Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tranny rebuild kit

S

sscam69

I am wondering where to buy a rebuild kit for my tranny.

What I mean by rebuid is all the seals and the gears as well. I have a 79 L-82 manual 4 spd. I have read in other posts that its either a saginaw or a borg and warner.

If i am correct borg and warner bought out the rights to the muncie and named it T-10 or super T-10. Is this correct?

I have looked at the casing and have compared it to pics of a saginaw and B&G and it looked like a B&G but not to sure. Its kinda hard getting to the i.d. numbers. If I am correct its at the top of the tranny?

In either case I would like to know where I could get the rebuild kits for these trannys. I am looking for a rebuild kit that can handle about 500ftlbs of torque or more. I saw a great article in car craft on building an aftermarket muncie with a "do it yourself video". Can I bolt the muncie in place of what I have now without having to modify the crossmember?

As much abuse as my car has taken from the previous owners both interally, externally and the engine I would not expect the tranny to of have taken any less. Its the only thing I have not touched and if i crack it open I would not be suprised to see a few chipped teeth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Frank

Hi there,
Your first course of action, would be to contact your local dealership, and they can print out an exploded diagram of your transmission.
Then, depending on what you can get from GM, you can go to GM parts direct, or through the dealership there.
Also, you may be able to contact BorgWarner for rebuild parts.
Just remember, synchronizers, forks, bearings will all be sold separatly under normal circumstances.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Will a muncie drop right into place of my T-10?

Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom