Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trans Re-Build

L

LarryK 87

Car has to go in for a Trans rebuild. Place comes referred by the local vette shop, so what kind of questions, requested re-build items etc should i check on or request?

Car will go in with in the next day or so ( if it makes it that far )

Get the GM rebuild!!!!

Call & find out what THAT costs for the RAW tranny & the price to R&R it

Vig!

Bill Branch Chevrolet:
1400.00 + labor ( just happened to be there yesterday )

Lee County Transmissions. (Referred)
was 900.00 - 1400 depending on damage ( seemed knowledgable on vettes and Irocs )

What kind of warranty will ya get?

On the reman?

ohhh, good question, did not even think of that one, will add that to the list of questions to be asked

Other Questions on Tranny rebuild

1) To give you the ACTUALL printed spec's on the torque converter.

2) What consists of a Torque Converter rebuild?

3) Who's rebuild kit do they use?

4) How do they FLUSH the rest of the Tranny cooling system ( lines in car & Radiator )

5) Do they recomend an inline filter for the tranny lines?

6) Are they a part of the BBB?

7) And ask for their Biz License #... you can research em on the web.

I got HOSED on a tranny deal on my 88 and I am VERY gunshy about this...

Vig!

all good questions,
The GM Warr. is 3/36k,
as to the Torq rebuild, i assume it is a replacement ( didnt know you could rebuild one) but i do know the diff, on brased vs stamped vanes.

Just had the trans flushed about 3 weeks ago at a local Lube shop so not to worried there ( I sat there and watched them ), as i had them do my fuel filter also. nice thing about places like that ya can sit 4 feet away and watch every move they make to assure it is done right.

Larry,
What are your symptoms? I'm just getting used to my first Corvette. The transmission seems a bit slow (very slight delay in going into gear after shifting to drive, some less than positive shifting under light loads, etc.) I plan on having the tranny serviced (flush & filter) soon. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Gary

started with a shuddering noise when under a light/medium load and shifting from 2nd to Drive, and turning right.
got to the point it would shudder 2nd to drive on straight line
Now shudders under medium load in low gear to 2nd shift

Local shop (Corvette Connection here in Ft. Myers) said the 2nd-3rd(drive) plates are the smallest ones and the easiest/first to fail. Problem stems from the TCC, and cars generally being driven with shifter in OD, then TCC release fails, and well the rest is history. He recommend do not used OD, or shift it manualy, and allow the TCC to stay disengaged, harder on gas mileage, but easier on trans.

And yes i highly recommend a full flush, and filter change, assuming your trans is still mechanicaly sound, it will smooth out the shift, and get the residual crap out of the system.
Any reputable Quick lube place is more that capable of doing it, Plus you can stand about 4 ft away and watch (keep an eye on)them, and not be told to leave .

Larry,
Thank you for your response and suggestions, and the warning signs.
It's great to have access to folks with direct experience.
Cheers,
Gary:)

have chased down several, all members of ATRA, all seemed knowledageable, requested price on full rebuild to include planatary's, confirmed all included new Torq convert, and either Corvette servo, or the HP servo, 3 of them knew immed. what i was talking about. quotes ran near the same @ $1300.00 + tax out the door. Warr. is 12/12 and one shop had an extended warr. 5/100k @+ $325.00. 1 shop has worked on vettes, 1 other the owner owns a vette.

all will do the work ASAP, drop off monday, pick up wednesday.
BTW all use the Dayton TC

also called an AAMCO their price was $1500.00 with 12/unlimit warr. and offered an extended 3/50l for 495.00

My trans went kablooey back in jan. i went with a GM Goodwrench unit and got the 3/36 warranty. so far so good.Sad thing is my car only had 24k on it.

Transmission

Just my 2 cents but I got a Hughes Perfomance 700R4 for $1550.TC was about 250,2500 stall.That is if you put it in yourself.They said it would handle 600 horse,25,000 miles without a problem behind about 430 horses.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom