Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trans leak

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Alrighty, now that I have my lift in place, I've had some time to get under the Vette and look around to see what the little oil leak I have is from. Thinking it was engine oil, but no I can clearly see that it is Trans fluid. Anyone have any experience with these leaks? It appears to be dripping from right below the electrical connector at the back.

What are the prime suspects?

My guess would be the seal at the electrical connector. It has a O-ring that may be dry rotted or just deterioting.

:w

thanks Gerald, I'll check that out.

You have a lift now Tom? Wow I really gotta keep up! :L

We all have to get together as soon as this weather is reasonably predictable!

You have a lift now Tom? Wow I really gotta keep up! :L

We all have to get together as soon as this weather is reasonably predictable!

Hey Bill, yea, I bought a four post lift, it was delivered two weeks ago.
garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-20.jpg

Now what do you think of the trans leak that I have? I have found, in the FSM, the place where it appears to be leaking is called the "Vehicle Speed sensor". The FSM is pretty clear that it has a little O-ring, but if I remove the "sensor" is trans fluid going to come gushing out or will it be a control-able amount? And do you think that this O-ring is the probable source for my leak?

First move that Pontiac! ;LOL:upthumbs;LOLRed tranny fluid will not look very good on it, plus it might peel the paint.

Most likely it will cause a bit of fluid to come out, it won't gush out per say but it will most likely leak quite a bit. I would drain the fluid. Now would be a good time to do a fluid/filter change. Simply remove the bolts from the tranny pan, leaving two or three in one corner (just loosen these) most of the fluid will drain out. Now remove the last bolts, and carefully remove the pan. There will still be some fluid in it. When you pull the filter make sure the seal comes out also. It should be attached to the neck of the filter, but sometimes it will stay in the orafice. When we did the fluid change on Rain's '96 we found two seals. Guess the place it was done at before just pulled the filter and replaced it without checking for the seal.

It seems like the VSS has two 10mm bolts holding a bracket to keep it in place. Sort of like a distributor hold down, if you know what I mean. I may be incorrect on the size but they are pretty small.

Best of luck.
G

Tom my bad I was thinking of the electrical connector on the passengerside, near the dipstick. It might leak a bit as it is above the pan.

The VSS connector is in the tailshaft on the drivers side, being in the tailshaft it shouldn't leak very much at all. Nothing more than a couple of rags couldn't soak up.

Gerald, Thanks, I think you are right this is probably a good time to do a fluid and filter change. While I am in there are there any other O-rings or seals that I should change out that might be prone to leakage?

Oh, and the lift came with "drip trays" and they have done a perfect job (so far) of catching the drips.

Gerald, Thanks, I think you are right this is probably a good time to do a fluid and filter change. While I am in there are there any other O-rings or seals that I should change out that might be prone to leakage?

Oh, and the lift came with "drip trays" and they have done a perfect job (so far) of catching the drips.
While your at it,just as well change the dip stick tube o-ring and while you have the pan off change the selector shaft seal too!! You can get the seal and O-rings at most any parts store that has a good assortment! (NAPA,O'Rileys,Auto Zone,Parts Plus,Advance):upthumbs

Well I got the VSS removed and the O-ring looks like it might be the culprit, it's very flat on the one side....unless that is the way it is supposed to be?

I'll check into getting a new filter too.

It should be nice and round in both aspects, shape and cross section.

I believe that I may have found the culprit! I'll let you all know when I get it put back together.

I might be late replying to this thread but you should build yourself one of these:

vacuum.jpg

It's just a gas can with a 3/8" fitting drilled in there with a long piece of tube. Stick that tube down the dipstick tube and run a shopvac through the pouring hole (is that really a part?) of the gas tank.

That way, you'll extract the trans fluid so there won't be much left in the pan when you drop the pan. Less mess that way. Probably cost me about $15 and you can get all the stuff from any hardware store.

I might be late replying to this thread but you should build yourself one of these:

vacuum.jpg

It's just a gas can with a 3/8" fitting drilled in there with a long piece of tube. Stick that tube down the dipstick tube and run a shopvac through the pouring hole (is that really a part?) of the gas tank.

That way, you'll extract the trans fluid so there won't be much left in the pan when you drop the pan. Less mess that way. Probably cost me about $15 and you can get all the stuff from any hardware store.

Edmond, you're not too late for me, what a great idea.

Edmond, you're not too late for me, what a great idea.

Tom, like Junk said...dipstick tube and selector shaft 0-ring (this one is a common leak point). You might also consider installing a drain plug into your trans oil pan to make the next trans service a LOT easier!

Nice lift dood! :upthumbs

Bill

Trans. suggestions...

Tom.....I just serviced a 4L60E trans. last weekend and so I'm pretty fresh on the process. Be sure to use only light vaseline, or specific trans. assembly lube on the filter neck seal, and on that o-ring that you're replacing. This comes from the OE factory manual for that transmission. Also remember that you are leaving about 8qts. of used fluid in the torque converter unless you go through the process of flushing it. It's not that hard actually, google the "Hoot Method" which appears on a couple of the GM diesel truck forums. Those guys spend as much attention on their transmissions as we do on our overall cars. On fluid, Dex VI is the latest and is GM's replacement recommendation. Everyone has their own opinion but I don't get creative on automatic transmission fluid, additives or mods. Just keep it clean and cool.

And nice lift! Can you still open your overhead door?

One of my former students, who went on to a vocational school for Auto mechanics, happened to stop by today and he had a new O-ring in his tool box. So I am fixed up in that department. I'll see about the filter tomorrow.

Yes now that the door has been converted to high lift I can open the door with the Vette all the way up on the lift and I still have about 3" clearance.

garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-19.jpg

garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-17.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom