Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trans fluid question

mikevochis

Corvette
03 50th Convert, 91 & 94 coupes & 96 Collectors
A good friend of mine has a 1986 coupe with 72,000 miles. He wants to change the trans fluid and has some questions. The fluid is not burnt or dirty this is just maintenance. Do you recommend a flush or to drop the pan? Regular ATF or synthetic? What brand? How many quarts? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike,

recently did this about 1 month ago. I just dropped the pan, didn't get all of it, but I'm sure I did get a lot of it out.

As for how many quarts, I'm not sure. I bought about 7 quarts or so. You just have to check the fluid level.

I went with regular ATF and not synthetic, I think the brand was MaxLife or something like that. I have 90,000 miles on the car and the guy at the shop recommended that for older engines.

I went with a Fram kit, it only costs about $14.00 or so. It actually took almost an hour to do. I even used sealer on the gasket.

No leaks so far:D

put sealer on sparingly, it won't do any good if it gets inside the transmission.
Might add some LubeGuard, take a look at their page it will keep down fluid oxidation.

JS

jsinga said:
put sealer on sparingly, it won't do any good if it gets inside the transmission.
Might add some LubeGuard, take a look at their page it will keep down fluid oxidation.

JS

Words of wisdom from a man on 200K. Wow! I hope that mine can last that long!:upthumbs

We try not to use sealer at all actually if a chunk up that crap gets in your valve body..Its over

Bullwinkles spot on, buy a kit that includes a new filter and a gasket. But when you take off the pan make sure you clear the magnet of the bottom and to clean it (And the underside of the trans) well.

Then simply fill what you've lost.

If you want to go extreme (In cases where the fluid is REAL bad) do the same procedure but when your done go get a flush.

No flush:nono Drop pan, change filter, rubber gasket(cork su#**)
quality ATF, go for a ride and enjoy:cool

Do not over tighten:nono Torque 15lbs:w

I changed mine at 150k, used Mobile 1 ATF. I used permetex #2 sealer, being very careful used my finger and applied a thin film on both sides of the gasket (mainly used to help with assembly). Two main issues do not over tighen pan bolts (use a alternating torque pattern) and do not put too much fuild in (check the levels at operating temp per manual). I believe I used 5 qts.

C4Ever: you are the second person i have seen that says: No Flush, I have always been a fan of flushing the system at 50k miles, am curious why you recommend against it? AGE of seals etc? I have been getting ready to flush my trans(87 w/91k, and no idea if any PM was ever done), but am becoming leery noiw of doing so, But i would not hesitate to do so on my 97 Dodge.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom