Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission 4+3

I just found this forum and I like it already.

I have had an '88 4+3 for about 8 years. I am very pleased to see some people speaking about the 4+3 with the respect it deserves. I have heard so many people condemn it, most of them just speaking like Myna birds with no personal experience.

In 8 years, I have replaced the micro switch at the bottom of the stick and the magnetic coil at the valve body, that's all.

I have seen people write that these are nothing but problems and they are no good. Mine has been durable and fun to drive.

I do not use the clutch when shifting in or out of overdrive, but I do match the power. If I am slowing down from highway speed, when the speed feels right, I press the button while applying very light throttle. With this method, it is very smooth shifting. Once I got the feel of the throttle and the shifting, I used the button even when downshifting to pass. The key is using light throttle application to smooth the shift.

My $0.02,

Thank's for the great feedback Doc, and welcome to our family. :upthumbs

I agree that people have a tendency to repeat discouraging words about something when they have no personal experience. That's how the rumors start. ;)

I had nary a problem with my DN 4+3 until it decided not to stay in overdrive. Thinking it was the unit that was starting to show signs of slippage, I decided to replace it with a rebuilt unit. The nightmare begins there. :eyerole

In the end, it turned out that the relay was the culprit the whole time, and here I was throwing piles of money at it... And they call 'em "technicians" nowadays! :r

_ken :w

Ouch!

The levers that go on the transmission (as opposed to the shifter itself) don't particularly increase the effort, imo, certainly not to the point of making it objectionable or hard to shift. If the linkage is hanging up on 2-3, it could be a neutral adjustment or some rod binding, depending upon the specific installation and rods. The only way to tell for sure might be to watch it from underneath.

Some of the older vettes came from the factory with two holes drilled not only for the shift linkage, but also for the tie rod location (to speed up the steering) so owners could change it themselves. Too bad they quit doing it.

LarryBible said:
I just found this forum and I like it already.

I have had an '88 4+3 for about 8 years. I am very pleased to see some people speaking about the 4+3 with the respect it deserves.

Welcome Larry....
Yes since I have had mine re-built I love driving my car again....Its lots of fun to have such a wide range of gearing....

I didn't say I crashed HER button!

A black keyboard? Man, the South really got to you, eh? :L

Since we're on the subject of this often misunderstood monster, Does everyone realize that the early 4+3's (through "86 model year I think) have a plastic bushing between the trans output and OD input? The later ones have an "Oillite" (bronze bushing.) If you ever rebuild, make sure you update to the bronze bushing. For the earlier ones, this commonly shows itself by leaking trans grease into the OD unit.

I learned this a few years ago when I thought the trans itself was going bad, but it turned out to be the magnetic coil at the valve body. This was the point at which I almost did what you did Ken, rebuild the whole unit. The only thing that kept me from taking that step was the fact that I'm the worlds worst "pinch penny."

I have learned that if the problem with your 4+3 is that it won't go in OD, the problem is electrical.

Have a great day,

Gordon Killebrew told me at Bowling Green last year he had a friend who found solution to eliminate the chance of the two fluids co-mingling in the event of a blown seal; he used synthetic ATF in both of the transmission cases. He said it was a little noisier, but he never had the contamination problem again. ;)

Makes sense to me. Modern manual transmissions seem to be quite happy with light weight oil. I don't have the comingling problem (yet), hopefully I never will, but I remember this if I ever get to that point.

Have a great day,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom