Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flushing Hydraulic System

RonnieH

Corvette
2012 Crystal Red Metallic
My 2012 has 4400 miles only, but I want to flush the hydraulic clutch system - not merely change the fluid in the master cylinder. I was able to do this with my C5, but those of you who have done it know it isn't the easiest thing to do. Removal of +30 bolts from the torque pan, dropping the exhaust and locating the master cylinder bleed valve by feel. I know several people swear by the "Ranger" method, but that does not truly flush the system. Some contaminated hydraulic fluid remains in the slave cylinder and moisture in the hydraulic fluid causes performance issues and can possibly lead to slave cylinder failure.

My question - is the process for bleeding the slave cylinder the same for the C6 as for the C5? It would be too much to expect GM to install an extension on the bleeder valve with all the problems they have had with the C5 hydraulic fluid becoming contaminated with moisture and causing the clutch to malfunction over the years.

Thanks for any advice.

It's a tough deal to completely service the clutch system. I just change out the master on a regular basis. I've actually read where some guys run a really slim tube clear down to the slave and suck out the fluid at that point. I haven't gone that far, but changing out the master on a very regular basis is about as good as I can hope.

My 2012 has 4400 miles only, but I want to flush the hydraulic clutch system - not merely change the fluid in the master cylinder. I was able to do this with my C5, but those of you who have done it know it isn't the easiest thing to do. Removal of +30 bolts from the torque pan, dropping the exhaust and locating the master cylinder bleed valve by feel. I know several people swear by the "Ranger" method, but that does not truly flush the system. Some contaminated hydraulic fluid remains in the slave cylinder and moisture in the hydraulic fluid causes performance issues and can possibly lead to slave cylinder failure.

My question - is the process for bleeding the slave cylinder the same for the C6 as for the C5? It would be too much to expect GM to install an extension on the bleeder valve with all the problems they have had with the C5 hydraulic fluid becoming contaminated with moisture and causing the clutch to malfunction over the years.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes it is basically the same.

Yes it would be too much to expect, GM figures that it is a lifetime fluid for the clutch and that when you do need a clutch you will replace the hydraulic slave cylinder at the same time and flush the system.

Keep in mind that those remote bleeders can leak and cause problems.

As I Expected

Thanks very much for both replies. I expected the procedure to be the same. When I did my C5, dropping the torque pan and exhaust was easier than expected if you have access to a lift. I wouldn't want to do it with the car on jack stands and lying on my back under the car. None of the bolts were rusted or seized and every thing came off easily and reattached w/o much problem. But still, GM could have made this such a simple procedure with a factory installed bleed valve extender.

I may check with a couple of dealers and see what they charge. If they would do it for around $100 - $125, it is an insurance policy just like frequent oil/filter changes. I just have to make sure they do a true "flush".

Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom