, i think,,,

I found a TPS for $38. I don't think it's the fuel filter because it excelerates find under WOT (wide open throttle) right up to red line at 6200 rpm. So it's has to be some senser that the ECM ignores when at WOT.

TPS

well it wasn't the TPS. still runs good from 5000 to 6200 rpm. But not under. Any ideas? Too many sensers on these new cars.

I had a similar situation on the 82. Drove me nuts. Turned out to be the EGR. Did not replace it, just cleaned the port. My hesitation was just below the 1000 range. Idle was fine and WOT was fine. I know the two engines are night and day but worth a look since it's N/C.;)

hehe

u got your egr valve and your egr senaoild "can't spell"

the vlave is located under your plenume and the senaolid is on the passager side near the fire wall.. lke he said just clean it out,, see if it works.. u should run a code tester on it though,,

Thanks for your help guys, but actually it was the cheap junk GM wires and plugs. Four of the wires were shorting out against the valve cover and two of the plugs had large cracks in the porcellin. I replaced them with Accel 8mm wires and Bosch +4 plugs. Runs better than new.

Yeah, when in doubt, change the wires!
I had a similar story on my '89 several years ago; I was convinced it couldn't be the wires, since it ran fine at WOT!
For a while...

I guess it's just enough tougher to get those lean part-throttle mixtues ignited that the problem shows up first in moderate driving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom