Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailer Wheel Nets.....from Macs Custom Tie Down

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Used my wheel nets for the first time today bringing the car home. WOW it is so much easier to tie the car down than to try and get axle straps on to the car and strapped down. Macs made custom wheel nets depending on the size tire for me and I also got their mounting track. 34 screws per side later the track was down. Very simple.

IMG_0910Small-vi.jpg

it uses what they call the idler link that enables the wheel net to be pulled straight down and then out to the front or slightly off center (not 90 degrees to the track) to tighten down the net on top of the wheel.
IMG_0911Small-vi.jpg

IMG_0912Small-vi.jpg

IMG_0913Small-vi.jpg

IMG_0914Small-vi.jpg

IMG_0915Small-vi.jpg

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=24

Questions? I will be glad to answer if I can.....
Herb

Herb cool trailer set up

I always wanted to go to that type of a tie down set up , but I always hear mixed things

1-tie to frame and the car sits rigid on the trailer

2-tie to the wheels and allow the suspention in the car to work also,but with a heavy car you feel the mass moving (as in a tanker truck, or live stock trailer.)

Herb cool trailer set up

I always wanted to go to that type of a tie down set up , but I always hear mixed things

1-tie to frame and the car sits rigid on the trailer

2-tie to the wheels and allow the suspention in the car to work also,but with a heavy car you feel the mass moving (as in a tanker truck, or live stock trailer.)
I really like this set up. I can find an easy place to attach to, I don't think I ever did the same thing twice before. The wheels are held down so the body floats on the shocks and suspension....

Of course my suspension is to rigid, I don't think it matters any way :D

At any rate, it is very easy to use and that is what I like best about it. Ease of use! Besides the wheel nets were RED, how could I not go this way??? haha.....actually you have your choice of a couple of colors......

Herb

Herb:

I have an aluminum trailer similar in size to yours, only not a dovetail and I have been thinking of getting a tire net setup. On your trailer is the attachment rail screwed into one on the longitudinal beams under the aluminum deck? Is that the reason the tires are riding on top of the rail?

Did you use steel or aluminum tracking?

Charles

Herb:

I have an aluminum trailer similar in size to yours, only not a dovetail and I have been thinking of getting a tire net setup. On your trailer is the attachment rail screwed into one on the longitudinal beams under the aluminum deck? Is that the reason the tires are riding on top of the rail?

Did you use steel or aluminum tracking?

Charles
I used aluminum tracking with stainless steel bolts/washers to hold it down.

The reason the tires are riding on top of the rail is so that the wheel net gets centered on the tire and the straps that go straight up from the track to the net portion are also centered on the tire.

The bolts are spaced every 6". The bolts only attach through the decking. There is a rib either side of the bolt within 1" or so that runs the length of the trailer as part of the decking extrusion.

I am thinking I will probably go back and put a bar across the ribs and run a longer bolt but that probably doesn't have to be done, except for peace of mind for a select couple of "key" bolts. Having the car sit on the rail just means that it would really have to lift off the trailer, like trailer flip to be a problem.

I am really satisfied with how it holds down the car and more importantly the "ease" by which it gets tied down and untied. Much much much easier!

Also, if you call them, and have your tire sizes they will make specific nets for your wheels. So no wheel too big nor too small for them to cover and grab.

let me know if you have more questions.....

I used aluminum tracking with stainless steel bolts/washers to hold it down.

The reason the tires are riding on top of the rail is so that the wheel net gets centered on the tire and the straps that go straight up from the track to the net portion are also centered on the tire.

The bolts are spaced every 6". The bolts only attach through the decking. There is a rib either side of the bolt within 1" or so that runs the length of the trailer as part of the decking extrusion.

I am thinking I will probably go back and put a bar across the ribs and run a longer bolt but that probably doesn't have to be done, except for peace of mind for a select couple of "key" bolts. Having the car sit on the rail just means that it would really have to lift off the trailer, like trailer flip to be a problem.

I am really satisfied with how it holds down the car and more importantly the "ease" by which it gets tied down and untied. Much much much easier!

Also, if you call them, and have your tire sizes they will make specific nets for your wheels. So no wheel too big nor too small for them to cover and grab.

let me know if you have more questions.....

Herb Just as we insure more for catastophic loss then a simple claim, You should also thing that way with your tie downs

I use that system to hold down our Backhoe on our car trailer and always thought a couple of screws hear and there and the weight of the backhoe will keep it secure, But the problem is if its not actually bolted thru to the bottom of the trailer with plate, it couls possibly tear the tracks right off of the trailer.

Our backhoe has no suspention except for the flex in the tires

Nicely done, Firstgear!

This is a solid example of a Mac's installation. I do agree that you would want a backing plate near the tire locations for full strength.

Since we still make our wheel nets here in the USA, we can custom fit a net to your tire size like we did for Firstgear. Also, our track is available in a recessed version, and could be welded to an aluminum deck in lieu of bolts.

Thanks again for your support, Firstgear. Seeing customers excited about our products never gets old!

Jeremy Smith

Mac's Custom Tie Downs
jeremy@macscustomtiedowns.com
(800) 666-1586

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom