Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tranny tail cone

• Thread starter Thread starter Doug'sL81
  • Start date Start date
D

Doug'sL81

Since I'm replacing u-joints and found a nice groove in the neck of the yolk that connects to the out put shaft. I decided to replace the rear seal and bushing, I found that I had a heck of a time getting to the rear seal. The cross member gets in the way and I can't easily access the seal, so I decided to take the tail cone off. That was a fun experience but I did get the tail cone un-bolted, however the same cross member won't let me take the tail cone off. Do I try to force the tail cone through or is there something else I need to do? Has someone come across this problem? Life would be much easier if I could get the dang thing off. Thanks for any help. BTW GM does not make that yoke anymore the closest replacement part from spicer has a shorter neck and cost $200.00 so I went to my machinist and he welded on some metal over the groove and turned it. It came out good as new and only cost me $40.00.

Doug

I have two manuals here and both show the tail cone removed to replace the seal. You might try setting a floor jack under the crossmember to support it and loosen the bolts on the cross memeber and drop it a bit to get the tail cone clear. Before you replace the yoke take it to the local bearing house and ask for a speedi-sleeve. This device slips over the damaged shaft and creates a new surface for the seal to ride against. I've used dozens on pump shafts and gear shafts with great success. It may even be available at the local NAPA.

This is for a speedo gear change but it might help, if I remember correctly the crossmember has to come down to get the tail cone off. It's not hard to remove the crossmember, just use a block of wood on a jack to support the tranny then unbolt the crossmember, and you can use the jack to raise/lower the tranny when reinstalling the crossmember.

http://www.c3sharktank.com/tech2/speedo.html

THANKS!!

You guys are the best. I knew I'd find the answer here. Someday I hope to be able to share info to help others. Thanks again.

Doug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom