Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Track tips!

F

FordNoMore!

Ok Im going to venture off to the track friday nite,im used to draging with Manual trannys,now that I have a auto, I would presume tactics are different,I know the ARS should be off,fly in drive or go through the upshifts?, the Firehawks SZ50's I have hook up pretty darn good on the streets, so I would imagine with a little heat added they should do good, I think it will be fun just putting the pedal to the floor and letting the machine do its job,less room for error I do believe. Any suggestions would be appreciated,thanx..Happy Motoring

I have Goodyear Ultras on my 95, and with the ASR off my car is a best of maybe a mid-14 due to wheelspin. With the ASR on, and just a slight spin at start I ran a best of 13.4, as long as your tire hook you should have no problems.. I also am not to crazy about power braking my car and flashing the temp of the tranny fluid.

Good luck

Check out the articel by Jim Ingle on the CAC at: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/perform.html

Jim Ingle said "The ideal launch speed is not that which induces minimum wheelspin, but one that maximizes rate of acceleration at vehicle speeds in 1st gear where the no-tire-slip speed puts the engine below its torque peak. In other words, spinning the tires provides much of the same effect that a torque converter does for automatics that don't produce tire spin (typically 900-1200 RPM with the current LT1 engine)."

I thought I saw another article by him or another corvette engineer on the subject. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Thanx for the info Montana, I read the article,it mainly was tests of the ZR1,which I do believe all were manual trannys,Very interesting though. I guess I will trial and error at the track and see what works,either way ,the Heat here in Vegas is climbing so I do believe that will be a big factor in the performance outcome.Thanx again..HaPpY MoToRiNg:beer

Originally posted by montanabob
Jim Ingle said "The ideal launch speed is not that which induces minimum wheelspin, but one that maximizes rate of acceleration at vehicle speeds in 1st gear where the no-tire-slip speed puts the engine below its torque peak. In other words, spinning the tires provides much of the same effect that a torque converter does for automatics that don't produce tire spin (typically 900-1200 RPM with the current LT1 engine)."

I agree the top of the statement, but I feel the bottom part is misleading. I have driven some car at the track that need to keeep the RPM up, to get the engine in its power band, but it not need with the broad power band of a L98 or LT1. Spinning the tires at the track with an Lt1 or L98 is just going to slow down the car. The runs I don't spin (my bests time with slight tire squeals), are my best ET's.

street and strip racing are 2 different beasts! i run my car in street trim meaning keeping tire pressures the same not dropping the rear settings but some do and i've heard between 24-28 lbs of air. this does help with traction.

read my post here for alot more info on launching at the strip.

click here

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom